FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Experience with United Vacations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1674238-experience-united-vacations.html)

adarick57 Oct 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Experience with United Vacations

Achieved silver status with a chance to go gold, but do not now how to count the milege or $$$ amount I will pick up from an up coming united vacation trip to Rome. Airfare would have been $1450, but with a package I got my wife and I arifare for two and 4 star hotel for $3200. Now, how does that figure towards my gold level?

rubbernyc Oct 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Call United and ask them to break down the actual portion of the flight cost.

WineCountryUA Oct 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Welcome to FT!, adarick57

Originally Posted by adarick57 (Post 23677066)
.... Airfare would have been $1450, but with a package I got my wife and I arifare for two and 4 star hotel for $3200. Now, how does that figure towards my gold level?

Only the actual airfare portion will count toward status / PQD. Hotels and other items booked also with United Vacations (which is not a division or subsidiary of United Airlines) does not count toward status.

As mentioned earlier, you may need to call to find out the actual airfare portion. Also ask if it is consider a BULK fare -- that would be bad.

emcampbe Oct 14, 2014 7:33 pm

United Vacations

UA vacations often uses bulk airfares (and thats usually noted when you select flights). If it was indeed a bulk airfare, would there be any PQD?

adarick57 Oct 15, 2014 10:51 am

Bulk airfre

Noted that they have us on non-united flights but partners so hopefully we still get the credit. The good news is they gave us 20,000 bonus miles each for with flight of 10,000 each, the total in FF account will be 60,000 more miles.

V9 Jan 15, 2015 10:21 am

Miles from UA Vacations

With M+ miles based on $$, I am for the first time thinking of using UA Vacations to fill my vacation planning. Is UAV still using fly-mile based M+ awarding? For example, it says a round trip from WAS to HI gets 9814 miles (sounds right). Plus it's running another 10K bonus miles per island now.

Questions are, can I still use PRUs to upgrade a Bulk fare issued by UAV? Does CPU still work on their fares? Do Premier members still get the 25%, 50%, and 100% more miles?

Anybody used UAV recently?

RNE Jan 15, 2015 10:41 am

Originally Posted by V9 (Post 24172502)
With M+ miles based on $$, I am for the first time thinking of using UA Vacations to fill my vacation planning. Is UAV still using fly-mile based M+ awarding? For example, it says a round trip from WAS to HI gets 9814 miles (sounds right). Plus it's running another 10K bonus miles per island now.

Questions are, can I still use PRUs to upgrade a Bulk fare issued by UAV? Does CPU still work on their fares? Do Premier members still get the 25%, 50%, and 100% more miles?

I received the same e-mail. I'm not so sure the promotional blurbs take into consideration UA's impending change to RDM earnings. The bonus miles, though, seem pretty certain, albeit meager.

sierranevada Jan 15, 2015 10:58 am

Also possibly looking at this. My concern would be does the airfare qualify for PQM or PQD since it shows as "bulk"?

SeamusSA Jan 15, 2015 12:14 pm

Recent experience

Yep, over Thanksgiving weekend.
Base miles - Yes
Elite bonus - Yes
PQM qualification - Yes
PQS eligible - Yes
PQD eligible - No

Mileage bonus offer - 5k bonus base miles applied to each of our MP accounts

V9 Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks. How about upgrade? Were you at least listed at the waitlist for CPUs?

Originally Posted by SeamusSA (Post 24173227)

Yep, over Thanksgiving weekend.
Base miles - Yes
Elite bonus - Yes
PQM qualification - Yes
PQS eligible - Yes
PQD eligible - No

Mileage bonus offer - 5k bonus base miles applied to each of our MP accounts

sierranevada Jan 15, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by V9 (Post 24173250)
Thanks. How about upgrade? Were you at least listed at the waitlist for CPUs?

I just called since I had the same question. According to 1K desk, yes you can use instruments for upgrade. You may not be able to do it online so might have to call.

WineCountryUA Jan 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Note -- for bulk fare post 1 March 2015

Will I earn award miles on specialty tickets, such as a tour package?

The types of specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare you paid is not provided to United) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class on or after March 1, 2015.

Staymates788 Jan 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Flying to Cancun this weekend, booked all online thru United Vacations... Received a CPU on one of the legs (confirmed at T-48, with a companion, which surprised me but I think it's safe to assume this is not an elite heavy route).

My reservation popped up pretty quick on my United account automatically and I was able to change our seats to E+ without any problems.

emcampbe Jan 15, 2015 4:52 pm

I haven't used them, but did look up a fare a couple of months ago, and believe they do distinguish whether you are purchasing a bulk fare when it brings up the list of options. So in verifying, just looked up to CUN on a random date from IAH, and for the outbound flight it suggested, shows this (bolding mine, formatting changed a bit in copying):

Leaves: Houston - Intercontinental (IAH), 4/7/2015 9:00 AM Arrives: Cancun - Cancun AND Riviera Maya (CUN), 4/7/2015 11:20 AM

United Airlines #1012, Published Fare, United Economy
Travel Time:2hr 20min Additional baggage charges may apply Change Flight
And from CVG instead on the same date, shows this (again, bolding mine, formatting changed a bit in copying):

Leaves: Cincinnati (CVG), 4/7/2015 1:00 PM Arrives: Houston - Intercontinental (IAH), 4/7/2015 2:35 PM

United Airlines #4523† (Operated by UA 4523 /EXPRESSJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS), Bulk Fare, United Economy
Leaves: Houston - Intercontinental (IAH), 4/7/2015 3:50 PM Arrives: Cancun - Cancun AND Riviera Maya (CUN), 4/7/2015 6:10 PM

United Airlines #1020, Bulk Fare, United Economy
Travel Time:6hr 10min †indicates codeshare flight Additional baggage charges may apply Change Flight
So it does clearly show what kind of fare you are buying. In fact, if you click to change flight, the "bulk fare" and "published fare" are actually links, and it describes what each is.

If it comes back as a published fare (after March), you should get RDM based on $, PQM based on distance, PQD credited. If it comes back as a bulk fare, you should get RDM as a percentage of distance, based on fare code (the link above has an FAQ regarding specialty tickets would apply), PQM, but not PQD.

sierranevada Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm

So I booked a Hawaii vacation package today. After the flights were ticketed, I had to call to get the upgrade processed - there was no "upgrade" button on the reservation. It took quite a while - about 20 minutes - since it had to be done manually but had no problems. I used RPU's.