FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1651441-current-ua-process-prioritizing-meal-orders-premium-cabins.html)

TomMM Jul 25, 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33435997)
Agreed that airports are often not much better. I meant before going to the airport.

If possible, it's best not to rely on the airline to feed you these days. Been served absolute garbage in F on quite a few 5+ hour flights, across all three legacies.

I've never been a fussy foo foo'ish person when it comes to food so airline cuisine suites me fine but last week flying CDG-ATL on DL in PE we were given wooden utensils which I thought were unique.

J.Edward Jul 25, 2021 10:18 am

Greetings all,

The topic of this thread is Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins - let's keep the discussion focused on that.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA forum mod

PTahCha Jul 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin (Post 33434851)
But the FA took orders from the port side rows 1 to 3, and then starboard side 1 to 3, and then our row. Why didn’t she just take all the port side rows one through four. Or all of row one, all of row two, and so on.

Probably scatter-brain or used to working widebodies, realizing that should she have done entire row 1-3, so she stopped herself and go back to row 1.

But yes, it is strange, since most FA would do entire row instead, especially with only 16 seats.

wpcoe Jul 29, 2021 7:54 am

Pre-Covid wasn't UA rolling out an app on the F/A company-issued smart phone to handle meal orders? Shouldn't hat have its bugs ironed out by now?

kirkwoodj Jul 29, 2021 9:25 am

Originally Posted by wpcoe (Post 33447615)
Pre-Covid wasn't UA rolling out an app on the F/A company-issued smart phone to handle meal orders? Shouldn't hat have its bugs ironed out by now?

Looks like they were using it on my flights in the past week

HGPilot Oct 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Domestic F Meal Rant

Just wanted to vent. DEN-LAX. No option to pre-order your meal via app or website. Ran out of vegetarian option by the time they got to us (row 4). No snack boxes from economy loaded either. So our only option is a cup of fruit off the side of the chicken sandwich meal. Is it really that hard to load a few more meals? Especially when it's out of DEN? Or why not give customers the option to pre-order.

I know running out of meal choices is common, it just seems like an extremely cheap move. I could tell that the FA felt bad about it also.

Oh and top it off someone around me has really bad, mask penetrating flatulence,

OK rant over.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Oct 19, 2021 9:10 pm

UA loads as many passenger meals as there are seats. They've played with pre-ordering, but it's certainly not promised anywhere. The key to maximize chances of getting what you want on UA (in lieu of higher status), is to select seat(s)as far forward as possible. It is what it is. Short flight, so the coroner probably didn't have to remove emaciated bodies :)

planes&trains Oct 19, 2021 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by HGPilot (Post 33659071)
I could tell that the FA felt bad about it also.

Based on what I had to deal with on my last four flights, I would have been thrilled if I received at least this.

HGPilot Oct 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 33659098)
UA loads as many passenger meals as there are seats. They've played with pre-ordering, but it's certainly not promised anywhere. The key to maximize chances of getting what you want on UA (in lieu of higher status), is to select seat(s)as far forward as possible. It is what it is. Short flight, so the coroner probably didn't have to remove emaciated bodies :)

Row 4 was the most forward row with 2 available seats. Plus there was a GS and a ton of 1Ks on the flight and I'm sure plenty of them were in F who probably got their order in first. I just don't get why it's so hard to load a few more meals. It's obvious that passengers have dietary choices/restrictions and by having zero extras this is going to happen. On the plus side the alcohol gets you harder on an empty stomach.

Hipplewm Oct 20, 2021 12:03 am

Do you have your meal preferences saved in your profile?

This is different than being able to pre order your meals....

There are 2 Vegetarian choice iirc
Strict Vegan and Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian

afaik, this automatically orders you that meal on any flight on UA or UA express where meals are served - but I will admit I don't know how much Covid affected this preference

WineCountryUA Oct 20, 2021 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 33659329)
afaik, this automatically orders you that meal on any flight on UA or UA express where meals are served - but I will admit I don't know how much Covid affected this preference

Presently UA is not offering Special Meals except for few routes and none domestically
Special Meals - Questions, Experiences, ... [Consolidated] (Presently only TLV)

Hipplewm Oct 20, 2021 2:21 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33659346)
Presently UA is not offering Special Meals except for few routes and none domestically
Special Meals - Questions, Experiences, ... [Consolidated] (Presently only TLV)

In this case, she said there was a vegetarian option - would their special meal preference worked? Maybe at least to show the FA that they have a vegan option selected or whatever, so they may have gotten that choice of food?

I dunno, all of this stuff is foreign to me and I always tell people if you are flying and want special food, you better bring it because you never know what catering is going to load.

UKdiver Oct 20, 2021 5:42 am

Could the flatulence issue be related to United's catering?

MBS MillionMiler Oct 20, 2021 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 33659467)
In this case, she said there was a vegetarian option - would their special meal preference worked? Maybe at least to show the FA that they have a vegan option selected or whatever, so they may have gotten that choice of food?

It still would not have worked. Think of that field being 100% completely ignored by anyone unless you're on a qualifying flight--transcons, certain longer international routes, longer haul Hawaiian. Simply, United does not offer special meals nor do they cater (no pun intended) to anyone with special dietary restrictions on most domestic flights.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 33659467)
I dunno, all of this stuff is foreign to me and I always tell people if you are flying and want special food, you better bring it because you never know what catering is going to load.

This. My wife has food allergies. She certainly does not rely on the airline to provide her with something safe for her. Even on the rare international/Hawaii flight where she'd be able to special order, she still brings plenty of backup food because we never know what to expect.

jpezaris Oct 20, 2021 8:16 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 33659826)
This. My wife has food allergies ... she still brings plenty of backup food because we never know what to expect.

I'm an omnivore, and I still put backup food, like a protein bar or trail mix, in my briefcase for every flight.