FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   LH Fares earning post March 2015 - some fares 75/50/0% - post March 2018 now 100% PQM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1674648-lh-fares-earning-post-march-2015-some-fares-75-50-0-post-march-2018-now-100-pqm.html)

WineCountryUA Aug 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by neutral (Post 25261728)
Additionally, does this mean I am also not eligible to receive credit toward PQDs? All legs purchased via United.com.

Unfortunately that is correct -- K fares on LH don't earn anything. K is LH's rock bottom deep discount economy fare.

The rules for flying LH while crediting UA MP are here

B747SP Aug 12, 2015 3:02 pm

What was the class on your e-ticket receipt? Was it a LH flight number or a UA code share?

neutral Aug 12, 2015 3:18 pm

"S" out and "K" on return. Also paid the miles+$$ for upgrade but did not receive.

Now that this post has been sorted, I read through the old thread.

I see a comment that seems to indicate I may be eligible for at least something due to this being a 016 booking?

WineCountryUA Aug 12, 2015 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by neutral (Post 25261919)
"S" out and "K" on return. Also paid the miles+$$ for upgrade but did not receive.

Now that this post has been sorted, I read through the old thread.

I see a comment that seems to indicate I may be eligible for at least something due to this being a 016 booking?

There is this potential issue/exception (under additional conditions) for 016 bookings

Exclusions on earning award miles and Premier qualifying credits
MileagePlus award miles and Premier qualifying credits may not be earned on certain United and MileagePlus partner airline tickets. These include, but are not limited to:

Codeshare and partner flights: If you purchase a ticket for a flight that is marketed by United but operated by another airline (known as a codeshare flight), the fare class that appears on your ticket may differ from the fare class that the operating airline uses to determine flight miles earned. If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.
This is a bit convoluted and unclear.

akirby9 Aug 12, 2015 7:08 pm

United ticket (016), Lufthansa flights, NO miles?

I wanted to echo some of the discussion here as I am having similar issues.

As a loyal United flyer for several years, I was shocked to find that two recent flights ticketed on United but flown on Lufthansa received NO miles. I've flown both these routes in the past and had no issues. Sometimes the intra-European flights have been an issue, but I have always received mileage for ovserseas international flights.

Ticket information as follows (both start with 016, meaning ticketed through United):
IST MUC 4/15/2015 K
MUC BOS 4/15/2015 K

After several exchanges with customer service, this is the response I received:
"""""Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus® program!

Not all Lufthansa fare classes are eligible for earnings. Fare classes not listed on the Lufthansa earnings chart are not eligible for mileage credit, regardless of where the ticket is purchased. Also, some classes of service offer less than 100% mileage.

For complete accrual details for Lufthansa flights, please visit the Airline Partners and Global Alliancespage and click on the Lufthansa logo."""""

According to that chart, since I am a silver member, I am entitled to 7x fare miles. What gives? I thought the only time that you wouldn't accrue miles is if it wasn't issued on a United ticket and wasn't an eligible fare class on Lufthansa.

What's the point of buying it on a United ticket if you can't even get ANY miles? How can they get away with this? As far as I am concerned, the chart is wildly misleading because it doesn't indicate that you have to purchase certain fare classes, even if you are booking on a United ticket. Where is there a list of Lufthansa fare classes that are not eligible for any miles?

Do I have any recourse here? Any advice? Thanks.:mad:

Alison

WaxComb Aug 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by akirby9 (Post 25262918)
I wanted to echo some of the discussion here as I am having similar issues.

As a loyal United flyer for several years, I was shocked to find that two recent flights ticketed on United but flown on Lufthansa received NO miles. I've flown both these routes in the past and had no issues. Sometimes the intra-European flights have been an issue, but I have always received mileage for ovserseas international flights.

Ticket information as follows (both start with 016, meaning ticketed through United):
IST MUC 4/15/2015 K
MUC BOS 4/15/2015 K

After several exchanges with customer service, this is the response I received:
"""""Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus® program!

Not all Lufthansa fare classes are eligible for earnings. Fare classes not listed on the Lufthansa earnings chart are not eligible for mileage credit, regardless of where the ticket is purchased. Also, some classes of service offer less than 100% mileage.

For complete accrual details for Lufthansa flights, please visit the Airline Partners and Global Alliancespage and click on the Lufthansa logo."""""

According to that chart, since I am a silver member, I am entitled to 7x fare miles. What gives? I thought the only time that you wouldn't accrue miles is if it wasn't issued on a United ticket and wasn't an eligible fare class on Lufthansa.

What's the point of buying it on a United ticket if you can't even get ANY miles? How can they get away with this? As far as I am concerned, the chart is wildly misleading because it doesn't indicate that you have to purchase certain fare classes, even if you are booking on a United ticket. Where is there a list of Lufthansa fare classes that are not eligible for any miles?

Do I have any recourse here? Any advice? Thanks.:mad:

Alison

Maybe you should try calling. I've re-read the rules (http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298), and it seems to imply on 016 it's based on fare paid otherwise it's by fare class and miles. I'd hazard a guess that you should have gotten miles (even if it's a little).

Kacee Aug 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by akirby9 (Post 25262918)
IST MUC 4/15/2015 K
MUC BOS 4/15/2015 K

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the Lufthansa K fare is not mileage earning. United is not going to budge on this.

Originally Posted by WaxComb (Post 25262958)
Maybe you should try calling. I've re-read the rules (http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mark...spx?ItemId=298), and it seems to imply on 016 it's based on fare paid otherwise it's by fare class and miles. I'd hazard a guess that you should have gotten miles (even if it's a little).

It's in the fine print:
Certain fare classes are ineligible for accrual.
Lufthansa Earnings

Calling won't accomplish anything except pour more salt in the wound.

akirby9 Aug 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Yes, I saw the chart and even reviewed it when I booked. Since it started with 016, I assumed I was safe. It's convenient how the last sentence in fine print refers to "certain fare classes" being ineligible for accrual. What the heck does that mean? At least list the fare classes that are ineligible so people know when they book, or include language similar in the bottom chart for flights that do not start with 016.

Is this ultimately United's or Lufthansa's fault? I want to file a formal complaint about misinformation regarding miles but I don't know where to start. Thanks.

cfischer Aug 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by akirby9 (Post 25263038)

Is this ultimately United's or Lufthansa's fault? I want to file a formal complaint about misinformation regarding miles but I don't know where to start. Thanks.

Sorry, it's ultimately your fault. It is very clearly and cleanly stated that K-class on LH-operated flights does not earn any miles. And it has been that way for a long time. Even w/ the old system it would have not earned anything.

akirby9 Aug 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Where does it clearly and cleanly state that K class on Lufthansa does not earn miles on United tickets?

WineCountryUA Aug 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by akirby9 (Post 25263146)
Where does it clearly and cleanly state that K class on Lufthansa does not earn miles on United tickets?

Combination of a couple things together,
Just under the earning chart

All other fare classes do not accrue mileage.
and since K is not on the list, it is an "other fare class."

and as is stated concerning 016 ticket

This new way of earning award miles will apply to flights operated by United and United Express, with some exclusions. It will also apply to flights operated by a Star Alliance™ or MileagePlus partner airline when the ticket number starts with "016."
And in the earlier referenced Exclusions section

If a partner flight is not eligible to earn award miles, then it is also not eligible to earn Premier qualifying miles, segments or dollars.

Not that this stands out or is clear or obvious but the words are there.

Personally I agree with you but this seems to be the party line.

mduell Aug 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by akirby9 (Post 25263146)

Where does it clearly and cleanly state that K class on Lufthansa does earn miles in United MP??

Kacee Aug 12, 2015 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 25263202)
Not that this stands out or is clear or obvious but the words are there.

Personally I agree with you but this seems to be the party line.

I agree as well.

One should not have to parse the earnings page like a lawyer to figure this out.

In fact, I would note that several of our more knowledgable members here have been under the impression that all 016 tickets on LH (and other partners) accrue RDM and PQD. That fine print is difficult to see and the implications are not at all clearly laid out.

It seems to be intentionally drafted in a way that obscures the bad news.

flyhighajw Aug 13, 2015 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 25263694)
I agree as well.

One should not have to parse the earnings page like a lawyer to figure this out.

In fact, I would note that several of our more knowledgable members here have been under the impression that all 016 tickets on LH (and other partners) accrue RDM and PQD. That fine print is difficult to see and the implications are not at all clearly laid out.

It seems to be intentionally drafted in a way that obscures the bad news.

Even though United is clearly a non EU based airline, Lufthansa is and has to keep in the EU Commission's good books. There is a clear principle in UK + EU law that by the time you get to paying for any service or goods, you get what is listed and if it is mis-represented or obfuscated and you get / do not get what is listed the trader must make it good in the buyer's favour. Sweeping exceptions on an invoice is an example of obfuscation and the trader would be told by the court to grant the mileage.

As soon as the United website is aware of your MP number, to avoid these sorts of problems, it should list the rate of accrual for each flight that United will give. United knows what ticket you are intending to buy from Lufthansa as United will bill the flyer. Thus it knows what class of ticket you are getting.

Now, I agree that not all flights must give Mileage. However United could lead the way with being upfront about what is and is not on offer prior to purchase.

neutral Aug 13, 2015 8:32 am

Has anyone unwittingly purchased a K class flight, complained, and succeeded in getting miles?

I am more concerned about maintaining status than the actual award miles themselves and I'm out 8k miles with limited travel opportunities the rest of the year (4th quarter blackout!).

The most frustrating thing is the language of their response, United states that when purchasing a partner flight via United.com with a 016 ticket, you may potentially end up with a different class than originally displayed. How can one be loyal to United/*Alliance if they aren't willing to guarantee they are selling you what your paid for?

I have tried a few flight itineraries and I can literally not even replicate a K class fare now, so how am I to trust any of the non United legs to be reward eligible?