Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta ends stopovers on award tkts. eff. 1 Jan. 15. WHEN will UA follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Stopovers will no longer be permitted for Award Travel booked on or after January 1, 2015.
For Award Travel ticketed on or after January 1, 2015, all open jaw itineraries will be priced based on One-way Award Travel pricing rules.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
that's the ONE aspect that UA still retains value and hasn't blindly copied DL

UA has one-way awards, partner F, open jaw, stopovers, last minute changes/cancellation, only 2-tier pricing .... before accounting for award availability

The only thing that DL will have is one-way awards.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
The next DL/UA frequent-flyer program match to watch out for is "how will partner flights earn miles in 2015?".

Delta hasn't said yet ( http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ir-france.html , "The chart below is effective for travel through December 31, 2014. Details about mileage earn for travel beginning January 1, 2015 will be available later this year." ). I assume they have the announcement ready to go but are just playing "chicken" with UA to see if United will ever publish something of their own.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". But when does imitation become collusion?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Misleading thread title. DL changed its routing rules. While this may affect value of miles for some pax, it is not a "devaluation" in the sense that word is commonly used. Further it was accompanied by a significant enhancement, namely DL will allow one-way redemptions for the first time.

There have always been significant differences between and among the various mileage plan award routing rules. DL has historically not allowed one-way tickets, for example. I would not expect UA to blindly follow DL on the details of award routing.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not expect UA to blindly follow DL on the details of award routing.
One of my friends recently flew on DL for business as a kettle.

He got cookies in coach class. With no status.

What do mid-tier elites get on UA? Nothing.

So far, UA has followed DL on everything except enhancements to passenger service, so I wouldn't be surprised at more devaluations of MileagePlus and Premier benefits next year.

The only good thing for the mid-tier elite is that Smisek and the rest of the UA management are getting greedy and starting to make changes too fast - witness the PQD change this year followed by 20% PQD bumps for 2016. If Smisek and company had made changes to the program more slowly, idiots like me would actually try to catch up to them and spend more money. (I did this year but the recent 20% PQD bump announcement stopped me from purchasing a 20CPM dollar run flight next month.)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by vandrei
One of my friends recently flew on DL for business as a kettle.

He got cookies in coach class. With no status.

What do mid-tier elites get on UA? Nothing.....
Uh, a mid-tier elite gets all sorts of things on UA. I am certain the answer is not "nothing".

For starters they get access to premium economy for free. They also get a chance to be upgraded to first class. They also get early boarding, priority baggage handling, etc. etc.
But if the comparison is about getting handed cookies in coach, then yep, you are right, no cookies. WN gives peanuts too, but that is not a reason for someone to want to fly them.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
Uh, a mid-tier elite gets all sorts of things on UA. I am certain the answer is not "nothing".

For starters they get access to premium economy for free. They also get a chance to be upgraded to first class. They also get early boarding, priority baggage handling, etc. etc.
But if the comparison is about getting handed cookies in coach, then yep, you are right, no cookies. WN gives peanuts too, but that is not a reason for someone to want to fly them.
i don't think that's true. i used to fly sjc/lax as a frequent route. i switched from AA to UA because at the time, UA gave a bischoff cookie on UX and AA gave nothing.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by vandrei
...He got cookies in coach class. With no status...
I'm going to move to Delta's less convenient (for me) network and schedule so I can get some crummy commercially-manufactured cookies in coach and it's industry-leading SkyRuble program.

Ruble's giving the Argentine peso a run for it's money...
...and don't call me Shirley.
Roger.
Over.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 18, 2014 at 4:39 pm
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
i don't think that's true. i used to fly sjc/lax as a frequent route. i switched from AA to UA because at the time, UA gave a bischoff cookie on UX and AA gave nothing.
I remember that cookie. But my point was not than United does or does not offer a cookie, but that the earlier post said that mid-tier elites got "nothing". The use of "nothing" was what I said was not accurate or defendable. But it is correct that United nor UX no longer offers a cookie in coach. In fact, often the only free food item I get in first class on short flights is a cookie (or a scone, I guess). But even in coach, UA still provides things to passengers. And for Mid-tier elites, they get benefits that non-elites do not get at all.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
God, please don't let Sizemeck think that he can buy us off with stale cookies.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1k
If Delta jumped off a cliff, would United do it too?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA ended free domestic award stopovers ~5 years ago when it introduced one-way/half price award tickets. It eliminated the remaining/limited 'North American gateway' stopover on intercontinental tickets in April '14. Delta's rules that bring in one-way awards look to follow AA pretty closely.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA ended free domestic award stopovers ~5 years ago when it introduced one-way/half price award tickets. It eliminated the remaining/limited 'North American gateway' stopover on intercontinental tickets in April '14. Delta's rules that bring in one-way awards look to follow AA pretty closely.
Which is why UA will copy
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
...and don't call me Shirley.
Roger.
Over.
Huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.