FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Global Traveler names United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1633120-global-traveler-names-united-airlines-its-2014-airline-year.html)

spin88 Dec 1, 2014 2:48 pm

Global Traveler names United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year

... surprised no one has posted it. Brought to you by United's good friends at Global [Rent this space] Traveler [pay for promo here] Magazine.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...213000591.html

;)

and P.S. They find O'Hare to be the "Best Airport in North America" :)

UrbaneGent Dec 1, 2014 3:00 pm

What press release states:

CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced that Global Traveler has named United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year. A panel of Global Traveler Advisory Board members and employees chose United based on outside research, experiences traveling with the airline and information provided by the individual airlines that were nominated.

"Global Travel Advisory Board members" = C-suite on Wacker Drive.

"Employees" = UA, er, Chase is their biggest advertiser.

Press release:

Global Traveler also announced today that its readers named United the Best Trans-Pacific Airline and, for the 11th straight year, named MileagePlus the Best Frequent-Flyer Program. MileagePlus also won for Best Frequent-Flyer Bonus Program.

"Best Trans-Pacific Airline" - Really? Not Cathay, Singapore, on and on....

I subscribe to GT and actually quite surprised to read this...it's as if the marketing teams at GT and UA thought this up.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 1, 2014 3:29 pm

I couldn't find original article. Are you sure the awards weren't for tops in the category of Chicago-based domestic airlines that have merged with Continental and have current CEOs w/ initials of JS? Within that category, UA is definitely at the top. And bottom.

fjfv19 Dec 1, 2014 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 23925453)
... surprised no one has posted it. Brought to you by United's good friends at Global [Rent this space] Traveler [pay for promo here] Magazine.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...213000591.html

;)

and P.S. They find O'Hare to be the "Best Airport in North America" :)

Global Traveler goes on to laud Laguardia for its "modern, contemporary take on airport design" and claims Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson is "compact, easy to navigate and intuitive for even the most novice of travelers." :D

Kacee Dec 1, 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by fjfv19 (Post 23925829)
Global Traveler goes on to laud Laguardia for its "modern, contemporary take on airport design" and claims Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson is "compact, easy to navigate and intuitive for even the most novice of travelers." :D

I think this must have been done by The Onion.

Originally Posted by entropy (Post 23925873)
United certainly is #1 at some things: #1 consumer complaints, #1 most delayed flights of any major, #1 in the 'highest repeated taco-bell (or lower class) first class menu items'.

Taco Bell just called. They want an apology.

luckypierre Dec 1, 2014 3:55 pm

In Bizarro World, everything is turned upside down, including travel awards.

Halo117 Dec 1, 2014 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent (Post 23925518)
What press release states:

CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced that Global Traveler has named United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year. A panel of Global Traveler Advisory Board members and employees chose United based on outside research, experiences traveling with the airline and information provided by the individual airlines that were nominated.

Press release:

Global Traveler also announced today that its readers named United the Best Trans-Pacific Airline and, for the 11th straight year, named MileagePlus the Best Frequent-Flyer Program. MileagePlus also won for Best Frequent-Flyer Bonus Program.

You forgot to read the small print.
Based on surveys amongst airlines with headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and a tenant of Willis Tower :D

entropy Dec 1, 2014 3:59 pm

United certainly is #1 at some things: #1 consumer complaints, #1 most delayed flights of any major, #1 in the 'highest repeated taco-bell (or lower class) first class menu items'.

kale73 Dec 1, 2014 4:01 pm

April Fool's story five months early?

nikolastojsin Dec 1, 2014 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 23925691)
I couldn't find original article. Are you sure the awards weren't for tops in the category of Chicago-based domestic airlines that have merged with Continental and have current CEOs w/ initials of JS? Within that category, UA is definitely at the top. And bottom.

Here is the article:
http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/2014-gt-tested-awards/

Best part, UA winning that is not even the funniest winner. (There are LOTS of them.)

Boeing 787 as the best aircraft type is my favorite, but best TATL airline being SN is probably the most hilarious! Oh, and UA is fourth-best airline in the world. Seriously :rolleyes: - this is their list of top ten airlines in the world:

Best Overall Airline in the World
1. Etihad Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Delta Air Lines
4. United Airlines
5. Asiana Airlines
6. Emirates
7. British Airways
8. Air Canada
9. Lufthansa
10. Swiss International Air Lines

Whatever those guys were smoking, I want some!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Dec 1, 2014 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin (Post 23925901)
..but best TATL airline being SN is probably the most hilarious!...

Brussel's new business class is pretty darn nice...

entropy Dec 1, 2014 4:10 pm

best airline alliance... a half-rate 'alliance' is #2?

oneworld
Etihad/airberlin/Aer Lingus/Air Seychelles
SkyTeam
Star Alliance
Emirates/Qantas

radiowell Dec 1, 2014 4:13 pm

There's a UC at LAX T4?

Best Individual Domestic Lounge
  1. Delta Air Lines Sky Club, ATL Concourse C
  2. American Airlines Admirals Club, LAX Terminal 4
  3. United Airlines United Club, LAX Terminal 4
  4. Virgin Atlantic Airways Clubhouse, JFK Terminal 4
  5. Alaska Airlines Board Room, SEA
  6. Delta Air Lines Sky Club, JFK
  7. American Express Centurion Lounge, DFW
  8. United Airlines Global First, SFO

:confused:

It's better be great, since it's supposed to be even better than GFL at SFO!

;)

rankourabu Dec 1, 2014 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin (Post 23925901)
Best Overall Airline in the World
1. Etihad Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Delta Air Lines
4. United Airlines
5. Asiana Airlines
6. Emirates
7. British Airways
8. Air Canada
9. Lufthansa
10. Swiss International Air Lines

Whatever those guys were smoking, I want some!

uh oh, someone at AA forgot to pay their bribe!

nikolastojsin Dec 1, 2014 4:23 pm

Oh, and these two are the awards that REALLY matter:

Best Credit Card
1. United MileagePlus Club Card from Chase

Best Credit Card Rewards Program
1. United MileagePlus Club Card from Chase

Thanks, spin88 - I really needed a laugh today.;)