Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines to Bring Customers Coffee's 'Gold Standard' with illy Premium Blend

CHICAGO, Nov. 19, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines and illycaffe are creating a new alliance that will offer the Italian company's delicious premium blend to delight customers on board and in United Club locations worldwide.

Beginning next month, United will offer illy's signature scuro dark roast and the coffee company's espresso in United Club locations at the airline's mainland U.S. hubs. Other lounge locations will offer illy in 2016, with the scuro dark roast coming to flights worldwide next summer.

Not Just a Cup of Coffee
Chosen after extensive testing with United customers and employees – including in-flight taste tests – illy reflects the airline's global network as well as United's commitment to creating an elevated, distinctive premium experience for its customers.

Based in Trieste, Italy, with more than 80 years of history in the coffee industry, illy's distinct flavor comes from a unique blend of the top one percent of Arabica beans, purchased directly from the best growers in Brazil, Central America, India and Africa.

Noted for its strong commitment to sustainability, illy's internationally certified supply chain includes farmers who earn above-market prices in exchange for meeting quality standards – enabling the company to offer world-class blends.

A recent Wine Spectator magazine article praised the coffee, saying it "has become a gold standard in high-end restaurants and five-star hotels around the world."

"Our collaboration with illy is helping to make the world feel a bit smaller and making flying that much more special, simply by way of a perfect cup of coffee," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of food services and United Clubs. "By serving the world's most well-known premium coffee in our clubs and on board, we are communicating an experience to our customers and our employees with the quality and care that comes with every cup."

"It's truly an honor for illy to be selected as the worldwide coffee partner for United Airlines. The process and final decision to choose illy demonstrates United's deep commitment to providing its customers the highest quality products and experiences," said Andrea Illy, Chairman and CEO of illycaffe s.p.a. "Our new relationship with United Airlines is also a testament to our passion for the best and recognition that the illy brand is the world's reference for coffee culture and excellence."

Illy will be complimentary on every flight and when offered in United's lounges.
Print Wikipost

UA serving illy’s world-class coffee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
While sitting in 1A on a CR7 recently, I noticed the FA wrap the coffee filter packs in a standard paper towel before putting into the brew basket. Did it for both brewers.

I didn't taste the results (it was a vodka morning) but wondered what was up with the coffee procedure...

Anyone else see this? I can't imagine it is SOP with illy.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by goodeats21
While sitting in 1A on a CR7 recently, I noticed the FA wrap the coffee filter packs in a standard paper towel before putting into the brew basket. Did it for both brewers.

I didn't taste the results (it was a vodka morning) but wondered what was up with the coffee procedure...

Never seen that but could be her experience with the bag ripping so a cautionary measure?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by goodeats21

That sounds nasty.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Been a while since I've flown UA, but tried out their illy hot coffee onboard a 777-200. Was definitely better than freshpoo but not that much better...

Instant coffee would win if it was a contest.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by triplefives
Instant coffee would win if it was a contest.
Well...they have that too, just order decaf.

Though apparently that's awful. On IAD-FRA a few weeks ago, someone came to the back to ask them for decaf for the friend she was traveling with...FA told her it was instant and awful, and she recommended the pax go back and tell her companion they didn't have any.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Though apparently that's awful. On IAD-FRA a few weeks ago, someone came to the back to ask them for decaf for the friend she was traveling with...FA told her it was instant and awful, and she recommended the pax go back and tell her companion they didn't have any.
I beg to disagree on the quality. I actually like the illy instant decaf they are serving. Not as good as brewed but better than others. My question is this: Does anyone here know where to buy those single-serving packets like UA serves? I have search high and low and cannot see any source. Not even illy's own website has any info. I usually bum a couple of the FAs but I would actually buy them if I could. Anyone? Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by MrMillion
I beg to disagree on the quality. I actually like the illy instant decaf they are serving. Not as good as brewed but better than others. My question is this: Does anyone here know where to buy those single-serving packets like UA serves? I have search high and low and cannot see any source. Not even illy's own website has any info. I usually bum a couple of the FAs but I would actually buy them if I could. Anyone? Thanks.
I agree on the quality. I find it very drinkable.

Closest I could find were here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Illy-ins...-/283226887684
But don't see them as decaf...and based out of Australia....
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I dreaded seeing this thread on Page 1 as I feared UA was going to cancel Illy.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:40 pm

So...I talked to someone at Illy-US and...drum roll...this is United exclusive. Dang. Now it has become a quest. I need to wheedle some out of UA. Let me think...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MrMillion
So...I talked to someone at Illy-US and...drum roll...this is United exclusive. Dang. Now it has become a quest. I need to wheedle some out of UA. Let me think...
United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]

David
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I dreaded seeing this thread on Page 1 as I feared UA was going to cancel Illy.
Me too. My heart skipped a beat.
EWR764 and NYCjd like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thread revival…

Illy’s building a large kiosk at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu. Illy should offer 25% discounts to MP members. Seems like a good co-marketing possibility.

samosa, LarryJ and EWR764 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The phrase "world class" is as meaningless as "organic".
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Illy Iced Coffee

I’m not a coffee drinker but at IAH I’ve noticed cans of Illy cold brew on ice on the bar tops (specifically at the C North lounge). So today at LGA a colleague wanted an impromptu espresso martini made from the Illy cold brew tap plus the house vodka. Bartender said house vodka was free but Illy cold brew tap pour was $4. So is this the case systemwide now and did I just assume the IAH Illy cans were free because they were out in the open to be grabbed? Or is this another example of UA being perpetually inconsistent?
Old Sep 8, 2021, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
I’m not a coffee drinker but at IAH I’ve noticed cans of Illy cold brew on ice on the bar tops (specifically at the C North lounge). So today at LGA a colleague wanted an impromptu espresso martini made from the Illy cold brew tap plus the house vodka. Bartender said house vodka was free but Illy cold brew tap pour was $4. So is this the case systemwide now and did I just assume the IAH Illy cans were free because they were out in the open to be grabbed? Or is this another example of UA being perpetually inconsistent?
I experienced the same, but I think it was at EWR. Displayed cans on the bar top, but was not complimentary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.