Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Help with routing ORD->EWR->SFO

Hi all,
I am currently booked in P class (an upgraded S fare, paid the $199) from ORD to SFO.

If I search for flights on United.com from ORD to SFO and sort by "duration" there are several flights that are ORD -> EWR -> SFO. I am trying to make a last-minute stop in EWR, so I would rather this route. Both legs show in P class and both legs show when I search just by entering a one-way ORD -> SFO (not via multi-city). This makes me think this should count as a "thru fare", as a United rep told me on the phone it must be.

However, the same day change button and the UA agents on the phone have been unable to do a same-day confirmed change to this routing. They keep claiming a fare increase.

If both flights show as P class and both show up in a search for flights from ORD->SFO, doesn't that mean it's a published "end to end" fare and I should be able to change into it? I understand that "forcing" the fare via multi-city makes it not an end-to-end fare, but in this case, I'm not doing that. So it should work, no?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TL;DR: This is extremely unlikely to work via an agent and only somewhat possible to work via the app.

Originally Posted by RdFltErr
Hi all,
I am currently booked in P class (an upgraded S fare, paid the $199) from ORD to SFO.

If I search for flights on United.com from ORD to SFO and sort by "duration" there are several flights that are ORD -> EWR -> SFO. I am trying to make a last-minute stop in EWR, so I would rather this route. Both legs show in P class and both legs show when I search just by entering a one-way ORD -> SFO (not via multi-city). This makes me think this should count as a "thru fare", as a United rep told me on the phone it must be.
Multi-city search and the actual faring that results are orthogonal. It is possible for UA's pricing engine to find a through fare even if you've searched using multi-city, and it's possible to do a one-way search and have it use a broken fare.

In this case, the routing rules for most ORD-SFO fares are "TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP." A few others are CHI-DEN/HOU/LAX-SFO. I don't see any that allow an EWR transit. Therefore, any search that returns an EWR transit point is using a broken fare -- CHI-EWR + EWR-SFO.

There's an additional problem. The fare rules for most domestic P fares explicitly disallow travel between EWR and SFO. So, even if you found some routing anomaly, you'd still be prohibited from using that fare for the EWR-SFO flight.

However, the same day change button and the UA agents on the phone have been unable to do a same-day confirmed change to this routing. They keep claiming a fare increase.
SDC is actually a change fee waiver. You should be able to change to the new routing, but they are (correctly, per policy) charging you the fare difference between what you paid and what the ticket would cost if purchased that way today. They are just waiving the change fee.

If both flights show as P class and both show up in a search for flights from ORD->SFO, doesn't that mean it's a published "end to end" fare and I should be able to change into it? I understand that "forcing" the fare via multi-city makes it not an end-to-end fare, but in this case, I'm not doing that. So it should work, no?
No. Note that "end-on-end" fare construction is actually what's used to put two fares together onto a journey -- in order to book ORD-EWR-SFO, you would use end-on-end construction to add ORD-EWR to EWR-SFO. Both fares that you selected would need to allow end-on-end combinations. What you're actually asking about is whether or not it's a valid routing for the through fare -- it's not.

You can't reliably tell the fare construction on the United website until you get to the fare rules display during the booking process. (If you have fare rules for ORD-SFO, you have a through fare; if you have fare rules for ORD-EWR and EWR-SFO, or whatever other airport, you do not). However, you can get a pretty good idea by looking at the classes selected in the Economy column. If they're different between the two legs, it's a broken fare. It doesn't work the other way, though -- if they're the same class, it could still be a broken fare.

Anyway, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't likely to work out the way that you're hoping. Your best bet is the app, which is known to ignore routing rules to a certain extent -- if that's not offering you the flight you want, it's not going to be available for a free change.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
If you change flights will cancel your $199 buy up too. If same ord-sfo route you may get the upgrade transfered but not if differant cities.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhunt
If you change flights will cancel your $199 buy up too. ....
Not sure this is true. It will depend on the type of upgrade -- if it was a true upfare and listed as an Add / Collect (vs Premium Cabin Upgrade) then I believe it will transfer
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
So, question...

When you go to view your reservation and choose "Change Flights" and enter a flight for the same day, I agree with everything you've said above - fare changes show up and I lose my upgrade for free changes.

In addition, if I search for a brand new flight from ORD to SFO in P class, nothing shows up. But if you click details on each flight, some show up with P class (even direct) despite showing unavailable in the "Requested Fare Class" column. i.e. you can't purchase P class, but it's there/available.

But, on the check-in page, if you click the "Search Other Flights" button, it shows two options (the ones that show P class, but weren't purchasable via P class)

The only thing I can figure out is that the "Search Other Flights" is blindly searching for P class availability and only on direct flights, due to the rules you stated above. Does that sound right?

This is .... complicated, huh
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, question...

When you go to view your reservation and choose "Change Flights" and enter a flight for the same day, I agree with everything you've said above - fare changes show up and I lose my upgrade for free changes.

In addition, if I search for a brand new flight from ORD to SFO in P class, nothing shows up. But if you click details on each flight, some show up with P class (even direct) despite showing unavailable in the "Requested Fare Class" column. i.e. you can't purchase P class, but it's there/available.

But, on the check-in page, if you click the "Search Other Flights" button, it shows two options (the ones that show P class, but weren't purchasable via P class)

The only thing I can figure out is that the "Search Other Flights" is blindly searching for P class availability and only on direct flights, due to the rules you stated above. Does that sound right?

This is .... complicated, huh
I can explain part of what you're seeing. Most domestic first class fares use a differential pricing scheme. You'll see these called "/UPDI" fares in some threads, as many of the fare codes end with /UPDI. For example, ORD-SFO has an economy fare listed as UAA0AKEY, and there is a corresponding "instant upgrade" first class fare listed as UAA0AKEY/UPDI. Both of these fares require availability in U class. Additionally, the /UPDI requires A class, which is what it actually books into. In other words, it can only be purchased if there's space available in both classes. The intent here is to keep a minimum spread between economy and first; before they came up with this, you could sometimes find flights where first class was actually less expensive than coach. That's rarely the case now, as the discounted first class fares disappear when the coach inventory sells out.

It's actually not possible to purchase a P fare on the nonstop flight for a departure today or tomorrow. All of the P fares on this route have an advance purchase requirement of at least 14 days -- because all of the economy fares that support them have a 14 day advance purchase requirement too. For example, if I search for Sunday, 8/27, I get TAA4AWEN/UPDI, along with its identically priced cousin TAA4AWFN, which acts the same but uses a first class fare template instead of the instant upgrade template.

Now, how does that affect your search results? First of all, it explains why you can't purchase a P fare on a new itinerary, even though P inventory exists -- there's no applicable fare. Based on your description, however, the Change Flight link appears to be providing some sort of advance purchase waiver. This is common for the return leg of a roundtrip, but some fares also include it on the outbound or on a one-way. The typical wording is that the advance purchase requirement should be calculated as of the original ticketing date, and the fare will usually give conditions (e.g., travel has already commenced, or the first ticketed segment is unchanged). Thus, if someone bought a ticket more than 2 weeks ago, that person would be able to use that fare to change to a flight with P inventory available.

If that text is your original fare rule, then you would be able to change to P inventory today, subject to any applicable fare difference and change fee -- and presuming that the routing is legal for the fare you already have. SDC provides a change fee reduction / waiver ($75 for general & Silver members; $0 for Gold and above). The fare rules govern the applicable fare difference (for example, whether historical fare or current fares are to be used).

All that said -- the "Change Flight" link on the website is notoriously defective. It will frequently fail with spurious errors, and I generally call whenever I need to make changes.

And, yes, it is complicated. Welcome to the wonderful world of pricing.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
For example, if I search for Sunday, 8/27, I get TAA4AWEN/UPDI, along with its identically priced cousin TAA4AWFN, which acts the same but uses a first class fare template instead of the instant upgrade template.
-FN is for the nonstop routing (allows transfers as well) and /UPDI requires that travel be not nonstop. As to why... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've seen only the latter get published at the bottom end of the fare table sometimes.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:35 pm

Curious to know other people's experiences. Trying to hold out for a SDC on a routing from SFO to ORK. The fares are all in Y Fare level right now (3 days) out but still plenty of availability in Economy. Is it likely that the fares will drop within 24 hours of travel and they are just trying to sell tix at the maximum price?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rabido
Trying to hold out for a SDC on a routing from SFO to ORK.
I didn't realize United flew to ORK. I wonder if Orson will be the pilot?

Originally Posted by rabido
The fares are all in Y Fare level right now (3 days) out but still plenty of availability in Economy. Is it likely that the fares will drop within 24 hours of travel and they are just trying to sell tix at the maximum price?
Whether fares drop or not is not relevant for SDC.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone tried doing a SDC that connects through a city with a weather waiver? I'm wondering if this would allow the ticket to be rebooked on different day.

E.g. XXX has weather waiver, Flying AAA-BBB-CCC -> SDC to AAA-XXX-CCC -> rebook ticket due to weather waiver.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I didn't realize United flew to ORK. I wonder if Orson will be the pilot?

Whether fares drop or not is not relevant for SDC.

I guess what he is referring to is the fare bucket drop, not the fare level drop. It relates to SDC in the sense that you may get hit with a hefty fare difference.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mtmonte
Has anyone tried doing a SDC that connects through a city with a weather waiver? I'm wondering if this would allow the ticket to be rebooked on different day.

E.g. XXX has weather waiver, Flying AAA-BBB-CCC -> SDC to AAA-XXX-CCC -> rebook ticket due to weather waiver.
I tried this once and the first agent gave me a difficult time when trying to make a change because she claimed my initial SDC was voluntary and completed after the waiver was in place so I should have known better. I asked for a supervisor and immediately had my ticket reissued without any pushback.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Airport standby questions

I'm flying AAA-BBB-CCC (domestic) and want to change the AAA-BBB segment to an earlier flight. However this will give me a >4 hr layover in BBB so confirmed SDC doesn't appear to be an option without charging a $300 fare difference. The phone agent told me I could do airport standby for the earlier flight for no fee.

Questions:
1) Is this true? Or will standby also require a fare difference?
2) I'm in paid F. How will I be prioritized vs. upgraders on the standby list?
3) If F is full can I stand by for a Y seat?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I'm flying AAA-BBB-CCC (domestic) and want to change the AAA-BBB segment to an earlier flight. However this will give me a >4 hr layover in BBB so confirmed SDC doesn't appear to be an option without charging a $300 fare difference. The phone agent told me I could do airport standby for the earlier flight for no fee.

Questions:
1) Is this true? Or will standby also require a fare difference?
2) I'm in paid F. How will I be prioritized vs. upgraders on the standby list?
3) If F is full can I stand by for a Y seat?
1 - Standby should not require a fare difference. Also, if the BBB-CCC flight you're on is relatively lightly loaded, you could SDC to an earlier AAA-BBB-CCC itinerary and then re-SDC BBB-CCC (to your original flight) after boarding at AAA (if no checked bags) or upon arrival at BBB (if checked bags, and BBB-CCC is at least an hour hence). It's risky, but it's doable.

2/3 - There's a single standby list for the plane. If you clear, you should then be at or near the top of the upgrade list as a displaced premium cabin passenger (PR-1/2 status -- I'm not sure which applies here). However, it's entirely possible to clear into Y. Also, depending upon load, they might clear upgrades before they clear standby passengers. For example, suppose they're oversold by 2 but are 18/20 in the F cabin. They'll clear 2 passengers from Y to F at T-30, then board the plane, and then clear the standby list at T-15 if there are any no-shows.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA
Connection to Non-stop

I don't think this is possible, but wanted to get thoughts. If I book EWR-ORD-SNA on a fare that is booked in K on the first segment and T on the second segment, would I be able to SDC to a Non-stop flight? If possible, I'm going to assume that the lowest fare inventory--in this case K--would have to be available on the n/s.

Anybody have success with something similar?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.