FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated MP hotel & car rentals awards Q&A, Experiences, .... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1747191-consolidated-mp-hotel-car-rentals-awards-q-experiences.html)

mahasamatman Jun 4, 2020 6:09 pm

I haven't tried it myself, but I've never seen an award booking for a rental car that included insurance. Though if your credit card has insurance, that should cover it as long as you use it to pay the taxes.

rtom Jul 7, 2020 3:15 pm

Used MP miles for "nonrefundable" 1-night hotel stay and need to cancel

Back in January I used MP miles to book (from "United Hotels") a one-night stay in September at Hyatt Place London Heathrow Airport - West Drayton.

The cancellation terms are clear:

"Special non-refundable rate
This special discounted rate is non-refundable. If you choose to change or cancel this booking you will not be refunded any of the payment."

However, I am wondering whether they might give me a break due to COVID-19.

Anybody know whether it's worth phoning about this?

Thanks for any insight.

TonyBurr Jul 7, 2020 3:16 pm

What do you have to lose to just call and ask?

rtom Jul 7, 2020 3:22 pm

Nothing to lose, but it's a call from Colorado to the UK, so I would need to wait until tomorrow.

WineCountryUA Jul 7, 2020 3:41 pm

Note UA Hotels nor the hotel you booked are own / operated by United Airlines / UCH. And therefore it is not UA you will be dealing with and appealing to. The use of UA miles was the currency you used but that is the sole involvement of UA.

jsloan Jul 7, 2020 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32515116)
Note UA Hotels nor the hotel you booked are own / operated by United Airlines / UCH. And therefore it is not UA you will be dealing with and appealing to. The use of UA miles was the currency you used but that is the sole involvement of UA.

Well, right. I'd expect the first step would be to contact whoever operates United Hotels -- presumably a travel agency operating under United's name -- and ask them. If that doesn't work, you may be able to appeal directly to the hotel, but then you'd still have to follow up with the travel agency to try to get the miles put back into your account, because all the hotel can do is to refund the charge account that the travel agent used.

redleader74 May 24, 2021 2:01 pm

Question: UA Miles for booking hotels

Hello, I'm a novice at using UA miles for booking anything other than flights. I recently looked into using my miles to book a hotel and I wanted to compare the price for booking direct with the hotel, vs. with UA via miles, vs. UA via cash, here's what I found:

Direct w/ hotel: $200/night (approx)
With UA via cash: $200/night (approx)
With UA via miles: 38,000 miles (approx)

Specifically, this is a Best Western Plus in Anaheim for mid-week, mid-July. The numbers are approximate but it's the differences that I wanted to point out. If we use the 1:100 ratio for dollars to miles, it appears when bookign hotels the miles completely lose their values. Maybe this is just news to me, but is this common in the miles game? Looks like I should just save my miles for flights.

WineCountryUA May 24, 2021 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by redleader74 (Post 33275742)
... is this common in the miles game? Looks like I should just save my miles for flights.

Yes and Yes
Hotel with miles is typical 0.5 to 0.75 cpm (cents per mile) while flights are at least 1 cpm and 1.5-2 cpm for domestic is not uncommon. International business can be higher.

Four_Leaf_Clovers Jul 26, 2021 2:41 pm

United Hotels website won’t use my miles????

Hi, I am trying to use my miles to book a hotel over near Shriners Burn Hospital for Children in Galveston. My 4 year old was burned in a campfire accident last week. I have booked hotels many times for vacation using my miles but when I NEED a hotel, it’s giving me issues. I even had a friend log on and try using her acct and she had the same issue. I have the option to use my miles selected, it shows me how many miles the hotel is, but when I go to checkout, it is only giving me the option to pay with a credit card. In the past, when I got to this step, there would be options: pay it all with miles, pay partial with miles, pay all with a card. Now there is only the card option. I ended up just paying for the hotel the other night because I was desperate and couldn’t get it to work, but I have the miles and it would really help financially if I could use my miles. I called customer service and they told me that you can only book using a credit card over the phone . There is no way to use your miles over the phone and there is no technical support number etc. I called Mileage Plus and they stated they couldn’t help because it’s an issue with United Hotels. I called United Airlines Service which is what both told me to call. Was literally on hold for almost THREE HOURS and they just said sorry we can’t help!! Anybody have an idea what’s going on?? I thought maybe they had blackout dates or locations in place so I’ve tried different hotels, different cities, even cities in a different state just to test, different rates, different dates etc.

WineCountryUA Jul 26, 2021 3:17 pm

Sorry for the stressful time you are having -- hope your child recovers with minimal issues.

United Hotels is not a subsidiary of United Airlines. It is an independent third party (Hotels.com / Travelscape, LLC ). Hence UA will be unable to help.

I am seeing miles as an option to book. Not sure if the close-in booking is limiting the option. Assume you have enough miles.
Perhaps you could provide more specific hotel and dates and someone here can check

Just a comment about using miles for hotels, you generally get very poor redemption rates -- approach 0.5 cents per mile.Terms & conditions

REDEMPTION OF MILEAGEPLUS MILES
For certain Reservations, you may be presented with the option to pay using miles earned in connection with the United Airlines MileagePlus loyalty program (the “MileagePlus Program”). Eligibility to pay using miles is at the discretion of the Affiliate and may change at any time without notice. You must be on the US Point of sale website to redeem any form of miles as a form of payment. In the Affiliate’s discretion, reservations may be made using MileagePlus miles or a combination of miles and money. Any money portion must be paid using a credit card or debit card indicated on the website. Not all members will be eligible to pay with a combination of miles and money. The amount of miles or miles and money necessary for a transaction will be set by the Affiliate, are subject to change and may vary by member. Certain MileagePlus members may receive preferential pricing. Pricing is subject to change without notice. You must have sufficient miles in your MileagePlus account to complete the transaction. You may not combine miles from two or more accounts on a single transaction. You may not use more than 999,999 miles per transaction. Your miles will be deducted at the time of purchase. In the event that miles have not been properly debited from your account at the time of redemption, such miles may be debited by the Affiliate at any time. Refunds, when available, will be made in the original form of payment less any fees and charges, where applicable. No MileagePlus award miles will be awarded in connection with transactions made using MileagePlus miles as a form of payment.
If applicable, any fees or redemption-associated charges (including without limitation the money portion of any miles and money transaction) will appear on your credit card statements as "HOTEL*UNITED HOTEL". HOTELS".

Four_Leaf_Clovers Jul 26, 2021 3:31 pm

Thank you. It could have been a lot worse, but we are having to make weekly visits to the burn hospital until he’s healed. His next appt is Friday, so I’m looking at the La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Galveston. (The one located on 63rd street.) Date Thursday July 29th-30 for 1adult and 1 four year old.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by close in.

I have checked different hotels in Galveston, added more than one night etc and still giving me the same issue.

The hotel is showing like 27k miles and I have almost 90k

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33439801)
Sorry for the stressful time you are having -- hope your child recovers with minimal issues.

United Hotels is not a subsidiary of United Airlines. It is an independent third party (Hotels.com / Travelscape, LLC ). Hence UA will be unable to help.

I am seeing miles as an option to book. Not sure if the close-in booking is limiting the option. Assume you have enough miles.
Perhaps you could provide more specific hotel and dates and someone here can check

Just a comment about using miles for hotels, you generally get very poor redemption rates -- approach 0.5 cents per mile.Terms & conditions

WineCountryUA Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Four_Leaf_Clovers (Post 33439833)
..., so I’m looking at the La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Galveston. (The one located on 63rd street.) Date Thursday July 29th-30 for 1adult and 1 four year old. ....

this is what I see (do you seen the MileagePlus button?) (I do have status with UA and can not try a non-status search as it requires a MP id first.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...00e69c38f1.jpg

jsloan Jul 26, 2021 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Four_Leaf_Clovers (Post 33439833)
Thank you. It could have been a lot worse, but we are having to make weekly visits to the burn hospital until he’s healed. His next appt is Friday, so I’m looking at the La Quinta Inn by Wyndham Galveston. (The one located on 63rd street.) Date Thursday July 29th-30 for 1adult and 1 four year old.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by close in.

I have checked different hotels in Galveston, added more than one night etc and still giving me the same issue.

The hotel is showing like 27k miles and I have almost 90k

I'm seeing the same behavior that you are, even when I try a different destination. It lists the rate in miles until the confirmation screen, at which point it changes to dollars.

Unfortunately, as WineCountryUA stated, there's nothing that United Airlines will be able to do about this. You'll need to work with hotels.com, who are the ones who actually run this site, and it sounds like you were already trying that and didn't make any progress. :( I hope it's only a temporary website glitch.

You might ask if the hospital has arrangements in place with any of the local hotels. You wouldn't be able to use your miles, but you might get a significant discount. You should also ask your insurer, as you may have coverage for lodging as part of a covered treatment.

Good luck, and best wishes to your son for a speedy recovery. :)

WineCountryUA Jul 26, 2021 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 33439879)
I'm seeing the same behavior that you are, even when I try a different destination. It lists the rate in miles until the confirmation screen, at which point it changes to dollars....

Odd when I click on BOOK, I still see the mileage rate (I don't want to do RESERVE because that may impact the OP's chances)

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...616b94d55e.jpg

Four_Leaf_Clovers Jul 26, 2021 4:12 pm

correct, this is what I see - but when I click on “book now” it takes me to the payment screen and it only gives option for credit card on that screen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33439860)
this is what I see (do you seen the MileagePlus button?) (I do have status with UA and can not try a non-status search as it requires a MP id first.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...00e69c38f1.jpg