Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SJU / San Juan, PR -- check-in, logistics, Avianca (AV) Lounge access, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:39 am
Zip
Original Poster

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold

The SJU lounge access is not on the UA web site yet.
I was surprised when checking in to my SJU-CLE flight, when the desk agent said I had access to the *Alliance lounge. Is this new for SJU??

The lounge is actually an Avianca lounge; believe they recently joined *Alliance. Lounge is on the small size, and a bit of a distance from the B-wing that UA uses; other side of the large shopping area' before entering the C & D wings. Food at 1:30 was a salad, and some non-descript pastries. Open bar - companion said wines were a bit better than the UA wines.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I don't know if the Avianca lounge would let in US *G flyers on domestic flights from SJU back to the mainland.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Zip
The SJU lounge access is not on the UA web site yet.
I was surprised when checking in to my SJU-CLE flight, when the desk agent said I had access to the *Alliance lounge. Is this new for SJU?.
Not real new at least. I went there back in November. It's nothing to write home about. Seating is horrendous.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Last summer when my wife and I were returning from STT through SJ, we were warmly welcomed into the Avianca lounge (UA 1Ks). Great PR rum, decent enough food. But far better than sitting in the airport.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:35 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catocony
I don't know if the Avianca lounge would let in US *G flyers on domestic flights from SJU back to the mainland.
If they're branded as a *G lounge, they're supposed to regardless of destination, FWIW. It's only the United Club which has that carve out for MP *G members, and, of course, a few rogue lounges in the system (like the SFO SQ lounge). And though I haven't been there, the lounge operators do indicate it's a *G lounge on their Web site:

As a result of a strategic alliance between Avianca Airlines and Global Lounge OP SJU, LLC, we have changed the name of our lounge at San Juan´s International Airport to “Avianca by Global Lounge.” “Avianca by Global Lounge” welcomes all Star Alliance Gold Members, first class and business class passengers. Priority Pass, Diners Club, Lounge Club, Lounge Key and all major credit cards are accepted. The VIP Lounge is located at the entrance of Terminal C.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
There's a priority pass lounge where the President's Club used to be there. Its nothing special at all.

The AAdmiral's club isn't too bad.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by catocony
Why not? It's a *A lounge, so *G's have access.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Yes, *G do have access to this lounge. I was there a week ago. The space and the food are nothing special. I liked the lounge because of the wifi. (SJU terminals used to have free and spotty wifi; however, SJU now seems to only offer paid wifi).
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
Yes, *G do have access to this lounge. I was there a week ago. The space and the food are nothing special. I liked the lounge because of the wifi. (SJU terminals used to have free and spotty wifi; however, SJU now seems to only offer paid wifi).
^

Was there twice late last year and agree 100%.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by entropy
Sadly that lounge closed about a month ago... probably the last vestige of the AA SJU hub.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by entropy
Make that was. AA closed that Admiral's Club at the end of December. (And before that, they closed the old US Club in BUF at the end of October.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Wow, AA has pulled their mini-hub operations out of SJU? I haven't flown them in years, but that used to be a pretty big operation.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Any Club Options at SJU

I am flying with my grown daughter SJU to EWR tomorrow.

Are there any options for a club there?

I do have a Priority Pass Membership for myself only.

I am UA platinum. I am flying first class.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I flew out of there recently. I'm pretty sure there was no UC or other club accessible to United first class pax.

Also, fwiw, the food in the airport is awful.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Per the Star Alliance website's lounge finder, you should have access to the Avianca VIP lounge depending on your status and your ticket class. From the website:

"The Lounge is located at the entrance of Terminal C. Please take the elevator to the third floor. Passengers crossing the BC checkpoint should turn left and walk a short distance towards Terminal C."

Just flew through SJU and didn't bother with the lounge as was running late, so I can't speak to the amenities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.