Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
As stated above, it depends on which model aircraft. Your comment about the "single seat" side suggests you MAY be referring to the EMB-120 turbo-prop. If that is the case, be aware that the single-seat, "A" side has immovable armrests and is very tight. Most "B" seats, on the other hand, have a movable armrest on the aisle side and can be a bit more comfortable for large passengers. I am not as large as your friend but have found that rotating that rest up and out of the way makes it easier to leave the center rest down by allowing me to slide over an inch or two, slightly into the aisle. To get that armrest to move, you reach under it at the hinge point, where you will find the release catch switch. Holding that in allows the armrest to rotate up.
All the regional jets and turbo props are 1 seat on one side and 2 seats on the other. There may be an exception for a model I haven't been on yet but just because it is 1-2 does not mean it is the EMB120.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
The E145 single seat side, the window-side armrest also goes up (at least on all the E145s I've been on). So there is a little extra room for the times the aisle armrest needs to be down. My sister is 5'4" and quite heavy and she had no issues on the A side, seat width-wise or shoulder-wise. I am 5'8" and on the A side shoulder width okay. Now, on the C seat, and on the window seats in CRJ200 shoulders do feel squished. YMMV
Old May 29, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

FA too wide for seat

On united express I was seated next to a deadheading FA from Mesa airlines. She was too wide to fit in her seat.
I read on here passengers have the right to ask that the passenger too big for the seat be moved

What would have happened in this case ?
Old May 29, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I do wonder if you'd end up on some sort of blacklist if you had tried.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2015 at 6:50 pm Reason: OT comment removed
Old May 29, 2015, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Policy is stated in Customers requiring extra seating
Old May 29, 2015, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was she a customer though ?
Old May 29, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What the heck does this mean?

"What happens if I've purchased an extra seat, but another passenger sits there?

A: In that event, you must be an active participant in preserving your extra seat. You will be provided boarding passes for both seats. If necessary, you can ask a crew member for assistance."

An active participant in preserving your extra seat?? Wut?
Old May 29, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by physioprof

"What happens if I've purchased an extra seat, but another passenger sits there?

A: In that event, you must be an active participant in preserving your extra seat. You will be provided boarding passes for both seats. If necessary, you can ask a crew member for assistance."

LOL.. Elbow them in the head or what ?
Old May 29, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

You actively place the 1/2 to 2/3 of the cheek that doesn't fit in Asiento Uno into Asiento Dos.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K

I think it means UA expects you to have the conversation "excuse me, may I see your boarding pass? Hmm, it says 13B. It looks like you're in 12B. I have a boarding pass for that seat."

Then if they don't move, consult a FA for help with reseating.

And if you don't like confrontation, it sounds like UA is okay with you asking a FA to have that conversation with the passenger.

It sounds like UA is not okay with you writing in for a refund saying "I paid for 12BC but someone sat in 12B, please refund my extra seat charge" unless you can also document that you tried to ask 12B to move.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I think it means UA expects you to have the conversation "excuse me, may I see your boarding pass? Hmm, it says 13B. It looks like you're in 12B. I have a boarding pass for that seat." ...
Hmm is right...never seen anyone spill forward a row.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:40 pm

If the armrest come down, you have no case. If the armrest could not go down, that is the problem.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jetaway96
If the armrest come down, you have no case. If the armrest could not go down, that is the problem.
Any specific advice for how to approach the situation given the extra delicate nature of it having been an FA next to the OP and not a "civilian" pax?
Old May 29, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by VFRsoup
Ok yeah it would be an EMB-145 according to UA but according to Flightaware they are using 135's on that route. The other option I have for the route is first class on a Delta MD-88 and 757. The UA is better because it's nonstop and usually cheaper that 1st class Delta. I just have a hard time with the idea of buying 2 seats when there's a good chance there wouldn't even be a seat next to her...what's the next course of action, kicking her off the plane entirely or making her sit on the 2-seat side paying for 2 seats?
Honestly I'd go First Class on Delta if that is an option, even if that involves a connection. You and your friend will simply be so much more comfortable overall. I'm a bigger dude and if it were me (loyalty and status aside) I'd fly F with a connection over a non-stop on a E145 for comfort sake.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Any specific advice for how to approach the situation given the extra delicate nature of it having been an FA next to the OP and not a "civilian" pax?
If the FA is in a regular passenger seat then treat it just like any other passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.