Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - International GlobalFirst, BusinessFirst, & Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Unfortunately it has been like this a while (one bottle per pax) and I agree it is absurd and not very hygienic at all....
If you're planning on drinking water during the flight, go to one of the airport stores and fork over $5 for a liter of Dasani otherwise UA is going to make you thirsty. GF from LHR to IAD yesterday was a hassle to keep getting water and that was with only 6 paying pax on the route (2 air marshals up front with us). If I was in biz I would have bought those 2 bottles for 2 gbp en route to the gate.

Forgot to add, why has the wine diversity plummeted in recent months? 2 bottles of red, 2 bottles of white and 1 champagne was the only choice. I recall a flight a year ago where there were 7 or 8 bottles of red alone.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 17, 2015 at 4:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by sajix2
I recall a flight a year ago where there were 7 or 8 bottles of red alone.
On United? I have to doubt that.

Nowadays they can't even list the wines in the menu, I think they're embarrassed by their "premium" cabin offerings. Flyer Friendly.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by sajix2
Forgot to add, why has the wine diversity plummeted in recent months? 2 bottles of red, 2 bottles of white and 1 champagne was the only choice. I recall a flight a year ago where there were 7 or 8 bottles of red alone.
The lists (remember them?) may have had 7 or 8 wines on them, but UA never carried all of them, and many times, none of those listed.

I have since decided that because UA has serious problems with running its main operations properly, they have just given up even thinking about trying to manage the wine inventories. And then there are the savings.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1kBill
The lists (remember them?) may have had 7 or 8 wines on them, but UA never carried all of them, and many times, none of those listed.
I actually remember the days when there was a wine list and it matched the wines carried on board.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
IAH->SCL Dinner

We are travelling on this flight this quarter. It leaves at 21:55 and says its Dinner. Are they actually going to serve a full dinner service at this time? Any one have any idea what this might entail? Coming back via EZE which departs at 22:00 and it also says full dinner service.

TIA
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Will be flying HKG-SFO in BF next month and this is my first trip overseas after becoming 'pescatarian'. I usually get the Japanese meal anyway when flying to/from NRT because it's fish/seafood, but from HKG, I imagine there will be a standard menu.

I've never ordered a special meal upfront before and I am wondering if there is a benefit to ordering a seafood meal vs taking the fish option from the menu - what is the seafood meal like in BF?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drowelf
We are travelling on this flight this quarter. It leaves at 21:55 and says its Dinner. Are they actually going to serve a full dinner service at this time? Any one have any idea what this might entail? Coming back via EZE which departs at 22:00 and it also says full dinner service.

TIA
Haven't flown this route, but flew my latest ever intl departure in November (22:00), and they did indeed serve the full meal in BF.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
Haven't flown this route, but flew my latest ever intl departure in November (22:00), and they did indeed serve the full meal in BF.
I fly the IAD-DUB route (22:20 departure) and it is a full dinner service.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by tyroner
I fly the IAD-DUB route (22:20 departure) and it is a full dinner service.
On late-leaving (such as 11pm) eastbound TATLs, pmCO used to do a 'supper' service (a more condensed version of the BF meal). Did this practice continue on after the merger? Also, did UA offer a 'supper' service as well on their late-night eastbound TATLs?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by halls120
I actually remember the days when there was a wine list and it matched the wines carried on board.
You are correct. I should have said that it is in the last 2 years or so that UA gave up trying to manage the on board wine inventory.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Days which are still with us on most other airlines.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Days which are still with us on most other airlines.
Correct!

Just got off Turkish Airlines's inter-continental business class cabin. A long wine list with actual wines in the cabin to serve.^

off the topic: TK's catering is simply amazing. There is just so much high quality food. It may surpass SQ in my book now.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:17 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Wayside
Isn't AMS-IAH UA59 and operated with a pmCO 772? If that's the case wouldn't it be a pmCO inflight crew?
APOLOGIES - these were flights to IAD (pmUA 763), not IAH - correcting my post right now...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
It's literally a space issue. The 3 cabin pmUA planes don't have enough room in the Business Class galley to handle the more elaborate service for that many people. First class takes up the bigger front galley. At least they made the main courses bigger than they used to be.
Ahhh - this explains... Still the service standard differences between pmCO and pmUA are a bit shocking...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
On late-leaving (such as 11pm) eastbound TATLs, pmCO used to do a 'supper' service (a more condensed version of the BF meal). Did this practice continue on after the merger? Also, did UA offer a 'supper' service as well on their late-night eastbound TATLs?
Well my 22:20 TATL had the full BF dinner service - no sign or offer of supper. 2 reds on board. Food was actually pretty OK.

Interestingly the early BF flight on the way back had brunch or Lunch (really a dinner service).

As for the wine - on the SFO-ICN 747 earlier in the year in GF the FA actually did a wine tasting for me! So there were at least 5 different bottles on red on that flight. Other posts have mentioned this but the winelist is now gone and is replaced with a vague section on things they might have. I am perplexed as to why it is not possible to match the menu to the wines on board given other airlines can manage it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.