Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will a stroller be oversized baggage without child?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will a stroller be oversized baggage without child?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Check stroller without baby?

The United web site on "infants and toddlers" says that:
Strollers may be checked to your final destination without a fee, in addition to your normal baggage allowance.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1051,00.html

Does that apply, even if you're not travelling with a child? I'm flying C SFO-SYD in a few weeks and thinking of bringing back a brand new stroller, preferably in the box.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
The United web site on "infants and toddlers" says that:
Strollers may be checked to your final destination without a fee, in addition to your normal baggage allowance.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1051,00.html

Does that apply, even if you're not travelling with a child? I'm flying C SFO-SYD in a few weeks and thinking of bringing back a brand new stroller, preferably in the box.
Craziest question I've heard in a long time - but a GREAT one!

can't wait to hear how it turns out.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:54 am

Given that quote is buried in a section devoted to travelling with infants I suspect you are out of luck... (and as the previous poster intimated.. possibly "out of mind" too...)

Travelling in C probably increases the chances of success.. although if you leave it in the box it really is "baggage" rather than a "stroller".. right?

Be very interested to hear how you go... I've fanatasised about taking my Rugged Gear guncart (www.ruggedgear.com) folded up onto a flight as a "stroller without baby" ... so I suppose I'm crazy too!!!! ^

(That guncart is built basically on a 3 wheel stroller frame... but is designed for carting multiple guns around at competitions... Given I am constantly asked "Where's the baby?" I thought I should seek the appropriate advantages!!!)
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
A friend of mine recently flew to Chicago to finalize an adoption. She brought with her a car seat and a stroller, but no baby, since the baby was in Chicago. While there, the adoption fell through, so she returned with stroller and carseat, but no baby. She did confirm to me that the stroller and carseat were free to check (which was probably the only bright side in her story).

Not sure which airline she was on, but given that we live in the Bay Area and she was going to Chicago, it was likely UA. Also, most airlines are fairly similar in this area...

Dan
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:14 am

Please reach out to your friend whose adoption fell through. This is known to feel as a death to some females
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by Centurion
Please reach out to your friend whose adoption fell through. This is known to feel as a death to some females
Thanks for your thoughts and concern -- it is a hard thing. She and her husband have been through the wringer, and are holding up better than I would have. We adopted our son, so I can imagine (but luckily never rode) the roller coaster ride she's been on...

Dan
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by clublounger
Craziest question I've heard in a long time
Actually, its been asked before:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ing-alone.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-policy.html

Back to the OP:
IMhO at best it goes against the spirit of the rule.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
We took a double stroller IAD-NRT as a present for our twin grandsons. I can't remember if it was counted as luggage or a free stroller because as a 1K I have an ample baggage allowance. It was not in the box as it was easier to handle that way. It seems to me that a stroller is a stroller.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: United

Back to the OP:
Think of it a repositioning flight, which often flies with many empty seats. There are many reasons why passenger (baby) and equipment (stroller) get out of sync.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Yep, but that was more about gate checking than checking as luggage.

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Back to the OP:
I think so too, but I also feel like it's one of those rules where you can come out ahead. I have frequently checked my snowboard bag as the excess piece of luggage, knowing that it costs 1/3 of a regular bag.

Either way, I think I'll only bring the stroller if I think it's worth paying the excess luggage fees. That way, I won't be disappointed if they charge me for it.

I'll report back to FT later.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wwu123
Think of it a repositioning flight, which often flies with many empty seats. There are many reasons why passenger (baby) and equipment (stroller) get out of sync.
Indeed. Next time, the stroller would certainly be flying with the baby.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
My two hockey pucks say take it out of the box and gate check it as it will probably be considered baggage if kept in the box. Now you might get questioned going thru security along the lines of "where's the baby" so you could always say something along the lines of "my other/better half" is already inside with the baby
Old Oct 15, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
My two hockey pucks say take it out of the box and gate check it as it will probably be considered baggage if kept in the box. Now you might get questioned going thru security along the lines of "where's the baby" so you could always say something along the lines of "my other/better half" is already inside with the baby
+1 to gate checking. We had to go through security separately and i had a stroller with me but no kids - no questions. Same for boarding, sometimes one of us boards first to claim overhead space (and gate checks stroller) and another near the end with kids. Again no questions - it is a common practice.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have never been asked to show a baby when checking a stroller. Nor have I been asked if I ski when checking a ski bag. And I have done both for friends who were traveling with me on different occasions. (I do ski but don't have a baby, in case you are curious.)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I have never been asked to show a baby when checking a stroller. Nor have I been asked if I ski when checking a ski bag. And I have done both for friends who were traveling with me on different occasions. (I do ski but don't have a baby, in case you are curious.)
I didn't say you would be asked to show the baby but rather just thinking along the lines of some over zealous security screener looking to further their career with that big catch of someone trying to illegally smuggle a baby stroller

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.