Wiki Posts
Search

Help figure out travel itinerary to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Help figure out travel itinerary to Asia

Hello folks,

I am looking for some advise on how to book the following in one award routing in saver economy:

I am traveling alone and would like to visit REP, but my final destination is HYD. So,

ORD - BKK
BKK - REP

after few days,

REP - BKK
BKK - HYD

I am hoping if I can price this to 42.5k UA miles in saver economy. Is this even possible? When I tried, it shows 75k miles. This is in the month of December. From what I see, award availability has long layovers.

I also tried HKG instead of BKK. I do have AA miles that I could use. But it won't be 35k in economy to get to HYD.

Please let me know of efficient routing and share your thoughts.

Thank you!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA - PP ; Hyatt , Hilton - Diamond
December is always in demand travel time..

Tough chances.. try in the first half of the month, mid week travel..
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by curiousGal
.... I am traveling alone and would like to visit REP, but my final destination is HYD. So,

ORD - BKK
BKK - REP

after few days,

REP - BKK
BKK - HYD

I am hoping if I can price this to 42.5k UA miles in saver economy. Is this even possible? When I tried, it shows 75k miles. ...
There are no Stopovers on one way (OW) awards. It would have to be a round trip (RT) with open jaw (or 2 OWs), a much more expensive in use of miles.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There are no Stopovers on one way (OW) awards. It would have to be a round trip (RT) with open jaw (or 2 OWs), a much more expensive in use of miles.
Thanks!

So I will look into ORD-REP and then from REP-HYD on separate award. What's the best routing for ORD-REP using UA miles? Looks like there is no other choice is it....
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by curiousGal
What's the best routing for ORD-REP using UA miles?
Search for your dates and see what comes up. The best routing is the one that has award inventory. You'll probably end up going through ICN.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yes, you just have to see what comes up as available for ORD->REP.

On your original plan, I don't think there is an option to fly direct BKK->REP using UA miles anyway.

I have not investigated thoroughly, but I think the only options are going to be through ICN or PEK. And of those 2 options, ICN is probably a better choice if available.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Your best bet might be a round-trip award to HYD with a stopover in BKK, if they will let you cross the Pacific on an award to India. Then buy a round-trip to REP nested from Bangkok. If you are flexible on which direction you can take the stopover, this would give you a fairly wide range of options to hopefully find an award.

There are cheap flights from Bangkok to REP -- Air Asia goes from DMK for example.

Or the same thing but using HKG as your stopover using AA miles.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mecabq
Your best bet might be a round-trip award to HYD with a stopover in BKK, if they will let you cross the Pacific on an award to India. Then buy a round-trip to REP nested from Bangkok. If you are flexible on which direction you can take the stopover, this would give you a fairly wide range of options to hopefully find an award.

There are cheap flights from Bangkok to REP -- Air Asia goes from DMK for example.

Or the same thing but using HKG as your stopover using AA miles.
Thanks!

I already booked HYD-ORD using AA miles because of devaluation in J and F. So I can't book round trip using UA miles.

While in REP, what's the best way to get to HYD? I see malaysian airlines using BA points, but very limited.

The thing is I am coming from ORD to REP via PEK (or ICN). Economy is 40k until REP and then 17.5k + tax from REP to HYD. Is it the best route I see or is there anything I am missing?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Question

Hello all,

I got a call from United saying my award travel flight canceled and there is no other option now. Can you please help me out?

I booked an award flight from ORD-REP via PEK. The flight from ORD-PEK is united and it's on schedule. From PEK-REP is on Air China. This flight is now canceled. There is no way to get to REP on this route.

I planned to meet my brother (who's coming from India) at REP on the same day of arrival. This change of plans would impact our planning.

- Should I just cancel this award ticket?
- If so, would there be any cancellation charges if the flight doesn't operate?
- This flight is scheduled in December. Should I go for AA award from ORD instead?

I have 50k MR points, 100k AA points. I can't do roundtrip this time.
Thoughts?

Thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
There is some advice on this thread, with a very similar situation. Good luck.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-booking.html
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kmxu
There is some advice on this thread, with a very similar situation. Good luck.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-booking.html
Great, thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
There are lots of low cost carriers in Asia, and IIRC some fly to REP. KUL and Air Asia are biggest.

I flew to Phnom Penh from ICN, and that was a fairly nice flight, and IIRC the one to REP leaves and arrives about the same time. You should be able to get there or BKK using MP miles and perhaps just an LCC from there.

Otherwise it may be more miles to India as you are going the long way around.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There are lots of low cost carriers in Asia, and IIRC some fly to REP. KUL and Air Asia are biggest.

I flew to Phnom Penh from ICN, and that was a fairly nice flight, and IIRC the one to REP leaves and arrives about the same time. You should be able to get there or BKK using MP miles and perhaps just an LCC from there.

Otherwise it may be more miles to India as you are going the long way around.
Just a quick reminder, some of the LCC flights out of Bangkok do not use BKK, but DMK airport. Be sure to factor in airport transit times and logistics.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Just a quick reminder, some of the LCC flights out of Bangkok do not use BKK, but DMK airport. Be sure to factor in airport transit times and logistics.
Excellent reminder ^

Actually, I thought ALL LCCs except those associated with Thai Airways use DMK.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Actually, I thought ALL LCCs except those associated with Thai Airways use DMK.
Not sure how you characterize Bangkok Air, but they fly out of BKK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.