Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
She was not too rude - just telling her feelings until they started calling her a ...... Who cares if he was an elite. United should have followed their rules and made them buy the extra seat
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Zurick
She was not too rude - just telling her feelings until they started calling her a ...... Who cares if he was an elite. United should have followed their rules and made them buy the extra seat
I agree. She may not have been fake polite and nice, but she was totally justified in being annoyed. I would be too. And to boot her off the flight was adding insult to injury.
tryathlete likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
Who had antisocial behavior? The middle pax, the POS or all three?
All three.

Rock meets Hard Place.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA MM
The middle pax flipped out but look at the size of the two pax traveling together, who knew full well what they were doing by taking window and aisle. Wow, that's a disaster waiting to happen for anyone who was assigned the middle seat. While I don't condone the woman who got booted off the plane, that's not right. Those pax should not be flying in back without the extra seat. And by sharing the middle, they don't even need to buy two. I'm not really interested in what happened after that.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Airline seats on the 737 haven't changed width since it was introduced. Pitch, sure, but an extra inch or two of legroom don't make that much difference in the available space at the shoulders or waist.
This goes back to the 707 where about the same cabin and seat width was set in the mid or early 1950s, allegedly based on the body frame os US soldiers who were probably born in the Great Depression.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If it's "my space" then the rotund passenger should not encroach in it. The rotund passenger should be the one buying First or two seats in Economy.
The gate agents and flight crew have a duty to make sure no passenger is subjected to an unwanted touching. If you cannot fit within your seat, then buy two seats or first class. If you buy a seat that should be your space.

I blame the gate agent and flight crew. I would have politely documented the situation and walked off the aircraft.

Last edited by BF263533; Jan 31, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmc66
As most are these days.

I was mildly on the side of the POS'ers until I saw their full pictures in one of the news articles. I don't know that the woman is oversize, I would guess not. But the gentleman is easily 375-400 lbs, and could have been easily evaluated at the gate for his non-compliant size. .
At least the woman PoS could have offered her aisle seat and move to the middle seat .....
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
At least the woman PoS could have offered her aisle seat and move to the middle seat .....
(aisle was taken by a man)
The woman taking the video mightn't consider herself a PoS, and thus not offer anything.

It would be interesting to know what exactly happened before the video started. Something tells me, this whole situation was triggered by something that happened off-camera beforehand.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jayer
Really could stop right there. The problem being "enforcement" never happens. By pretty much anybody except apparently Southwest.

So far as I can tell, and I'll admit living in DFW United is not my most probable airline so maybe I missed it, the airline has said nothing. Which might be better than some breathy PR quote and a chorus of corporate happy songs, but they are passing on a really good, even obligatory, chance to clarify the issue. Either enforce, or ignore by plan and get a handle early on seats to be blocked.
UA removed the middle-seat passenger from the flight. They are not going to use this as an example of they should have made the other passengers buy a seat.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:54 am

Tort of Battery

At common law, battery is the tort of intentionally and voluntarily bringing about an unconsented harmful or offensive contact with a person or to something closely associated with them. Unlike assault, in which the fear of imminent contact may support a civil claim, battery involves an actual contact.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: life ritz platinum, SA hon circle, Eastern Executive Traveler, Delta Flying Colonel, AA Admiral VIP
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Not only that but he raised the "Im black" for everbody to notice when he started calling her a ...... The FA had the right to kick her off if she felt she was causing a problem (it is only in her judgement) but she should kicked the two big guys of too
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Airline seats on the 737 haven't changed width since it was introduced. Pitch, sure, but an extra inch or two of legroom don't make that much difference in the available space at the shoulders or waist.
Load factors have though -- when your LF is around 70% you're pretty much only in a middle seat when your row is your traveling party. At 90+% that's very different.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
LOL I love this idea.
what a great prank you could pull by building a “people sizer” and putting it at a busy gate.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:14 pm

Heart Attack Grill Scale

There is a large scale outside of the Heart Attack Grill on Freemont Street.

But probably not a good idea at the airport gate.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I hope people realize that > 30% of passengers won't pass the can-you-stay-within-your-seat test. That's a consequence not only of our poor dietary habits, but also shrinking seats.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:48 am Reason: removed OMNI content
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I hope people realize that > 30% of passengers won't pass the can-you-stay-within-your-seat test. That's a consequence not only of our poor dietary habits, but also shrinking seats.
The seat width on a mainline narrowbody has been more or less the same since 1958, except for the rare 5-across configurations. In terms of fitting into the seat width, it's pax size that has changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.