Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here fly on their own dime

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
On my own dime, but could never reach 1k due to the PQD, so always ending in Plat (thanks to the CC waiver).

I always plan a few international trips every year, and a couple of A or P fares, domestic, to meet the miles.

Being Gold/Plat is great for the international trips.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I have the occasional work trip for a conference or meeting, but most of my travel is on my own dime as well.
The first year I earned elite status on UA, it was due to work travel, and then I became hooked!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ought to be an acronym equivalent to OPM (other people's money). How about MOD (my own dime).

Two trips a month may justify acquisition of Chase United Club card. You may or may not find first year free at a branch vs online thru United.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I travel almost entirely for leisure on my own dime. I do a couple of work trips a year but they have all been on flights less than 2 hours from IAD, so I just pick the most convenient schedule regardless of airline.

The leisure trips are much longer (international, West Coast, Hawaii,) so I'll fly United for the PQM's and use the credit card to avoid PQD requirement.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUsedToBeFun
All my own dime. Love to travel and the thrill of finding a great fare! Switched to MP this year and hope to hit 1K!
Oh, the dichotomy!

Your own dime.
Thrill of finding a great fare.
Switched to MP and hope to hit 1K.
PQD requirement.

Which sentence does not belong?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:37 pm

The kid and I fly for leisure, mostly domestic with one or two international a year.

Ms. p_man flies on OPM for the bulk of her travel.

Life as a silver is pretty tolerable when you have a MM GS spouse.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Yep. And 1K, 150,000 PQM / 16k PQD this year.

Long story. But I love it when UA sometimes assumes I'm flying for a company and tells me to "talk to my travel department". Yeah, that's me. CS agents generally think I'm insane.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by gl89
Just want to see the 1K 'experience'.

Let me know when you find it; three years and I'm still looking. First place I'd look is the late 90s....
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
100% leisure flyer on my own dime here. I moved most of my flying to AA in April after sending casual email and got the EXP challenge and match (will end up at 115K on AA in 2015). I still managed to pass 100k PQM on UA in 2015; 60% of it done before 3/1/15, plus two transpac trips on NH in the year. I think I will retire when AA finally switches to revenue-based earning.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
100% leisure now on my own dime.

Somehow I managed to get enough trips to leave me 900 miles short of Silver again. I maintain the Presidential Plus card to top me off each year.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Back in the days...

... when I got laid off towards the end of 2008 I paid around $600 AI for SFO-HNL-LAX-SYD-HNL-SFO per RT x 4 - partly for miles - mostly for pushing past the first MM - getting to 1K one last time was a bonus.

I'm originally from Oz - my family thought I was off my rockers for flying into SYD just to have lunch and dinner with them every two weeks leaving Mr Lainys and the kiddies back in SFO

It paid off as when I booked Z Thanksgiving fares ($2200 AI) SFO to MUC on LH for the family and used printed SWUs for upgrades into First. Coming back the same certs worked again and we spent a few hours in LH FCL at MUC... I know it's not the FCT at FRA but it's the closest we will ever get to picking up a rubber duckie!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by tcp1

Let me know when you find it; three years and I'm still looking. First place I'd look is the late 90s....
Im going to go out on a limb and say you find it if you go out of non-Hubs, but for EWR, DEN, ORD and especially SFO - you are a 1kettle
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My business, leisure and commute (my wife and I still live in different countries) travel are all on my own dime.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
The stats from my FlightDiary show lifetime totals of approximately:

92% leisure, on my own dime (small percentage of that was footed by my parents in the 80s and 90s, but we didn't fly that much)
8% business, OPM

Average about 250K BIS annually these days, spread across all three alliances and AS.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Maybe 80-90% my own dime, then the remainder from father-son trips.

The 12k requirement definitely makes it a bit more challenging without directly purchasing into higher classes... that said, given that you can often book in domestic F for not too terribly much more than economy, I find myself doing that from time to time for longer flights... which bumps the PQM and PQD in one motion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.