Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United discontinuing EWR-YYT (St. John's) after 02 Feb 16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United discontinuing EWR-YYT (St. John's) after 02 Feb 16

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by riphamilton
disappointing. st pierre and miquelon has been on my bucket list of places to visit for a few years now; that just got a little more complicated/expensive.

i'm not in a rush to venture up there in january.
My bucket list too. We can hope it comes back as seasonal service, as others have mentioned. Would have been a great flight on the E175s they've been sending lately.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
My bucket list too. We can hope it comes back as seasonal service, as others have mentioned. Would have been a great flight on the E175s they've been sending lately.
IIRC whenever I looked at this route, they were flying it using mainline 737s.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver
UA has been slowly but surely scaling back its service to Canadian destinations; this is just another brick from that wall.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The CDN to USD is about back to where it was when CO started EWR-YYT in 2004. I'm left wondering if UA's departure from the market is related to a very specific loss of corporate contract(s).

Continental didn't have a Canadian alliance partner in 2004, so the economics may have worked better for a weaker Canadian dollar back then.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for sharing. I will shortly be booking an ORD-YYT business trip for June, and I was leaning towards going ORD-EWR-YYT on UA metal instead of a more natural itinerary involving AC metal (e.g., ORD-YYZ-YYT, ORD-YOW-YYT) because the domestic AC leg would generate only 25% PQM. But now I won't have that option...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by respectable_man
UA has been slowly but surely scaling back its service to Canadian destinations; this is just another brick from that wall.
Really? My perspective here in Chicago has been that AC has materially scaled back its service here, with UA picking up the slack. AC only flies to YYZ and YUL from ORD now; not that long ago it used to fly to YOW, YYC, YVR, YWG, and perhaps others as well, but these days those are all served by UA (or really UX).
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
very disappointing, because AC is a horrible airline. UA also pulled out of YYZ-SFO a few years back, to let AC take the passengers. It allows AC to price gouge.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Transborder demand from the Canada point of sale has fallen off a cliff due to currency devaluation and the collapse of oil has also impacted markets like YYC, YEG, YWG, etc.

The North American JV with AC is dictating capacity allocation between the airlines based on revenue contribution. This is similar to how the economics of marginal routes TATL routes may have worked under as a CO standalone entity (see EWR-CGN/BRS/CPH/STR,etc.) but taken in context with the broader JV, it is a better proposition to flow traffic over the partner hub.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
however with the new worthless Canadian $, more Americans might be coming up for holidays? So demand should be increasing soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.