Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:59 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
Well, that might be a tough one. Not sure that is sufficient evidence for compensation.
imactually on the phone with United right now and they show that we were upgraded and then downgraded in their system fortunately. She confirmed That the GA should have issued compensation but when I told she pushed back on the upgrade being a “mistake” she didn’t seem willing to provide it. May call into the 1K line shortly and see if they can do anything faster than the feedback page.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bigshooter
She confirmed That the GA should have issued compensation but when I told she pushed back on the upgrade being a “mistake” she didn’t seem willing to provide it.
Why on earth would you say anything other than "thank you"???
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
we asked about downgrade compensation and she said we were upgraded by mistake... she didn’t want to assist and became quite rude with my friend....

Did not want a record of the screwup
we don’t have the boarding passes since they refreshed, but I do have a screenshot of the upgrade list showing we cleared and our seat numbers. I submitted a case with the United feedback form but may call back in.

Should be enough to trigger a deeper look into the PNR which should show the needed evidence
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
As they say in sales, "once you have sold it, stop selling"
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As they say in sales, "once you have sold it, stop selling"
Oh, I missed that part. Yikes. Hope this gets resolved favorably.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:32 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Sounds to me like somebody made a mistake. How long prior to departure were you upgraded?
45-60 minutes prior to departure. We stopped by the gate on way to United club and asked how the upgrade chance was looking and she even told us good. Noticed we were upgraded a little while later.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓

imactually on the phone with United right now and they show that we were upgraded and then downgraded in their system fortunately. She confirmed That the GA should have issued compensation but when I told she pushed back on the upgrade being a “mistake” she didn’t seem willing to provide it. May call into the 1K line shortly and see if they can do anything faster than the feedback page.
The screen shot of the upgrade list with your names cleared should be enough for UA to issue compensation for this (as well as return your GPU's). I would work thru customer care / 1K voice ... and if they hold out, hit them on Twitter too (give them a little public shaming without being emotional about the situation.

This is classic oversale / downgrade... compensation is due.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
In-laws were booked on an award ticket in J (Polaris) on UA 404 today (IAH-SFO). 7:30 am scheduled departure went MX to 9:30 am and then to 2 pm. Who knows if/when it will go out. It looks like pretty much the entire J cabin has abandoned the flight, and my in-laws managed to get Y seats on UA 2187 (12:45 pm).

As expected, UA declined to provide compensation at the gate because they are voluntarily taking an alternative flight (of course, UA also cannot promise that the delayed flight will go out today, or ever). They have no status so they had to fight just to get E+ seats. Based on the experiences here, it looks like our best bet is to write in afterwards and see if they'll issue a certificate as a customer service gesture, and also ask for a partial mileage refund from the original program through which I booked (*A partner TK)?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct, although I would expect the refund to be zero assuming this was the domestic connection of an international award.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
The screen shot of the upgrade list with your names cleared should be enough for UA to issue compensation for this (as well as return your GPU's).
I doubt that.
Screen shots can be easily manipulated, and offer pretty much no proof whatsoever.
I'd be inclined to believe this would only be compensated if United can trace back the upgrade in their system (which apparently they can).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
I doubt that.
Screen shots can be easily manipulated, and offer pretty much no proof whatsoever.
I'd be inclined to believe this would only be compensated if United can trace back the upgrade in their system (which apparently they can).
The screenshot will be sufficient to cause an investigation into the PNR history which will show the seat changes.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Correct, although I would expect the refund to be zero assuming this was the domestic connection of an international award.
No, it was booked as a one-way ticket from IAH to SFO. Given the generous TK award chart, the difference in miles (vs Y) was only 5k per ticket, so it's still pretty close to zero.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
As expected, UA declined to provide compensation at the gate because they are voluntarily taking an alternative flight (of course, UA also cannot promise that the delayed flight will go out today, or ever). They have no status so they had to fight just to get E+ seats. Based on the experiences here, it looks like our best bet is to write in afterwards and see if they'll issue a certificate as a customer service gesture, and also ask for a partial mileage refund from the original program through which I booked (*A partner TK)?
As TK did not make the change and UA did this in response to IRROPs, refund of TK miles is most unlikely as UA probably did not refund to TK.
You might get a customer service gesture from UA for the irrops but that would be UA miles (if they have an MP account) or a small voucher.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As TK did not make the change and UA did this in response to IRROPs, refund of TK miles is most unlikely as UA probably did not refund to TK.
You might get a customer service gesture from UA for the irrops but that would be UA miles (if they have an MP account) or a small voucher.
Thanks. I guess it can't hurt to try, but I'll keep my low expectations even lower. It's crazy that I jumped ship from UA over 150,000 miles ago, and yet my worst experience with an airline since then still somehow involves UA.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:03 pm

.... As expected, UA declined to provide compensation at the gate because they are voluntarily taking an alternative flight ...
What compensation at the gate where you expecting? Meal voucher?

... It's crazy that I jumped ship from UA over 150,000 miles ago, and yet my worst experience with an airline since then still somehow involves UA.
If a delayed flight is the worst you have had in recent times (although it was 6 hours), then you had a charmed life. UA 404 did depart at 2 PM (with many empty seats), not sure if it was the original frame. About an hour after alternative economy flight chosen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.