FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Inside Look: UC @ ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1724195-inside-look-uc-atl.html)

LegalTender Nov 13, 2015 9:13 am

Inside Look: UC @ ATL

deleted

LegalTender Nov 13, 2015 9:36 am

deleted

EWR764 Nov 13, 2015 9:48 am

Looks pleasant. Confirmation of self-serve alcohol (at some point...) is a major ^!

JBord Nov 13, 2015 9:53 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 25707828)
Day 1 Notes:

• No alcohol. License approval pending.
  • No bagel toaster. Club doesn't want the smell.
  • Large staff, likely an opening day anomaly.
  • Elevator broke. Porters carry your bags upstairs.
  • Lead staff retained. Huge smiles.
  • Self-serve bar, when/if app is granted.
  • 4900 sq ft space.

I think toasters are being removed from all the clubs as they switch over to the new menu, so I don't think smell is the actual reason. Self-serve bar sounds great.

LegalTender Nov 13, 2015 9:53 am

deleted

kirkwoodj Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am

Glad they kept those great ladies!

milepig Nov 13, 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 25707896)
Looks pleasant. Confirmation of self-serve alcohol (at some point...) is a major ^!

I'm surprised. Is there any other domestic United Club with self-serve booze?

LASUA1K Nov 13, 2015 10:32 am

To me it looks like a hospital waiting lounge.

PVDProf Nov 13, 2015 10:36 am

It looks just like the SEA club. The self-serve bar would be a great addition.

haddon90 Nov 13, 2015 10:46 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 25708005)

domestic club...not that i can think of. GFL is though.

Ghilliegal Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am

it's open!

The Club is open. Elevator broken at moment. Lovely greeting by staff plus a golf amenity kit. Usual food offerings. Lots of light. No bar that I can see. There is a covered tap and some empty refrigerators so maybe not fully operational just yet. Safe travels everyone.

REPUBLIC757 Nov 13, 2015 11:34 am

Looks pretty drab - too much gray. Seems like the same amount of space as the former UC club in ATL? :confused:

skibum3d Nov 13, 2015 11:47 am

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 (Post 25708412)
Looks pretty drab - too much gray. Seems like the same amount of space as the former UC club in ATL? :confused:

Much larger, I just stepped in. Great views too, looks like ORD F concourse. They're also giving away golf amenity kits today. Finally, the bathroom situation is much better than the old club. Separate men's and women's, and multiple commodes in at least the men's side.

EWR764 Nov 13, 2015 11:52 am

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 (Post 25708412)

This lounge is significantly bigger than the old one, and a better layout. Seattle, for instance, is about 6000sf, and it is fairly large.

physioprof Nov 13, 2015 1:04 pm

I like the old-school aviation photographs on the walls.

PVDProf Nov 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof (Post 25708785)

I like them, too, in SEA. I had interpreted these as a homage to Boeing, an expression of club's city. I think it would be neat if there were similar-vinatge photographs from ATL's history.

CaptainMiles Nov 13, 2015 1:49 pm

At 3:30pm this Club is VERY full. Hardly an empty seat to be found, and definitely no two seats together anywhere.

Food selection is the usual but somewhat limited. No full salad, no bananas, only soup, hummus, cheese, olives, peppers, apples, and the cookies and crackers. The ice tea is sweet tea, as befits the South. Good move.

View of the tarmac and ramp ops is better than the old lounge, because we sit higher up.

Same old friendly faces, and that is a BIG plus.

Thi is a very nice improvement. UA at ATL keeps getting better: T gates, decent gate seating with power, Wifi (courtesy of ATL), and now a lounge. Keep up the good work!

Tall Paul Nov 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Looks good - glad to have them and the club back

Man, my flight on Thursday was a zoo (ATL-DEN). Must have been 20+ in group 1.

dmurphynj Nov 13, 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 25707828)
Day 1 Notes:[*]Lead staff retained. Huge smiles.[/LIST]

By FAR, the most important piece! I'm so happy - I saw the photo and recognized the wonderful staff... Great news indeed!!

WineCountryUA Nov 13, 2015 2:20 pm

Those has been in the hallway to or in the temporary SFO UC.

MarkyMarc Nov 14, 2015 8:03 am

Echo the comments above about retaining the great staff. But, man, was this club crowded at 1500 yesterday. Look and feel of the club is similar to SEA on a MUCH smaller scale. And certainly some opening day/week kinks that will need to be worked out. But, pleasantly surprised!

PTahCha Nov 14, 2015 8:53 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 25709163)
Those has been in the hallway to or in the temporary SFO UC.

... and pretty much the motif and pictures at all the renovated UC. Still, thought they were pretty cool.

LegalTender Nov 14, 2015 9:12 am

deleted

CMK10 Nov 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Looks pretty nice, kind of like the new UC at SEA. I have a long ATL layover in January so I think I'll head over and check it out. Thanks for the pics, OP!

SFO 1K Nov 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by PVDProf (Post 25708857)
I like them, too, in SEA. I had interpreted these as a homage to Boeing, an expression of club's city. I think it would be neat if there were similar-vinatge photographs from ATL's history.

This is all part of the "brand". Not only do you find these in all the renovated UCs, they are features in elevator lobby areas and the conference room floor and employee lounges at WHQ - Willis Tower.

tealeaf99 Nov 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Here are some more pics of the two different sections of the club. Yes, the club does have that "new club" smell. :)

http://i.imgur.com/A83DODal.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FjPz8xhl.jpg

flybit Nov 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 25708097)
To me it looks like a hospital waiting lounge.

wow I think you go to a great hospital

sanfran8080 Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm

no booze???? Hurry up with the liquor licence.

tealeaf99 Nov 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Here are a few more pics that were taken this afternoon. I did not have enough time to post them as I had to run to my flight. (ahem, Delta ;))

http://i.imgur.com/rqvHb0Bl.jpg?1

The elevators are working. However, on the upper/Club level, the elevator light is not working.

http://i.imgur.com/j4TqViLl.jpg?1

I will say that the front desk staff were warm and welcoming. The staff greeted everyone as they entered the club, and thanked everyone and wished them safe travels as they left the club. I have never seen this genuinely friendly attitude at any United Club anywhere. ^

The crew on the floor of the club also went around and asked if you needed anything. This was also very nice. ^

Madone59 Nov 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Good looking UC.

davidviolin Nov 17, 2015 9:29 pm

It really reminds me of ORD F club, except its a lot smaller, (its surprisingly small) and with no bar. Also, how hard is it to offer some coffee or tea lids, so I can take my coffee to go?!!

I found it funny that its right above AA gates, looking out at the AA planes, not a UA plane in sight. Very nice staff

exerda Nov 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Honestly, I don't worry much about the interior appearance of a club; I'm more concerned with the actual amenities... and the UC falls short on that front. It doesn't matter how they renovate or open a new club.

transportbiz Nov 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 25708005)

HNL

SFO 1K Nov 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 25732020)
HNL

Since when? I've always had to order from the bar.

mh3265a Nov 17, 2015 10:16 pm

HNL

Nope HNL has a bartender in the back. Only UA clubs that I've seen with self-serve are international

kirkwoodj Nov 19, 2015 11:25 am

HNL

Nope.

Dan72 Nov 19, 2015 11:54 am

Perhaps confusing with the Admiral's Club? They have free pour spirits there, or at least in the evening when there are international OW departures using the lounge.

EWR764 Nov 21, 2015 10:37 am

I visited the ATL club today and was impressed with the ramp views, large vintage UAL photos and spaciousness of the lounge. However, I think there could have been some more color incorporated into the design, like LHR, with some more blue/gold. The white/grey is a bit sterile. Also, I would prefer a partition between the restroom entrances and the seating area. When the doors open, you are afforded a view right into the bathrooms and I just find that unpleasant.

Overall, though, it's a major improvement over the old PC in D and easily preferable to the AC across the hall on T.

elitefreak Nov 21, 2015 11:35 am

Bathrooms?

Can I assume that they have upgraded to normal M/F multi-user restrooms as opposed to the "one holer" in the old CO club in D?

dmurphynj Nov 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by elitefreak (Post 25751314)
Can I assume that they have upgraded to normal M/F multi-user restrooms as opposed to the "one holer" in the old CO club in D?

Yeah, that restroom was ... unique. Don't think I've ever been in any other UC that has a separate waiting room just for the loo!

I'll be in ATL in 2 weeks - looking forward to seeing the staff again - they're easily my favorite in the system (well, them and the LGA crew... They've saved my bacon many times.)