Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA paid/award tickets affected by LH strikes [2015] - who to talk to? Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous threads
Booked w/UA Miles on LH F - how to protect if possible LH strike causes IRROPS? (2014)

Strategy question after LH strike inconvenience (2014)

Lufthansa pilot strike....016 ticket (2014)

LH flight ticketed on UA stock--strike policy? (2012)

German air traffic control strike Mon. Feb 20(2012)

Lufthansa Pilot Strike
Airports:
•Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
•Munich, Germany (MUC)

Original Travel Dates: March 17, 2015 – March 21, 2015

Changing to earlier or later flights is allowed.

Final Travel must be completed by: End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​
Flight Changes:
•When rescheduled travel commences by March 23, 2015, change fees and fare differences will be waived.
•Travel may be rescheduled in any fare class, same cabin.
•For all other dates and ticket uses, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
LH Forum threads
Upcoming UFO (flight attendants) strike 2015
The current LH statement on the November 2015 strike:

Lufthansa information on announced strike action by the union of Independent Flight Attendants Organisation (UFO)
Against the background of the announced strike by the Independent Flight Attendant’s Organization (UFO) on Lufthansa flights from Friday 6th of November until Friday 13th of November 2015, Lufthansa is trying to keep the effect of the strike on its customers as low as possible.

The announcement would affect flights from Lufthansa German Airlines – Flights operated by Lufthansa CityLine, Germanwings, Eurowings, Air Dolomiti, Austrian Airlines, SWISS and Brussels Airlines are not affected by potential strike actions and will therefore run as planned.

At the moment no concrete strike actions are announced, hence the effect of these strike actions on flight operations cannot be estimated at this point in time. As soon as these effects are known, Lufthansa will set up a goodwill policy for all booked passengers. Passengers booked on a flight which has to be canceled due to strike actions, always have the opportunity to rebook or cancel their flight free of charge.

Lufthansa passengers, who provided Lufthansa with their mobile phone number in their customer profile, will be informed about any cancellations via SMS.
UA Waiver
LH Cabin Strike Action
Airports:
Berlin, DE (TXL)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Hamburg, DE (HAM)
Munich, DE (MUC)

Original travel dates: November 6, 2015 – November 13, 2015

Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between November 5, 2015 – November 20, 2015, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
For wholly rescheduled travel departing after November 20, 2015, through February 28, 2016, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Final travel must be completed by February 28, 2016.
Extended
Possible Lufthansa Flight Attendant Strike
Airports:
Berlin, DE (TXL)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Hamburg, DE (HAM)
Munich, DE (MUC)

Original travel date(s): November 26, 27 and 30, 2015​

Flight changes: Fees for same-day standby will be waived within 24 hours or original departure.

The change fee will be waived for travel rescheduled on earlier or later flights departing between November 24, 2015 and February 28, 2016 between the same cities as originally ticketed. A difference in fare may apply.

​​
Print Wikipost

UA paid/award tickets affected by LH strikes [2015] - who to talk to? Options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Expensive J tickets- I tried the online tool it wanted to charge be over $8,000 to change my LH segments from LHR-MUC-GRZ ot Croatia Airways LHR-ZAG. PLus the $450 change fee.

I called in to GS and they weren't aware of the strike and the cost to change the ticket to get the LH legs off of it was thousands of dollars. I am thinking of buying the one way Croatia flight for $533 usd and then seeing how things go...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's unlikely that LH is going to offer to book away from labor troubles until they occur and until LH does so, UA isn't going to start doing anything.

It's unclear to me whether you terminate or return from GRZ, but do bear in mind that if the LH flights do go and you no show, your onward/return ticket segments will be cancelled. If the LH flights do not go, you will still need to deal with having the segments removed.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Often1
It's unlikely that LH is going to offer to book away from labor troubles until they occur and until LH does so, UA isn't going to start doing anything.

It's unclear to me whether you terminate or return from GRZ, but do bear in mind that if the LH flights do go and you no show, your onward/return ticket segments will be cancelled. If the LH flights do not go, you will still need to deal with having the segments removed.
I return from GRZ but can fly into Croatia, Slovenia, or Austria - all work as final destination is in between all those. I guess I'll just have to wait and see....
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
While I agree that UA is unlikely to allow changes until the strike starts, aren't LH's announced strikes, particularly this close in, almost guaranteed to occur?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by exerda
While I agree that UA is unlikely to allow changes until the strike starts, aren't LH's announced strikes, particularly this close in, almost guaranteed to occur?
Yes this one is looking real - supposed to start Friday. Calling LH yielded the expected - it's a UA ticket call them...
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:26 am

I have a Lufthansa CityLine RJ flight (LH flight number) on 016 stock. Do the mainline LH labor actions typically also impact CityLine? I'm hoping they are an entirely independent company??
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Starman
I have a Lufthansa CityLine RJ flight (LH flight number) on 016 stock. Do the mainline LH labor actions typically also impact CityLine? I'm hoping they are an entirely independent company??
From what I have read they do not affect the subs like city line or German wings - only LH mainline.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Expensive J tickets- I tried the online tool it wanted to charge be over $8,000 to change my LH segments from LHR-MUC-GRZ ot Croatia Airways LHR-ZAG. PLus the $450 change fee.

I called in to GS and they weren't aware of the strike and the cost to change the ticket to get the LH legs off of it was thousands of dollars. I am thinking of buying the one way Croatia flight for $533 usd and then seeing how things go...
This sounds to me like you have discount or deep discount business class tickets. If it's a business trip, what is the policy about reimbursing very expensive tickets and how important is it for the company and your career that the trip proceed more or less as scheduled?

What would be the cost of a new ticket since you can apparently pay the $450 fee and get a refund/credit for your original ticket price? Perhaps you can purchase a new ticket to get somewhere fairly close without using LH and then take trains. However, be aware that sometimes when a disruption is anticipated, other airlines will change the fare rules to make newly purchased tickets totally nonrefundable and perhaps not even changeable.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:49 am

I also called UA since i have an award flight I just booked on LH F. The rep said they would rebook onto another routing, with no change fees, if the flight was cancelled.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by DCMC
I also called UA since i have an award flight I just booked on LH F. The rep said they would rebook onto another routing, with no change fees, if the flight was cancelled.
Yes this is part of the issue - until something actually happens with my flight no one will touch it....
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Airlines are known for being barely reactive. Proactive? Forget it.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by DCMC
Same class of service?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Same class of service?
I bet it would be a UA operated flight if you used UA miles rather than LH, LX, OS, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by transportbiz
Airlines are known for being barely reactive. Proactive? Forget it.
This is one time I can't fault the airlines for being reactive. Until the deadline passes there is no way to know if the strike will actually occur. There is always a lot of rhetoric and rage surrounding strikes and most of the time it is for posturing. They could still come to an agreement in the 11th hour, or extend the talks for X period of time. If that were the case it would have cost the airlines a lot of money to move people around on to partners for no reason. Being reactive in this case makes total business sense.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
The LH strike experience I have had with LH-operated, UA-ticketed trips is --

Before strike is announced: changes cost the change fee.

After strike is announced, UA usually issues a travel waiver. For award tickets they'll waive change fees but won't force partners to open space. For revenue tickets they'll waive change fees and (if the waiver says) fare difference.

After strike is announced, *at the airport* LH will reroute you with significant flexibility, including OAL, in same class of service to similar destinations, whether award or revenue ticket.

You have fewer options if you change in advance, but you have more time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.