Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bait & Switch? Online upgrade offers billed at higher price / not correctly booked!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bait & Switch? Online upgrade offers billed at higher price / not correctly booked!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Baze
I think you need to read the text part of the post again. Everything said $10 until they got the receipt and the pending charge changed from $10 to $169 when actually charged. They said the final screen that shows how much you will be charged said $10. Clearly a problem.
Mental note to always screen shot any UA checkouts!
Clearly, it's absolutely unacceptable for any company (not just UA) to charge you any other amount that what you agree to on the checkout page.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
How many people that don't have a certain amount of travel savvy never contest these charges?
most people probably don't review their CC statements closely enough to even catch the overcharge in the first place.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by dank0014
Heard back from DOT / Chase, and things were positive on that end.

Heard from 1K today....have to love their response....customers' responsibility to notify us prior to making purchase if they notice a technology related error.

I guess my lesson today is check with UA to make sure any purchase going forward is not an "error" even when the price looks legit and that 1K actually got back to me in a reasonable amount of time!
I win! Chase settled my case with UA (quickly for that matter) and heard back from UA today that they have reversed the charge and apologize for the mix-up.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:23 pm
Suspended

I win! Chase settled my case with UA (quickly for that matter) and heard back from UA today that they have reversed the charge and apologize for the mix-up.
Congratulations! I appreciate whenever the little guy prevails against the Goliath.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did UA honor the upgrade purchase at the lower price?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did UA honor the upgrade purchase at the lower price?
To an extent, yes, but that was simply because I already took the flight.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
International Buy-Up Bait and Switch

I purchased tickets for me and my wife EWR->TLV->EWR in June.
United ticket stock.
EWR->TLV on Swiss via ZRH in business.
Return on UA TLV->EWR in coach.

Last week I checked the reservation and was offered to upgrade the retun to Business for $674 a person.
I accepted the offer but later noticed that I was charged $1,600 per person for the upgrade.
Two separate United Web reservations agents admitted that I was quoted $694 but refuse to honor the quote "since it did not account for the ticket involving another airline"

How can I force UA to honor the quote?

Thanks for the advice
DLP
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
I purchased tickets for me and my wife EWR->TLV->EWR in June.
United ticket stock.
EWR->TLV on Swiss via ZRH in business.
Return on UA TLV->EWR in coach.

Last week I checked the reservation and was offered to upgrade the retun to Business for $674 a person.
I accepted the offer but later noticed that I was charged $1,600 per person for the upgrade.
Two separate United Web reservations agents admitted that I was quoted $694 but refuse to honor the quote "since it did not account for the ticket involving another airline"

Thanks for the advice
DLP
file a dot complaint.

http://www.dot.gov/airconsumer/air-t...t-comment-form
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yea, DOT complaint should eventually get you the upgrade at the offered price.

Last edited by J.Edward; Apr 24, 2015 at 3:34 pm Reason: Clean up post merge
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DLPhoenix

And only two weeks since the last bait and switch report.

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
Originally Posted by mduell
Yea, DOT complaint should eventually get you the upgrade at the offered price.
Yup. Check out this thread. DOT complaint has consistently resulted in justice being done.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:19 pm

Thanks everybody for the advise.
While typing the DOT complaint I tried again, was redirected to a customer service number (877)624-2660. The person that answered the phone said she could not help. I asked her to confirm the details in the DOT form and she escalated the call to a service director. He reviewed the resevation history and:
1) Revealed that the amount that was billed (and approved for credit card charge) was $674 per person. In other words I was a victim of credit card fraud and not Bait and Switch.
2) Honored the original quote and credited my credit card for the difference.

Conclusion:
1) I managed to get UA to honor the quote.
2) All the agents I spoke with knew their job, and all but one were very professional in their attitude even if they couldn't help.
3) The mention of a DOT record was enough to change the response - Kudos to the government for having my back.

DLP
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I hope you still filed the DOT complaint.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
I hope you still filed the DOT complaint.
Of course, need to help the next victiom
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I truly do not understand how they can consistently and blatantly get away with this without the customer having to resort to filing DOT complaints. Glad you got it all sorted.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I truly do not understand how they can consistently and blatantly get away with this without the customer having to resort to filing DOT complaints. Glad you got it all sorted.
They don't make it a priority - and thus it shows up in metrics like AQR and the like

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.