FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Wky is Premier 1K "loud and proud" on boarding passes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1731271-wky-premier-1k-loud-proud-boarding-passes.html)

lincolnjkc Dec 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Wky is Premier 1K "loud and proud" on boarding passes?

(This almost certainly belongs in an existing thread -- a quick search turned up a handful of possibilities, but I trust the mods will sheppard it to the best place)

I recently qualified for 1K for the first time and noticed that my boarding passes now have a giant bold "Premier 1K" notation bottom center.

Being a logical person it seems there's a reason for this but unless theres some secret handshake I haven't been made privy to of I cant figure out why this only shows up on 1K BPs and not Silver/Gold/Plat...

Anyone care to enlighten me while I'm passing am afternoon in IAD? :-)

rustykettel Dec 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc (Post 25854403)
(This almost certainly belongs in an existing thread -- a quick search turned up a handful of possibilities, but I trust the mods will sheppard it to the best place)

I recently qualified for 1K for the first time and noticed that my boarding passes now have a giant bold "Premier 1K" notation bottom center.

Being a logical person it seems there's a reason for this but unless theres some secret handshake I haven't been made privy to of I cant figure out why this only shows up on 1K BPs and not Silver/Gold/Plat...

Anyone care to enlighten me while I'm passing am afternoon in IAD? :-)

Prevent confusion with seat assignments?

dmodemd Dec 12, 2015 3:18 pm

GLOBAL SERVICES seems to show up much bigger....

Often1 Dec 12, 2015 3:37 pm

There really are people who believe that they are "elite" because a carrier's marketing people tell them that they are. Those people like to see it on their BP's and as many other places as possible.

zebranz Dec 12, 2015 3:37 pm

Thank you for pointing it out- I never noticed before. Now I can think of all the extra ink it costs me to print.

travel.flier Dec 12, 2015 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz (Post 25854587)
Thank you for pointing it out- I never noticed before. Now I can think of all the extra ink it costs me to print.

Mobile bp

fireflash Dec 12, 2015 5:12 pm

I've had preferential treatment (or at least thought it was) from UA agents after seeing it printed at the bottom where they have no immediate access to a computer to see my record.

trust77 Dec 12, 2015 5:38 pm

When this was launched back in 2012 I think it was to help agents recognize their 1K and GS Customer's faster and provide airport services as needed. This verbiage does not print at the bottom for Plat or lower

exerda Dec 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by trust77 (Post 25854980)
When this was launched back in 2012 I think it was to help agents recognize their 1K and GS Customer's faster and provide airport services as needed. This verbiage does not print at the bottom for Plat or lower

+1

It's not about stroking egos, but about helping CSRs and GAs see without having to type and type away.

EricH Dec 12, 2015 6:12 pm

DYKWIA!!!!

Emirates202 Dec 12, 2015 6:20 pm

I never noticed this before hitting 1K, but after realizing how big it is printed, I seemed to notice more of my seat mates putting it in their seat pocket in a position that shows the PREMIER 1K or GLOBAL SERVICES.
To be honest, I'd probably do that if I was GS too :D

mahasamatman Dec 12, 2015 8:13 pm

It makes it easier to see who actually belongs in Boarding Group 1.

lincolnjkc Dec 12, 2015 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 25855369)
It makes it easier to see who actually belongs in Boarding Group 1.

... except for the fact that Plats and paid First also belong in BG1 but neither of those groups have a similar prominent "flag" displayed.

At first I was thinking it was DYKWIA-ish since everyone's status is displayed at the top of the BP in "small" font, but I can see in irops handling how having something that can be seen from a mile away would be helpful to expedite recovery.

Thanks for the answers to my musings...

Slurve30 Dec 12, 2015 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 25854993)
+1

It's not about stroking egos, but about helping CSRs and GAs see without having to type and type away.

+1.

This. So CSRs and GAs don't immediately brush you off as soon as you approach the counter.

TennisNoob Dec 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Same concept as why BMW has the "M" word all over the car. (Front grill, side intakes, rear badge, door entry foot pad, steering wheel, gear stick, etc.)

They want the elite to feel recognized everywhere