Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAinAUS
There are two versions of this configuration. They have the same number of seats in each cabin, however the rear lavatory configuration is different.

United's website now refers to these configurations as Version 3 and Version 4.

Version 3: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 3")

Version 4: United Domestic 777 "High Density" Configuration ("Version 4")
Print Wikipost

UA Creating High-Density 777 Domestic Subfleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
One version includes an exit row pair of E+ seats (see version 4 in the wiki above, or UA's own seat charts).
Yeah awesome seats right next to the lavs.

Y'all can have it. Never flying this aircraft in Y. Too many less miserable options.
rallyeHI likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are actually like 9 or 10 pairs of seats in coach, just mostly not in E+ (there's a bunch all the way in back where the fuselage starts to taper, and a couple kind of in the middle near the lavatories - in one version ahead of the exits and not E+, in the other version behind the exits with one pair being E+ exit row).
Originally Posted by minnyfly
There remains 11-12 sets of paired seats in the two new 777 configurations, with one of the two configs offering a couple prime E+ sets.
I have spent a fair share of time—and probably will spend more time—at the rear of a widebody, including this one, and I can't say I see any seat there as prime.

Perhaps we can conclude this is just a difference of personal preference, but I still do not imagine that anyone would feel any semblance of joy sitting anywhere in Y on it.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah awesome seats right next to the lavs.

Y'all can have it. Never flying this aircraft in Y. Too many less miserable options.
Originally Posted by fumje
I have spent a fair share of time—and probably will spend more time—at the rear of a widebody, including this one, and I can't say I see any seat there as prime.

Perhaps we can conclude this is just a difference of personal preference, but I still do not imagine that anyone would feel any semblance of joy sitting anywhere in Y on it.
I don't claim to like them, I don't claim to sit in them, but the absolute statement that they did not exist was false.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't claim to like them, I don't claim to sit in them, but the absolute statement that they did not exist was false.
Perhaps my rhetoric was too much then, but my point was that a two-seat was not appreciably better than a three-seat. I do not like being that close even to my partner for so many hours. That inch is the straw for the camel.

This doesn't even begin to address the problem that cleaning crews are not staffed to deal with this many seats, flight crews are not staffed to deal with this many seats, and so on.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by fumje

"Prime" is relative. Those seats are popular. Some of them are easily the roomiest seats in UA Y-, as long as pitch isn't a priority. And since there's only 2-people maximum, you have more open shoulder room and have only one person trapped in the window. They're the first Y- seat I'll go for. Of course E+ access changes the equation, but again V.4 has a great option there too. People have different tastes. No one should be implying that a good Y seat can't be found on the 777 but can on the 738.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:14 am

"Prime" is relative. Those seats are popular. Some of them are easily the roomiest seats in UA Y-, as long as pitch isn't a priority. And since there's only 2-people maximum, you have more open shoulder room and have only one person trapped in the window. They're the first Y- seat I'll go for. Of course E+ access changes the equation, but again V.4 has a great option there too. People have different tastes. No one should be implying that a good Y seat can't be found on the 777 but can on the 738.
No, the implication is that there really are no good Y seats on any United aircraft after the 777s go 10x.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Assuming I'm not paying for F, my prioritization would be: UA 772 in R > UA 738 in R > HA/VX/UA 738 in Y, with UA 772 in Y not an option.
This is my strategy, too. I absolutely refuse too book a flight on a UA 772 in Y, and would not accept an itinerary change that put me into Y on a 772.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
As a frequent passenger of ORD-SFO, I will take E+ on this route anytime! After flying ORD-LAX-ORD on 757-300 and 739, I'll take the 777 in the back every single time over those 2!

Yes the dings and dongs were really bad at first, but they are not bad anymore as they are mostly fixed now. And the few times I can buy F or get upgraded, it's a much better experience between any other narrowbody around.

We can complain and yell, but the only seat that is comfortable anymore are on the Airbus fleet, and trying to find one from ORD to West Coast is becoming very hard for me. AA is flying the 321, which is superior to the 739 and 753 as far as comfort.

And too add, all bags fit on the 777, the 739 and 753, bags don't fit for all passengers. I board late in the boarding process on the 777 flight as I always find room.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Plat*G | SPG G | Mar GE
@LASUA1K - when you are up front on that route, which seat do you prefer?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chicinchicago
@LASUA1K - when you are up front on that route, which seat do you prefer?
1AB, 1LK. I love flying backwards though. I would avoid row 3B and 3K.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by fly18725
No, the implication is that there really are no good Y seats on any United aircraft after the 777s go 10x.
That's not the implication, and objectively it can shown otherwise. A blanket statement like that sounds resentfully irrational. For example, even the 767 has no "good" Y seats? Not what's being said here.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

Almost correct. See below.

Unless and until UA installs a true PE on the 772 and 773, I will be avoiding them unless I can score a C seat. No way I'm flying 9-14 hours in back on a 10-wide configuration.

That's not the implication, and objectively it can shown otherwise. A blanket statement like that sounds resentfully irrational. For example, even the 767 has no "good" Y seats? Not what's being said here.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
Almost correct. See below.

Unless and until UA installs a true PE on the 772 and 773, I will be avoiding them unless I can score a C seat. No way I'm flying 9-14 hours in back on a 10-wide configuration.
Well, I wouldn't fly in Y for a 9+ hour flight on any airline.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
well that distinguishes you from me. While I spend $50-60K in business travel in a year, I also have a family, and while I would prefer to go in J, given that it is no longer reasonably possible to get for redemption in J, the option is (1) pay $20K+ for J, (2) pay $7-8K for PE, or (3) fly in Y.

Given that we do 2-3 trips overseas a year, spending $60+K for J is not a good use of $$$$. While not ideal, we have been relatively happy give good lounges and a 3-3-3 Y seat on a 777 or flying on a 340/330, or 767. This plane, and to a different extent the 787 are just different, they cross our "do not fly" point.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:16 pm

Having experienced 9+ hours in Y on both nine and 10 across aircraft, the former configuration is much less oppressive.
cawhite and rallyeHI like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.