FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1642134-2015-upsell-offers-business-first-ufc-pcu-questions-discussion-paid-upgrades.html)

bmwe92fan Feb 15, 2015 10:59 am

Feb 15, 2015
FRA-ORD
T-24
J - F
$909
Declined

Jilani Feb 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Feb 15, 2015
LAX-BOS
1K, originally on a K fare. OLCI on the app offered me $119 to upgrade to F. Seemed really cheap - do others agree? App had an option to get more info about the upgrade, which told me there was only 1 seat left in F and 13 people eligible for a CPU. Figured it was worth it.
Also, I know these fees don't count toward PQDs, but my reservation now says I am booked in P class. Will I get a 50% PQM bonus for this segment?

1kBill Feb 15, 2015 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jilani (Post 24355955)
Feb 15, 2015
LAX-BOS
1K, originally on a K fare. OLCI on the app offered me $119 to upgrade to F. Seemed really cheap - do others agree? App had an option to get more info about the upgrade, which told me there was only 1 seat left in F and 13 people eligible for a CPU. Figured it was worth it.
Also, I know these fees don't count toward PQDs, but my reservation now says I am booked in P class. Will I get a 50% PQM bonus for this segment?

$119 on a transcon? I'd be all over that like a cheap suit!

NoLaGent Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Feb 15, 2015
LAX-BOS

You probably will get it if booked into P, altho technically I don't think you're supposed to...

It's usually only when upgraded in advance, not within t-24 that the bonus seems to stick, but others can comment more. Please report back tho, I'd be curious to hear.

NoLaGent Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm

and yes, $119 for a t-con is an exceptional value!

Jilani Feb 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent (Post 24356303)
and yes, $119 for a t-con is an exceptional value!

Thanks for confirming my instincts that this was a great offer - I still can't believe it! By way of (perhaps not quite apples-to-apples) comparison, I recently booked an itinerary for June that includes a BOS-LAX segment, again on a K fare. The price offered to upgrade that segment at booking was $279.

I will report back as to whether I got bonus PQMs for this; either way, I'm satisfied that I did the right thing by taking the offer.

anandrag Feb 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Upgraded to Biz using miles on EWR-NRT-SIN-HKG-EWR

Now offered upgrade from J->F for just NRT-SIN for $1789...
No thanks!

Kacee Feb 15, 2015 6:20 pm

SFO-MEX
1K on a K fare
$119 at check-in
Yup, snagged the last F seat

Upgrade had been pegged at $471 since purchase, except yesterday, when it climbed to $675.

320 was booked 11/12 at check-in (and had been for at least a week). No way I was scoring that CPU, so I jumped on the $119 buy-up before anyone else could. Booked into P. Name does not show on the upgraded list.

Yes, you should.

wco81 Feb 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Where do they show your this offer?

They were showing $471 cash upgrade on united.com and then at the airport, the much cheaper buy-up shows up on the kiosk?

Do they still call it the same thing, "upgrade" or whatever the term they used?

ifly153 Feb 15, 2015 8:56 pm

IAH-LAX, $119, 1K, Yes, used mobile app, K fare.

I was #8 on WL 1hour before boarding, w/ the one seat remaining.

krazykanuck Feb 15, 2015 9:16 pm

This thread reinforces my friend's advice to not chase status and just earmark the money I'd have spend on on flights to buying TOD offers as I want.

Kacee Feb 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 24357761)
Where do they show your this offer?

They were showing $471 cash upgrade on united.com and then at the airport, the much cheaper buy-up shows up on the kiosk?

Do they still call it the same thing, "upgrade" or whatever the term they used?

check-in on the app

It's pretty hard to miss, it says "Upgrade this Flight."

nookanaya Feb 15, 2015 10:41 pm

PDX-EWR
Memorial day weekend
$119 at booking, took it

One-way econ is $209 in L, one-way P is $488. So that's a decent discount off of list price.

greg99 Feb 17, 2015 1:23 am

SFO-IAH
$299

Wound up #1 on WL.

I think it's time to give up on this ship. I've got my lifetime (for now) Gold. Not really seeing any incremental benefit from anything beyond Gold.

Greg

chinatraderjmr Feb 17, 2015 4:38 am

Does UA really keep such close tabs on some of us that it knows who to give the offers to & who not to? I NEVER get these buy up from J to F offers any longer except to Full F fares. Not when I purchase the ticket, not during OLCI & not even at the kiosk. Yes, I get an offer but as stated its always $3-6,000 from C-F. A supervisor I know in LA tried looking into it for me as even he found it strange. His only answer after trying to find an offer was that UA knows I pay for full F on *A carriers (UA codeshares operated by LH/LX) so they figure if I want it on UA I'll pay for it. Does that make sense?? (However, I will admit I've always gotten the C-F upgrade but it costs me a GPU each time)

** Does UA realize that an A fare on LH/LX from India/Mid East is usually cheaper then a UA C fare........maybe that's why I'll pay for it on partners...it's cheaper :rolleyes::rolleyes: