FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1688126-p-s-operations-transitioning-ewr-october-25-2015-a.html)

Kacee Feb 26, 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 26248681)

Terrible news. Uber is literally half the cost of a taxi from EWR into midtown.

Bonehead Feb 26, 2016 1:00 pm

I agree with the move. As explained in the linked article:

"...But Newark Mayor Ras Baraka said it was an issue of regulations, compliance and safety.

Taxis and auto cabs — they have to have a particular license; commercial license; they have to be investigated, finger-printed; and more importantly, they have to have medallions and they have to pay the city,” Baraka explained to CBS2...."

Not hard to understand. The playing field needs to be level.

greg99 Feb 26, 2016 1:03 pm

It doesn't seem to be stopping availability of either Uber X or UberBlack cars - I just pulled up the app - plenty of both right now.

Greg

sfozrhfco Feb 26, 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by greg99 (Post 26248729)
It doesn't seem to be stopping availability of either Uber X or UberBlack cars - I just pulled up the app - plenty of both right now.

Greg

Dumb move by the city.

Xyzzy Feb 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Terminal A is actually in Elizabeth. D;)es this apply there as well? I would think not.

jjmoore Feb 26, 2016 2:38 pm

This really comes down to the fact that the city is not able to TAX these guys... that's all that it is.

This move is against living in a capitalistic society, as the city is strictly pushing to eliminate competition, keep the cost of the monopolistic rates high, and disguise this in the shroud of "oh, we are employing immigrants".....

Have any of you out there rode in a NYC cab lately? Old POS cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, shredded seats, busted shocks.... need I continue? All of my Uber / Lyft vehicle transports have been very nice, well-kept, nearly brand new cars for the most part.

This situation has the same ring as the huge debacle the city of Paris imposed on Uber a while back.

This is certainly another sad day for those that are out there trying to make an honest living.

Xyzzy Feb 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 26249204)
Have any of you out there rode in a NYC cab lately? Old POS cars with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, shredded seats.... need I continue?

I'm certain you are referring here to the generally dilapidated fleet of Newark taxis and n:eek:t NYC taxis which are usually pretty decent.

nycityny Feb 26, 2016 2:47 pm

"they violate a city ordinance requiring all commercial vehicles to pay to have licenses"

"they have to have medallions and they have to pay the city"

"ride-share companies violate a city ordinance requiring all commercial vehicles to have licenses"

"They also do not pay the city any additional revenue as taxi cabs do to pick up from airport and train station.”

This sounds like a mafia shakedown from the city - it's all about the money and payoffs the city is not getting. I'm surprised they're not taking baseball bats to the knees of Uber drivers...

transportprof Feb 26, 2016 2:55 pm

This really comes down to the fact that the city is not able to TAX these guys... that's all that it is.

This move is against living in a capitalistic society, as the city is strictly pushing to eliminate competition, keep the cost of the monopolistic rates high, and disguise this in the shroud of "oh, we are employing immigrants".....

This situation has the same ring as the huge debacle the city of Paris imposed on Uber a while back.

This is certainly another sad day for those that are out there trying to make an honest living.

Monopoly is a form of capitalism. Some would say that it is the form most preferred by capitalists. United has certainly shown tendencies to increase its monopolistic behaviour when given the chance - such as in its effort to swap the former PS slots at JFK with Delta for slots at EWR.

Kacee Feb 26, 2016 2:58 pm

the city is strictly pushing to eliminate competition, keep the cost of the monopolistic rates high, and disguise this in the shroud of "oh, we are employing immigrants".....

Yes there is a good reason Uber and Lyft are taking so much business from the existing services.

Have any of you out there rode in a NYC cab lately?

And most don't even know the city anymore . . . they get lost and/or take the wrong route all the time.

jjmoore Feb 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 26249219)
I'm certain you are referring here to the generally dilapidated fleet of Newark taxis and n:eek:t NYC taxis which are usually pretty decent.

Yes sir ... I had poor experiences in both NYC and to/from EWR last year in cabs.... really just jumped on the Uber bandwagon late last year and use them regularly now.

jjmoore Feb 26, 2016 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 26249280)
Monopoly is a form of capitalism. Some would say that it is the form most preferred by capitalists. United has certainly shown tendencies to increase its monopolistic behaviour when given the chance - such as in its effort to swap the former PS slots at JFK with Delta for slots at EWR.

You are correct in all of these statements. The real issue I have is that the governing body is interfering.... your examples are purely businesses doing business as usual without interference from the local / state / national government.

goalie Feb 26, 2016 3:43 pm

TOPIC CHECK

This is a discussion about United's P.S. Service transitioning from JFK to EWR. If you would like to discuss UBER, LYFT and other ride sharing services, please do so here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride-...uber-lyft-747/

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator

JVPhoto Feb 26, 2016 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 26248995)
Terminal A is actually in Elizabeth. D;)es this apply there as well? I would think not.

A also has its own liquor regulations that allow the UC to serve booze earlier than C.