Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I just realized that I haven't flown UA in Y all year!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I just realized that I haven't flown UA in Y all year!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exerda
Originally Posted by goalie
I haven't flown in Y all year either but then again, I haven't flown since this past January
The FAs and GAs are going to miss Toostie Pops this year.
<blushing>
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by belynch
On the other side of the curtain my upgrade percentage is about 20%. I've sat in the back several times with instruments failing to clear as well as being a 1k on an M/B ticket. :
Likewise, except I probably didn't even manage 20%. Only cleared one instrument all year, too.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I was 100% F/J cabin this year for my UA flights. All three of them.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Apart from 6 segments in booked J or domestic F, I've had about 50% of my flights upgraded using GPUs or RPUs but never once had a CPU clear.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
So with next year's bonus PQMs for booking into A or P class, I might actually hit the silver threshold for miles but be disqualified on PQDs, I think that will be quite the achievement! Fly 100% paid F/J and still be disqualified from Premier status because of insufficient PQDs. I guess at that point, I won't care as paid F/J trumps status and sitting in Y
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: United 1K
I'm a 1K and have had 0% success trying to upgrade on a transcon this year.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I'm a 1K have have spent about 30% of my flights on UA in Y this year!

For TATL, I'm 100% on GPU success (5 flights as 1 flight was in paid Biz with P fare)

For TPAC, I'm also 100% on GPU success (2 flights)

For North America, I'm 100% on RPU success for transcon flights (to SFO, SAN, SNA, and LAX with stops in either IAH, ORD, or DEN), so the 30% in Y was due to CPU not clearing or I was on flights without F such as IAD-PHL.

Not bad at all! United took decent care of me in 2015 so that I will pass the 2MM threshold next week ^

Last edited by sapguy; Dec 24, 2015 at 2:07 pm Reason: clarifications
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Wow, my experience is so much different. I usually blow through my gpus by March, but will actually have to get one extended next week. And I used two on LH. Am once again very familiar with the tatl y product on UA. In 2016 I am going to try to stick with *A partners and avoid UA as much as possible. Why pay extra for the distant possibility of an ug?

As for CPUs, forget about it... Almost 0%.

Most of my time up front was paid. Upgrades are just no longer available.

Finishing the year just above 111k, and made mm status this year (in a middle seat in coach somewhere between MAD and IAD, with a fuelling stopover in Maine).
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Derek
Wow, my experience is so much different. I usually blow through my gpus by March, but will actually have to get one extended next week. And I used two on LH. Am once again very familiar with the tatl y product on UA. In 2016 I am going to try to stick with *A partners and avoid UA as much as possible. Why pay extra for the distant possibility of an ug?

As for CPUs, forget about it... Almost 0%.

Most of my time up front was paid. Upgrades are just no longer available.

Finishing the year just above 111k, and made mm status this year (in a middle seat in coach somewhere between MAD and IAD, with a fuelling stopover in Maine).
Really sorry to hear, & let's hope that you will do better in 2016?

Where are you based out of, and are your city pairs served mostly by A320/319 or CRJ? If so, that could explain your lack of upgrade success.

Also, UA does not serve MAD-IAD on its metal except through EWR, so unless you are going through EWR on their 767, you're not really experiencing UA's Y product.

BTW, the LH Biz product is only marginally better than the UA BF product, as there is no a huge gap like with the SQ, NH, or TG Biz products.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
AS a 1K, I was in Y for 26 flights in 2015, 12/26 were Express flights with no F. It's a pain when DFW-IAD is an Express with a handful of F and CPU doesn't clear. 1 RPU cleared (IAD-HNL), and 11 CPU cleared, so <50% CPU upgrade.

The most important upgrades were clearing 4 GPUs for TATL. I have never been able to book TATL flights with R space, but at least the GPUs have cleared before day of departure.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I just realized that I don't think I've seen an upgrade (instrument supported or CPU) since mid-summer... See my stats below -- this year's been substantially worse than others in recent memory.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by sapguy

Where are you based out of, and are your city pairs served mostly by A320/319 or CRJ? If so, that could explain your lack of upgrade success.
Chicago. A lot of those planes, but I do get around. I fly a lot to Europe and have just really been unlucky. One flight to FRA looked good until the flight the day before got cancelled for a snow storm in ORD and even paid C were put in Y.

Also, UA does not serve MAD-IAD on its metal except through EWR, so unless you are going through EWR on their 767, you're not really experiencing UA's Y product.
I was on UA 164 MAD-IAD in May.

BTW, the LH Biz product is only marginally better than the UA BF product, as there is no a huge gap like with the SQ, NH, or TG Biz products.
The point was I could use a GPU immediately after booking LH and get confirmed in C, which I was unable to do all year on UA.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I think I flew Y 3 times. The rest of the time I was either upgraded or paid F.
something like that for me as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.