Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals - Questions, Experiences,... only AVML, GFML, Kosher, VGML meals

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Resolution to the SAN-EWR KSML-- $25 flight credit. No explanation of why the system offered the option at booking when KSML not offered from SAN. I suppose it cost too much to write an extra line or two of code.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by nsoltz
Resolution to the SAN-EWR KSML-- $25 flight credit. No explanation of why the system offered the option at booking when KSML not offered from SAN. I suppose it cost too much to write an extra line or two of code.
SAN-EWR in F does qualify for a KSML and $25 is absurdly low for not having a meal.
HUCA.
UAFAM likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
SAN-EWR in F does qualify for a KSML and $25 is absurdly low for not having a meal.
HUCA.
Yes. Agree. They would not respond to my further query about the $25 flight credit nor to my assertion that they offered the meal at booking. But since we want to avoid LGA and JFK for full AA schedule, we're stuck with UA. So just need to make the best of it.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Any recent examples of GFML to/from Europe in Polaris?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I’m leaving next week SFO-SIN as well and while I have AVML in my profile I would like to lock in a preorder option instead. AVML has lost its luster since COVID. What was once a reliable slightly Indian style offering of reasonable taste and quality has become bland and middling mush.

seems like a trend with the standard offerings too though
Old Jul 7, 2023, 11:38 am

Has anyone ordered a "special meal" recently? Last summer the USA to Europe vegan option was actually pretty decent, all be it missing a desert for one of us. (Our FA jokingly said it was missing because he ate it. Was not at all funny at the time.) It's never clear what the offering is going to be. Flying SFO-AMS later this month.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Eating anything on a UA flight has become challenging for me. I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (Gluten allergy) about 2 1/2 years ago. What I have come to realize that there are severe health issues I will be confronted with if I don't change my diet to be gluten free, which I immediately did. However, I have found there is a great amount of ignorance regarding gluten allergies and cross contamination (yes, this is a very real issue). The food offerings are very limited for those of us with gluten allergies. It would be nice if UA offered real options on all flights that contained at least one meal offering that is gluten free (and not the Tofu protein bowl either). I have found that very good meals can be made without gluten with just a little thought and preparedness. That said, I never rely on whether I am able to eat on a flight so I do prepare but the menu choice would be welcomed for those of us with gluten allergies.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
Eating anything on a UA flight has become challenging for me. I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (Gluten allergy) about 2 1/2 years ago. What I have come to realize that there are severe health issues I will be confronted with if I don't change my diet to be gluten free, which I immediately did. However, I have found there is a great amount of ignorance regarding gluten allergies and cross contamination (yes, this is a very real issue). The food offerings are very limited for those of us with gluten allergies. It would be nice if UA offered real options on all flights that contained at least one meal offering that is gluten free (and not the Tofu protein bowl either). I have found that very good meals can be made without gluten with just a little thought and preparedness. That said, I never rely on whether I am able to eat on a flight so I do prepare but the menu choice would be welcomed for those of us with gluten allergies.
I too no longer rely on what United provide, just recently SEA to IAD the gluten free meal that I ordered had what looked like a regular bread roll in plastic and a regular brownie with wheat. I mentioned this to the FA whose comment was oh boy I am glad you read the label, I will make a note. On the way back EWR to SEA gluten intolerant meal was not loaded and the FA's were great in trying to accommodate, but the result was having the regular lemon chicken but still getting a tray with the cookie and bread on it! That being said, at least there is now the undercover quinoa crisp thingy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by flyvegan
Has anyone ordered a "special meal" recently? Last summer the USA to Europe vegan option was actually pretty decent, all be it missing a desert for one of us. (Our FA jokingly said it was missing because he ate it. Was not at all funny at the time.) It's never clear what the offering is going to be. Flying SFO-AMS later this month.
Had a VGML order in PE on a transcon recently out of SFO and there was a surprisingly good Thai green curry with rice, with an orange in place of the desert section. Breakfast on the other hand was just a huge plate of the "bean salad" served as an appetizer earlier.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 6:10 am

KSML service EWR-TLV-EWR. The Fresko meals served ex-EWR are phenomenal. Well-prepared and more than ample. On the other hand, the Hamasbia meals served TLV-EWR are marginal at best. I think it is just TLV catering. The El Al meals ex-TLV are also bad.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fed planner
Does anyone have current GFML experiences to/from Europe in Polaris? Pics appreciated.
Originally Posted by fed planner
Any recent examples of GFML to/from Europe in Polaris?
BCN-EWR

fed planner likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
GFML IAD to LHR

Gfml IAD to LHR 20 July 2023

fed planner likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
Gfml IAD to LHR 20 July 2023

I've never understood why they can't give butter rather than margarine for the bread, or a vinaigrette for the salad dressing as a wedge of lemon is not great.

Plus what are the bird droppings with dried fruit on top?
atword likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:19 pm

Do they offer Freshko kosher meal out of IAD, (since IAD is pretty close to NJ)?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:37 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite, EY Silver, VS Silver
Flying in Polaris for the first time on Friday. It shows the Baby spinach tortellacci as the vegetarian option. Any ideas on what is usually served either for the Asian Vegetarian or Vegetarian (non-dairy) special meals in Polaris? Flight is UA999: EWR - BRU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.