Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP credit card now most efficient way to Redeemable miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum

Seems that the United Mileage Plus credit card is the quickest way to actually earn redeemable miles vs actually flying.
Am I reading this right
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by snapper6768
... most efficient ...... quickest way .....
those terms are probably very individually biased.

For some flight earnings will increase, for many / most flight earnings will probably decrease. So for the latter group with a Chase MP card, card credit earnings will be become are great % of there earnings.

Is this quicker or more efficient depends.

Note credit earnings require you to purchase something (after the signup bonus), so either you will have to shift from an existing purchase method or make more purchases -- again a personal issue.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
those terms are probably very individually biased.

For some flight earnings will increase, for many / most flight earnings will probably decrease. So for the latter group with a Chase MP card, card credit earnings will be become are great % of there earnings.

Is this quicker or more efficient depends.
So what example can you provide where flight earnings will increase? The only place i could see would be very short notice, short flights that are extremely expensive
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So what example can you provide where flight earnings will increase? The only place i could see would be very short notice, short flights that are extremely expensive
many examples in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html
1Ks flying >18cpm -- the "average" for UA is roughly 14 cpm, so those above average flyers. Most paid premium cabin also. GS clearly will also.
Clearly the bulk of cheapest, lowest economy flyers will see a decrease but as documented in the master thread others will no.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
many examples in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-distance.html
1Ks flying >18cpm -- the "average" for UA is roughly 14 cpm, so those above average flyers. Most paid premium cabin also. GS clearly will also.
Clearly the bulk of cheapest, lowest economy flyers will see a decrease but as documented in the master thread others will no.
I think for the vast majority of fliers the credit card is going to be the way to earn redeemable fliers. Even your Gold members are going to find very little value in the new system. Keep their status by flying but if they want to redeem better get a credit card
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
But how often can you get a credit card with the signup bonus? Assume I have all of the credit card now, and got all the signup bonus. I'm done then. No other way of "quickly" getting miles.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I have this sneaking suspicion that manufactured spending will be the next mileage running. The thing is that this time no one will brag about their hacks until they no longer exist.

For me I view this change as super refreshing: in a world where the airlines don't value our loyalty I am free to choose the cheapest ticket and best times.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
So what example can you provide where flight earnings will increase?
Fly pretty much anywhere from Canada to the U.S.

I think for the vast majority of fliers the credit card is going to be the way to earn redeemable fliers.
Don't forget that UA credit cards are not available in most of the world.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Not really. YYZ to west coast, if you're able to buy a <800$ base fare you're doing better on the old system. The big difference is on the expensive shorthauls.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:44 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
It appears the major airlines attach more emphasis to their customers spending money on their airline branded credit cards rather than having paid customers seated in their planes. IMHO, the emphasis should be on filling the seats of their planes and using cobranded credit cards as an ancillary source of revenue and profits.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have a one-way SFO-YYJ booked later this year, and the fare wasn't terribly bad. Under the old system, I'd get 900-some miles for the flight (with Silver bonus). Now, I'm getting 1100-something.

It's hard to get flights much cheaper on short haul one-ways, so if you're doing short-haul flying, you'll end up doing better.

Now, if only they could upgauge SFO-YYJ to a CR7.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Nearly any domestic flight that previously was getting minimum mileage credit that was pretty much any fare not bargain basement.

Also almost any premium cabin fare.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
For me I view this change as super refreshing: in a world where the airlines don't value our loyalty I am free to choose the cheapest ticket and best times.
Pretty much.

And it's nice to have 2MM under my belt in case they ever figure it out.

The delta between domestic and transborder fares has come down quite a bit, I'm not seeing the big differences that much these days (or it's not as bad as it used to be).

Don't forget that UA credit cards are not available in most of the world.
I'm also not sure that UA miles are a wise investment anyway.

Lately DL miles seem easier to use, AA miles have lower thresholds, AS have some cool redemptions and partners, BA has great deals for short hauls, etc.

With UA's increased redemption costs, partner premiums, and now tightened inventory, they are by far not my preferred currency for airline miles.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I found a much easier way for redeemable miles

Found a easier way to get redeemable miles, better than using Chase CC. Do a status match to AA, and fly with them. Many years as UA 1K flyer, switched because of United new policy- "We don't love our passengers, just their money." From a bitter UA flyer who watched upgrades disappear and now RDM disappear.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Also Chase Sapphire Preferred

I think for the vast majority of fliers the credit card is going to be the way to earn redeemable fliers. Even your Gold members are going to find very little value in the new system. Keep their status by flying but if they want to redeem better get a credit card
Agree and it is much the same in the Delta world.

United Flyers also have another option with the Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA card. Yields 2 times points on planes (including United), trains, buses, and ferries. Hotels and restaurants, too. Annual fee is a pricey $95.

The useful thing about this card is one can transfer points 1:1 to United Mileage Plus (and some hotels and BA's Avios). You can also link a Chase Freedom (no annual fee) VISA card to your CSP card, and transfer the 5% category bonuses to CSP where they can again turn into United miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.