Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
SDC SFO-LGA A fare into SFO-JFK p.s. J/C/D fare??

I currently am SFO-LGA on paid A fare. I understand LGA and JFK are co-terminals, so SDC between them is allowed (?). But can I do this change and move onto a p.s. flight in Biz Class? I kind of doubt it, but could not find the answer in any search I did.

Last edited by blueman2; May 19, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by blueman2
I currently am SFO-LGA on paid A fare. I understand LGA and JFK are co-terminals, so SDC between them is allowed (?). But can I do this change and move onto a p.s. flight in Biz Class? I kind of doubt it, but could not find the answer in any search I did.
Did you read the wiki?

SDC is typically not allowed to a co-terminal.

You might be able to change LGA-JFK if you get a sympathetic agent, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you read the wiki?

SDC is typically not allowed to a co-terminal.

You might be able to change LGA-JFK if you get a sympathetic agent, but I wouldn't count on it.
Sorry, I confused us by using the wrong term. LGA-JFK are not co-terminal but are "ultra close"??

2nd bullet point of Wiki says LGA-JFK is OK thru Agent (A). Maybe I am not understanding this.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
2nd bullet point of Wiki says LGA-JFK is OK thru Agent (A). Maybe I am not understanding this.
It says "possible" not "OK."

YMMV.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It says "possible" not "OK."

YMMV.
Thanks. Of course, (Y) also says possible, not OK.

So has anyone ever been successful switching onto a p.s. flight into biz (C/D/J fare) from a LGA flight with A fare? I will try it and report back to everyone, but would be surprised if I am the first to try this. My guess is that I will have to up-fare. But again, I will let folks know what I find.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:32 pm

So has anyone ever been successful switching onto a p.s. flight into biz (C/D/J fare) from a LGA flight with A fare?
SDC LGA-JFK has been done. People have even gotten EWR-JFK. But anything that involves a change of airports is technically outside the SDC rules. So it's totally YMMV.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
So I thought I understood the rules for SDC, but after hitting more resistance than usual, I'm looking for a second opinion.

I booked a ticket which was routed SFO-LAX, overnight at LAX, LAX-HNL-GUM, overnight at GUM, and finally GUM-ICN. (This routing actually saved me quite a bit over the non-stops)

I wanted to break up the long segments, so when I arrived at the airport, I tried to do a SDC to change to the SFO-HNL non-stop with a forced overnight in HNL instead of LAX, however multiple agents insisted it was not allowed and would require a re-fare. In fact, one agent I spoke with was adamant that SDC did not apply because: 1, I had not started my trip, 2, it was >24 hours since I *booked* my ticket, and 3, I was trying to move to a non-stop from a 1-stop. The non-stop is more expensive I was told. My attempts to show her the rules on the United webpage were futile.

But back to my original itinerary, should SDC have been allowed in my case?
Old May 21, 2015, 5:49 pm

SDC is still allowed across a fare break (to the best of our knowledge, it's hard to know what's true when so little info is officially published and agents so regularlarly contradict each other)... however on the SHARES end it isn't as easy anymore. Since you were removing LAX (undoubtably a fare break) it would have required more extensive changes to the ticket (called re-faring, even if you aren't paying for the change).

I'm not a fan of calling every agent who gives up at the first sign of pushback form SHARES "lazy" (mostly because I believe it has more to do with the fear of bending the "rules" that has been set up under the new UA), but you will need to keep HUCA-ing until you get an agent willing to get the trip refared for you.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Plt HertzpresC Avisfirst
Thanks. Of course, (Y) also says possible, not OK.

So has anyone ever been successful switching onto a p.s. flight into biz (C/D/J fare) from a LGA flight with A fare? I will try it and report back to everyone, but would be surprised if I am the first to try this. My guess is that I will have to up-fare. But again, I will let folks know what I find.
Bought a cheap A fare last year for myself and a few family members and switched it from lga to jfk. First Agent didn't listen to me but the second worked it out. I was on the phone close to an hour but was worth the time in the end.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Are Award tickets (i.e. got through miles) able to SDC just like a cash ticket as per the rules on the wiki? I want to take advantage of a Saver ticket and then try to switch to an earlier flight at T-24. What fare class should I look for when checking for eligible flights to switch to?

Edit: On UA site is says: "Is there a fee for same-day changes to award tickets? ... Yes. However, there is no charge when making same-day changes to award tickets purchased with miles from a Premier Gold, Premier Platinum or Premier 1K member's account." Can I can infer from this statement that Award tickets are eligible.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by miasmal
Are Award tickets (i.e. got through miles) able to SDC just like a cash ticket as per the rules on the wiki? I want to take advantage of a Saver ticket and then try to switch to an earlier flight at T-24. What fare class should I look for when checking for eligible flights to switch to?

Edit: On UA site is says: "Is there a fee for same-day changes to award tickets? ... Yes. However, there is no charge when making same-day changes to award tickets purchased with miles from a Premier Gold, Premier Platinum or Premier 1K member's account." Can I can infer from this statement that Award tickets are eligible.
If you're Plat, it's irrelevant. Award changes are free at any time. You don't need SDC.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Bought a cheap A fare last year for myself and a few family members and switched it from lga to jfk. First Agent didn't listen to me but the second worked it out. I was on the phone close to an hour but was worth the time in the end.
Great! Were you able to get on a p.s. flight in Biz with your A fare? Also, was their anything you had to direct them towards to get it done, such as S*FAR/STANDBY? As Kacee mentioned, this is a YMMV/HUCA situation, so I was curious if there are any pointers you have after getting this done.

Thanks!!
Old May 25, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold
Botched PHL-DFW weekend trip (includes SDC opportunities)

Hi folks, wanted to share my weekend trip which includes some bona fide SDC and maybe not-so SDC opportunities.

I am UA Gold and I purchased a ticket with fare booking class A, original itinerary:
5/23: PHL-IAH-DFW
5/25: DFW-IAD-PHL (the first leg was A class, the second leg Y class since IAD-PHL is a single-class regional jet).

With thunderstorms in Texas this weekend, my 5/23 itinerary went as planned and surprisingly delay-free. But the storms pretty much botched my sightseeing plans, put me in a stay-at-hotel dismal mood, and I was worried about getting home. I decided to cut my trip short and just go home early.

So yesterday morning at 5/24, I called the Premier line and explained my concerns. It was T+28 hours or so before my 5/25 flight, and I don't think there were any weather advisories, yet the agent agreed to rebook me on a post-5pm itinerary that day, DFW-IAH-PHL at no charge. I don't think that change officially qualified under SDC, but the agent did it anyway at no cost to me!

But after that rebooking, I *DID* do an SDC with my United app into a flight leaving at 2.30pm, same DFW-IAH-PHL routing, instead of the later flight leaving after 5.

I took the DFW-IAH flight which actually went earlier than scheduled. In IAH, I was presented with a boatload of SDC opportunities (including my original agent-rebooked flight). One of them was particularly juicy: IAH-DEN the next morning, which appeared to be a repositioning flight because it was on a 777 aircraft with lie-flat seats! And then the DEN-PHL segment would get me more PQM (possibly more PQD too).

I debated exiting IAH and checking into a nearby airport hotel, resting up for the night and then taking that SDC! However, the weather forecast called for storms the next morning and I didn't want to chance any IRROPS, plus I wasn't feeling 100% and wanted to go home.

In the end, I stayed on my IAH-PHL (a little delayed), but at least I got home OK last night. I knew I passed up on some extra PQM, and a chance to enjoy (if only for two hours) a nice lie-flat seat.

I guess my point of this story is, you can ask agents nicely and they might be empowered to help you (maybe not even because of SDC). Always check your United app for SDC opportunities (several times, because availability of your booking class does change!). But if you don't have the energy to travel, you might have to turn down some SDC and think about your own well-being and do what's right for you at the moment or for the situation.

Happy travels!
Old May 25, 2015, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Goodtimes321
Well, my luck was not as good as yours. Tried 3 different agents, all said I cannot move from LGA to JFK without change fee. Escalated twice, and both times they said their managers told them the same. So SDC from LGA to JFK is very YMMV, as Kaycee mentioned.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Previously UA 1K, Delta Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Avis First, AA Gold
I seem to have discovered a website glitch today regarding SDC on UA codeshares with AC metal.

I had booked a reservation CVG-YYZ and YYZ-CVG, with UA codes and UA ticket numbers on AC metal. My return YYZ-CVG was scheduled for 5pm tomorrow, but I was interested in taking the 8:35AM flight (also on AC metal) instead. I went to the UA website to make the change, and all of the AC flight options within 24 hours were listed as codeshares with a $7 fare difference and no change fee.

I clicked on the change link, went through the process, and after clicking continue on the payment page, I got an error message saying to call. I called up to try to change and discovered that, in fact, my itinerary had been changed to the 8:35 AM flight. But it was not ticketed, because they were still awaiting the $200 change fee. So had I not called up (the error message simply said that the change did not go through, not YOU MUST CALL RIGHT NOW), I would have had an unticketed segment on the 8:35 flight, and no ticket at all on my original flight!

The agents I spoke to said that there is no way to do this without a change fee (at least not on this particular ticket), and that if I try to do the change online again, I will once again be left ticketless.

I know that it thinks it's a SDC because when I looked at 8:33 PM on the 28th, the 8:35 PM flight on the 29th still had the change fee listed. But when I looked at 8:37 PM, the change fee was no longer listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.