Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is UA checked bag claim so slow? (EWR,ORD, SFO, IAH, ...) [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is UA checked bag claim so slow? (EWR,ORD, SFO, IAH, ...) [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Does Delta still give you 2500 sky pesos if they take more than 20min to get you your bag?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eng3
Does Delta still give you 2500 sky pesos if they take more than 20min to get you your bag?
Yes, and AS gives 2,500 miles or a $25 cert. I seldom collect on AS, too...they usually pull it off, even at some surprising stations (like IAD).
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:43 pm

I've had an hour plus waits for bags at EWR before on a UA flight from ZRH. Thankfully I had enough time to catch my connecting domestic flight to YYZ. OTOH I've also had domestic flights on UA where I'd land and my bag would be at the carousel before I get there! That being said, I suspect the situation at their outstations like EWR, IAD, ORD, SFO, IAH, etc. might be slower than their hub like NRT and their signature hub at LHR

I think the moral of the story here is not to bother checking bags. I'll avoid it whenever since:
  1. Set aside time to check in the bag and pick up the bag from carousels (can easily add 30 minutes to your travel time which if you travel as much as I do can add up)
  2. Bag could get lost or stolen which is also another potential hassle (only work around there is packing heat in your checked luggage, which then adds time to step 1 and is a logistical pain)
  3. If my flights go IRROP I'll have more options if I don't have a bag I need to reclaim, particularly if the recovery flight is OAL.
-James
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
It was about 20 minutes when I was at TPA a couple weeks ago. There wasn't a palpable sense of urgency, but it was quick enough.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Florida time?

David
apodo77 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by channa
Yes, and AS gives 2,500 miles or a $25 cert. I seldom collect on AS, too...they usually pull it off, even at some surprising stations (like IAD).
If I had a $25 ECT for everytime I waited more than 20min for a bag, I'd be a rich man.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
...I think the moral of the story here is not to bother checking bags. ....
Unfortunately, sometimes you have no choice but to check a bag.
However, I don't feel I should have to give up a benefit because UA has trouble executing.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Nor at major UA hubs like IAH. 40+ min is the norm.
45 mins recently at SFO coming off p.s. in business class. Flight was already delayed then 45 mins to the first bag on the belt.
Clearly not a priority for UA to get this right.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:37 am

At ORF, 30+ mins is common, sadly. I've flown home from IAD (after a long haul flight) and waiting for bags has taken almost as long as the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Not to hijack the thread , but the oversize bag situation at EWR is especially awful. The bags are dumped onto a ramp in a somewhat inaccessible area considered “secure”, so UA has contractors (Omni-Serv) drag luggage through this area down to passengers waiting 20 or so feet away, and positive-match claim stubs.

In the evening during winter, when ski flights arrive (DEN, EGE, MTJ, HDN, JAC, etc.) there are dozens of ski bags and usually one or two Omni-Serv agents that struggle mightily in getting bags to pax. The process usually takes 20 minutes or more on top of the 30+ minutes it takes to get oversize items to baggage claim.

It’s a case study in inefficiency and has been a problem for a long time.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by EWR764
I believe TPA is still mainline UA below the wing. Bag service there is usually fine; perhaps there was some sort of mechanical issue with the bag transfer?
I went to the office after about the 40 minutes and no bags. They radioed someone and apparently someone was on break and they were waiting for them to get back is what they told me.
Bags came out about 5 minutes after.
I rarely check bags but this was one case I had to.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
1 hr recently to get bags off of PSP-SFO. The baggage desk started giving out bottles of water to those waiting. Reason given: no staff available to offload the plane (an A319).
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djmp
1 hr recently to get bags off of PSP-SFO. The baggage desk started giving out bottles of water to those waiting. Reason given: no staff available to offload the plane (an A319).
No staff available to unload an aircraft at a major UA hub?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by djmp
-----
What in heaven's name is a bottle of water supposed to do for someone ??
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----
What in heaven's name is a bottle of water supposed to do for someone ??
When your appology cart gives you little bottles of water....?

That said, after 40 minutes with no bags in sight I've had UA take a missing bag report and deliver it to my hotel. I'm more patient than some but if you can't even start dropping bags at baggage claim within 20 minutes of a passenger making it to baggage claim...it's not the passenger's problem. And I do actually have better places to be/ways to spend my time.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
And DL is unbelievably, lightning fast. They usually get the bags on the belt within 10 minutes of pulling up at the gate. It's one of the things I like best about flying DL.

Obviously UA has not made this an operational focus. Perhaps as they get flight ops under control they can work on catching up with DL on baggage delivery as well.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.