Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Traveler names United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year

Global Traveler names United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year

Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,526
Global Traveler names United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year

... surprised no one has posted it. Brought to you by United's good friends at Global [Rent this space] Traveler [pay for promo here] Magazine.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...213000591.html



and P.S. They find O'Hare to be the "Best Airport in North America"

Last edited by spin88; Dec 1, 2014 at 2:55 pm
spin88 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:00 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago USA
Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Posts: 1,762
What press release states:

CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced that Global Traveler has named United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year. A panel of Global Traveler Advisory Board members and employees chose United based on outside research, experiences traveling with the airline and information provided by the individual airlines that were nominated.

"Global Travel Advisory Board members" = C-suite on Wacker Drive.

"Employees" = UA, er, Chase is their biggest advertiser.

Press release:

Global Traveler also announced today that its readers named United the Best Trans-Pacific Airline and, for the 11th straight year, named MileagePlus the Best Frequent-Flyer Program. MileagePlus also won for Best Frequent-Flyer Bonus Program.

"Best Trans-Pacific Airline" - Really? Not Cathay, Singapore, on and on....

I subscribe to GT and actually quite surprised to read this...it's as if the marketing teams at GT and UA thought this up.
UrbaneGent is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:29 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,066
I couldn't find original article. Are you sure the awards weren't for tops in the category of Chicago-based domestic airlines that have merged with Continental and have current CEOs w/ initials of JS? Within that category, UA is definitely at the top. And bottom.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PBI / FLL / YUL
Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Posts: 1,983
Originally Posted by spin88
... surprised no one has posted it. Brought to you by United's good friends at Global [Rent this space] Traveler [pay for promo here] Magazine.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...213000591.html



and P.S. They find O'Hare to be the "Best Airport in North America"
Global Traveler goes on to laud Laguardia for its "modern, contemporary take on airport design" and claims Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson is "compact, easy to navigate and intuitive for even the most novice of travelers."
fjfv19 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:55 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,670
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Global Traveler goes on to laud Laguardia for its "modern, contemporary take on airport design" and claims Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson is "compact, easy to navigate and intuitive for even the most novice of travelers."
I think this must have been done by The Onion.

Originally Posted by entropy
United certainly is #1 at some things: #1 consumer complaints, #1 most delayed flights of any major, #1 in the 'highest repeated taco-bell (or lower class) first class menu items'.
Taco Bell just called. They want an apology.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 1, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Kacee is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:55 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: san antonio, texas
Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Posts: 1,586
In Bizarro World, everything is turned upside down, including travel awards.
luckypierre is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:58 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tx
Programs: AA, UA, WN
Posts: 812
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
What press release states:

CHICAGO, Dec. 1, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced that Global Traveler has named United Airlines its 2014 Airline of the Year. A panel of Global Traveler Advisory Board members and employees chose United based on outside research, experiences traveling with the airline and information provided by the individual airlines that were nominated.

Press release:

Global Traveler also announced today that its readers named United the Best Trans-Pacific Airline and, for the 11th straight year, named MileagePlus the Best Frequent-Flyer Program. MileagePlus also won for Best Frequent-Flyer Bonus Program.
You forgot to read the small print.
Based on surveys amongst airlines with headquarters in Chicago, Illinois and a tenant of Willis Tower
Halo117 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:59 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,763
United certainly is #1 at some things: #1 consumer complaints, #1 most delayed flights of any major, #1 in the 'highest repeated taco-bell (or lower class) first class menu items'.
entropy is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:01 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19,550
April Fool's story five months early?
kale73 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:04 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Posts: 266
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I couldn't find original article. Are you sure the awards weren't for tops in the category of Chicago-based domestic airlines that have merged with Continental and have current CEOs w/ initials of JS? Within that category, UA is definitely at the top. And bottom.
Here is the article:
http://www.globaltravelerusa.com/2014-gt-tested-awards/

Best part, UA winning that is not even the funniest winner. (There are LOTS of them.)

Boeing 787 as the best aircraft type is my favorite, but best TATL airline being SN is probably the most hilarious! Oh, and UA is fourth-best airline in the world. Seriously - this is their list of top ten airlines in the world:

Best Overall Airline in the World
1. Etihad Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Delta Air Lines
4. United Airlines
5. Asiana Airlines
6. Emirates
7. British Airways
8. Air Canada
9. Lufthansa
10. Swiss International Air Lines

Whatever those guys were smoking, I want some!

Last edited by nikolastojsin; Dec 1, 2014 at 4:08 pm Reason: adding top ten world airlines
nikolastojsin is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:08 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Honolulu Harbor
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 15,066
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
..but best TATL airline being SN is probably the most hilarious!...
Brussel's new business class is pretty darn nice...
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:10 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,763
best airline alliance... a half-rate 'alliance' is #2?
oneworld
Etihad/airberlin/Aer Lingus/Air Seychelles
SkyTeam
Star Alliance
Emirates/Qantas
entropy is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:13 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 1,034
There's a UC at LAX T4?

Best Individual Domestic Lounge
  1. Delta Air Lines Sky Club, ATL Concourse C
  2. American Airlines Admirals Club, LAX Terminal 4
  3. United Airlines United Club, LAX Terminal 4
  4. Virgin Atlantic Airways Clubhouse, JFK Terminal 4
  5. Alaska Airlines Board Room, SEA
  6. Delta Air Lines Sky Club, JFK
  7. American Express Centurion Lounge, DFW
  8. United Airlines Global First, SFO


It's better be great, since it's supposed to be even better than GFL at SFO!


Last edited by radiowell; Dec 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm
radiowell is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:14 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Posts: 23,358
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
Best Overall Airline in the World
1. Etihad Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Delta Air Lines
4. United Airlines
5. Asiana Airlines
6. Emirates
7. British Airways
8. Air Canada
9. Lufthansa
10. Swiss International Air Lines

Whatever those guys were smoking, I want some!
uh oh, someone at AA forgot to pay their bribe!
rankourabu is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:23 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NYC
Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Posts: 266
Oh, and these two are the awards that REALLY matter:

Best Credit Card
1. United MileagePlus Club Card from Chase
...

Best Credit Card Rewards Program
1. United MileagePlus Club Card from Chase
...

Thanks, spin88 - I really needed a laugh today.
nikolastojsin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.