Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
IAH<->LHR but a bit later in the month. Hope someone else picks it up!
What dates?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by swiftaw
What dates?
After xmas.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Do the menus indicate if express dining is still available?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by st530
I find the menus a huge disappointment. Not so long ago CO BF had three hot appetizers before the salad, plus the separate cheese and sundae courses post-main. Post-merger the three hot appetizers were whittled down to two cold appetizers (so the soup that used to be one of the three hot appetizers could distinguish GF from BF), then one cold appetizer during the height of Jeff's cost-cutting reign. I'm sad to see that the lone cold appetizer remains, salad is rumored to be smaller (and served at same time as cold appetizer), and the cheese and sundae service have been combined into one (which may or may not allow more than one choice, but if so, it's a lot to throw on your plate at once). So basically what was a 5- and even a 4-course meal under Jeff has been whittled to three with Polaris. In addition, no hot snacks mid-flight except on longer routes, and the cold snacks appear more or less the same as BF. And no self-serve wine showing on the a la carte area, as was shown in the promotional videos. Obviously the wine flights look like an improvement, as well as the new entree choices, and if you have time to eat in the Polaris lounge, that's another huge improvement. But if you're rushing to the airport to catch an overseas flight and your on-board meal is your dinner, this looks like a real downgrade. I'm talking strictly food, not china and the other soft improvements. Color me quite disappointed. My expectations were a lot higher.

This was the entire point of Polaris. Pax would rather have access to more of their meal at once and get to sleep or whatever else they want to do rather than a two hour ordeal of waiting for appetizer, then salad, then bread, then entree, etc.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by brooks_87
This was the entire point of Polaris. Pax would rather have access to more of their meal at once and get to sleep or whatever else they want to do rather than a two hour ordeal of waiting for appetizer, then salad, then bread, then entree, etc.
Just because they serve the appetizer and salad together doesn't mean express dining is obsolete. Express dining served everything including the entree at once and you got served before everyone else. It would be strange to see it completely gone.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Maybe $40 abroad somewhere, but I'd be surprised to see the Ayala for that little in the US.
You're absolutely right... For some reason I guess had the NV pricing in mind when I first saw it but the 2007 Blanc de Blancs (if that's indeed the pick) appears to retail in the $70-80 range. ^
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:38 pm

Oscar said at the launch event after he saw the results early in the year that 'sleep' was the overwhelming preference he had them re-run with more focus groups to make sure they really didn't want a lot more food / wine. He had thought that would be the winner.

Unfortunately for those of us who enjoy a leisurely meal in the sky, or don't have time to get one on the ground, more people wanted compromises that favored more sleep. More brief meal service, save on food cost to plow into more bedding.

If the wine selections hold up I may give them a pass on the change, but of course we all want the best of all worlds.

I wouldn't be surprised (sadly) though if they pare back the transatlantic overnight meals even further once the Polaris lounges are up and running in EWR/IAD, the way Swiss/LH/AA do where it's basically one tray.

Originally Posted by st530
I find the menus a huge disappointment. Not so long ago CO BF had three hot appetizers before the salad, plus the separate cheese and sundae courses post-main. Post-merger the three hot appetizers were whittled down to two cold appetizers (so the soup that used to be one of the three hot appetizers could distinguish GF from BF), then one cold appetizer during the height of Jeff's cost-cutting reign. I'm sad to see that the lone cold appetizer remains, salad is rumored to be smaller (and served at same time as cold appetizer), and the cheese and sundae service have been combined into one (which may or may not allow more than one choice, but if so, it's a lot to throw on your plate at once). So basically what was a 5- and even a 4-course meal under Jeff has been whittled to three with Polaris. In addition, no hot snacks mid-flight except on longer routes, and the cold snacks appear more or less the same as BF. And no self-serve wine showing on the a la carte area, as was shown in the promotional videos. Obviously the wine flights look like an improvement, as well as the new entree choices, and if you have time to eat in the Polaris lounge, that's another huge improvement. But if you're rushing to the airport to catch an overseas flight and your on-board meal is your dinner, this looks like a real downgrade. I'm talking strictly food, not china and the other soft improvements. Color me quite disappointed. My expectations were a lot higher.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Flying to Dublin before the end of the year. Not too excited about the menu I think will be on my flight (it's on the EWR - LHR flight).

Does anyone have any experience with

BRAISED SHORT RIB

SEARED TURBOT

ASIAN FUSION CHICKEN SOUP

PORTOBELLO AND CARMELIZED ONION RAVIOLI

GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD

3 of the 4 have mushrooms which I am not fond of. Two have fava beans, also not a fan. Might eat in the airport and skip the meal, but it's part of the 'fun' in flying business? I am NOT a frequent flyer so it's a big deal for me. Maybe I should pre-order a vegetarian meal? I know, I shouldn't complain . . but if anyone has had any of these meals and can comment, that would be great, thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Flying to Dublin before the end of the year. Not too excited about the menu I think will be on my flight (it's on the EWR - LHR flight).

Does anyone have any experience with

BRAISED SHORT RIB

SEARED TURBOT

ASIAN FUSION CHICKEN SOUP

PORTOBELLO AND CARMELIZED ONION RAVIOLI

GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD

3 of the 4 have mushrooms which I am not fond of. Two have fava beans, also not a fan. Might eat in the airport and skip the meal, but it's part of the 'fun' in flying business? I am NOT a frequent flyer so it's a big deal for me. Maybe I should pre-order a vegetarian meal? I know, I shouldn't complain . . but if anyone has had any of these meals and can comment, that would be great, thanks!
I've almost always enjoyed the short rib. Most often tender and usually a good sauce. Safe choice 😉
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:53 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I flew HKG-ORD in Polaris first last week and the service was excruciatingly slow. The first drink service in Polaris first was not offered until 58 minutes after departure. Meal service began at about 1:20 after departure.

Last edited by In The 216; Dec 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by In The 216
I fly HKG-ORD in Polaris first last week and the service was excruciatingly slow. The first drink service in Polaris first was not offered until 58 minutes after departure. Meal service began at about 1:20 after departure.
Unfortunately this is often the case. However I'm amused that you timed it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Unfortunately this is often the case. However I'm amused that you timed it.
Well, maybe he needed something to do to fill the time...
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Unfortunately for those of us who enjoy a leisurely meal in the sky, or don't have time to get one on the ground, more people wanted compromises that favored more sleep. More brief meal service, save on food cost to plow into more bedding.

If the wine selections hold up I may give them a pass on the change, but of course we all want the best of all worlds.
Personally, I prefer the leisurely meal option on daytime westbound flights, while a swifter meal service on night-time runs (especially Eastbound TATL from the East Coast) is fine with me.

+ 1000 on the wine selection!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Anyone know what the current dinner offerings sfo-lhr are in Polaris business?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS
Dessert not on the menu - but served?

Flew today on the 8:05am FRA-ORD in Polaris business. Menu, pictured, below, did not feature any dessert. I thought maybe it was because dessert doesn't come with Polaris breakfast service. And the flight attendants came through after the main course and cleared all the trays and napkins.

But then they came out passing cheese plates, which were not on the menu. Then they came through with a sundae and dessert tower (featuring macaroons, which I love. Only issue is that they'd collected everything so no napkins...I ended up using the tissues from my amenity kit).

Strange occurrence. Was the sundae cart not supposed to be there, or was it missed from the menu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.