Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiences on UA with aborted takeoffs, landings, go-arounds, .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
You can hear it the SFO Tower audio here:

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2019-1500Z.mp3

Sounds like UA 577 took a bit too much time after getting takeoff clearance, causing the controller to tell UA 862 to go around.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Ambassador
That makes sense. It seemed like we were shooting a gap between two flights on the 28s, it was obvious as we started to roll we were too late.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sfo888
Anyone have audio from this morning (June 2nd ~08:00 local) at SFO? I am on UA577 and watched through my window as we had a near miss. We started our takeoff roll on 19R at the same time someone (another united fight) was on final for 28L/R. We lined up just right to hit at the intersection of the runways. As we lifted off he did a last moment go around and steep climb overflying us. Would be interested to hear who was supposed to be there.
Your near miss was with UA 862 from HKG.

Flightaware map: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL862

ATC: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ksfo/KSFO-Twr-Jun-02-2019-1500Z.mp3

Nobody sounds particularly alarmed in the ATC recordings.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Listening to the ATC, it's impressive how calm everyone is in the situation. Even the tower at the end after UA 577 apologized just calmly says "No problem."

Scary situation, but good to know how calm/professional everyone is in these types of situations.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Interesting morning at SFO

UA 870 from SYD also performed a go around this morning right around 7am. I wouldn't mind hearing that tower audio. The Capt. advised that the plane in front of us unexpectedly slowed down thus the need for the go around.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Everyone is calm because it isn't a stressful event. Plenty of buffer is built in to ensure that a hazard is not created even when one of the airplanes doesn't do exactly as the controller is expecting.

In the SFO case using intersecting runways, the departing aircraft must clear the intersection before the arriving aircraft reaches the threshold (the beginning of their runway). At this point, the aircraft are still quite a distance apart. When it isn't going to work out, the arriving aircraft is sent around. This puts them several hundred feet, and climbing, above the departing aircraft which likely hasn't quite lifted off yet as he crosses the intersection.

SFO gets a lot more efficiency running these intersecting operations than they lose from the occasional go-around.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
It wasn't a near miss in the sense that anyone was caught unaware - so you weren't in any danger. The pilots on 862 were likely fully expecting to go around. As a small aircraft pilot, there are numerous times that I'm watching traffic on my runway or on a crossing runway, hoping they'll get out of the way fast enough. If they do, great, and if they don't, I'm ready to go around. I do every landing with one hand on the throttle, and so do the big iron drivers, and this is one of the reasons why.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Certainly not a "near miss" in the same sense as this, but no doubt a little unnerving for someone watching who knows enough to recognize what's going on...
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAL250
Listening to the ATC, it's impressive how calm everyone is in the situation. Even the tower at the end after UA 577 apologized just calmly says "No problem."

Scary situation, but good to know how calm/professional everyone is in these types of situations.
Listen to the ATC tape involving AC781 or AC759 at SFO if you want more excitement.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
On UA 2136 SFO to EWR and as were in line for take off around 2:35pm local time I see SQ coming in to land and they initiated a go-around as well.

Lots of it today! Was misty this am but cleared up after 10ish!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:04 pm

I was on UA862 this morning and as the plane was about to land the pilot applied power to lift up! The pilot came on the pa and calmly told us we were going around for another try.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any idea on why UA 2339 on 2 June went around when landing at PHX? Pilot said we weren't ready. Then after landing, one of the ground supervisors seemed to have taken a pilot into an office downstairs. 737-800W # 3245.

This is only my 2nd go-around ever (and I travel a decent amount). I have had more diversions.

Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by username
Any idea on why UA 2339 on 2 June went around when landing at PHX? Pilot said we weren't ready.
I'd have to pull the ATC tapes on this one. However, it more looks like an abandoned approach than a missed approach, as they never went below 4000' on final, which makes it very likely that they were indeed not ready and needed more time to prepare the approach.

Originally Posted by username
Then after landing, one of the ground supervisors seemed to have taken a pilot into an office downstairs. 737-800W # 3245.
The dreaded call to ATC. Not necessarily related to the abandoned approach, though it likely is.
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Years ago was on 737 landing at SNA, and just as we were about to touch down, power went way up & we aborted the landing & went around. As we were resetting for another landing, pilot explained that there was a plane at the end of the runway taking too long to get out of the way. I think the idea is to make the decision to abort LONG before the situation gets dangerous.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:19 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by TomMM
Listen to the ATC tape involving AC781 or AC759 at SFO if you want more excitement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQlQFn0euI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.