Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:37 am

I'll be flying on flight UA863 SFO-SYD and currently booked 29D/E for my wife and I. Booked it due to the movable armrest between us and having the bulkhead. Wanted 16D/E but it was not open. Is this the best option? Outside of row 16 the rest of PE is open, including row 27 exit row seats BC and JK.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flew the 787-9 for the first time yesterday IAH-LAX in domestic F and I cannot imagine flying this aircraft long haul with those tiny footwells - I am sure it's been discussed ad nauseam upthread, but good grief! I am by no means a Sasquatch, but I could not fit both of my feet inside the footwell together with my shoes on, and even shoes off, it was super tight and very uncomfortable. No wonder the bulkhead seats were the first ones to be grabbed.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD
I'll be flying on flight UA863 SFO-SYD and currently booked 29D/E for my wife and I. Booked it due to the movable armrest between us and having the bulkhead. Wanted 16D/E but it was not open. Is this the best option? Outside of row 16 the rest of PE is open, including row 27 exit row seats BC and JK.
Those are the only pairs with moveable armrests, so if that's what you want, yes. You could also look at 16A/C or J/L and hope the middle stays empty.

FWIW, 16D/E will open at 24 hours typically, unless booked for special needs such as a bassinet.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Those are the only pairs with moveable armrests, so if that's what you want, yes. You could also look at 16A/C or J/L and hope the middle stays empty.

FWIW, 16D/E will open at 24 hours typically, unless booked for special needs such as a bassinet.
Thanks! I'll stick with these for now and see if I can switch to 16DE if they open 24 hours out since those are further from the galley/lav.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Another advantage of the bulkhead BF seats is that shelf you get. I find it handy to stash my meal tray there after I'm done eating and the FAs can come by to pick it up at their leisure instead of me having to wait for them.
I took 6K over the weekend on SFO-MUC... on boarding I put (temporarily) a cardboard letter size envelope (8.5 x 11) on the shelf. Within seconds the steward showed up and made me take it off as the shelf had to be left clear as there was "equipment in there which we need to access."

LMAO... riiiggghttt...

Anyways, the seat was great, no complaints about noise and the decent size footwell was nice.

I'll let you guess how the rest of the service was...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Any suggestion on 1D vs 6E?
I like D better than E because the angle of seat makes it more private than E, but mindful of lack of overhead bin above row 1.

In a perfect world, 4D on 798 and 6D on 789 will alwaysw be my choices.

Any views?

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Oct 4, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Any suggestion on 1D vs 6E?
I like D better than E because the angle of seat makes in more private than E, but mindful of lack of overhead bin above row 1.
I've not sat in 1D but 6E is fine. I actually like it over 6D because you're not angled towards your neighbor. I prefer also to sleep on left side and 6E is better for that.

I did get some FAs chatting in the galley noise my last flight, first time ever in row 6. Americans are just loud. You walk into the galley on BR or SQ and the crew is conversing so quietly you can't hear them at all.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
As discussed upthread, 1D is excellent, with the far larger foot space. It really isn't as close to the galley as you might think. The overhead space in the C cabin is really pretty good, so not have having the one right above your head isn't a problem.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I wouldn't worry about the bin space, but might have a slight bias for 6E as the rear cabin is a little bit quieter people-traffic wise. They're both fine seats though.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I actually prefer 6E vs 6D because the large footwell is more “straight on” versus the slight angle in the left side seat. Both are perfectly fine and are my favorite seats on the plane.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Oct 4, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
I actually prefer 6E vs 6D because the large footwell is more “straight on” versus the slight angle in the their seat. Both are perfectly fine and are my favorite seats on the plane.
I second that. Either 6D or 6E (slightly larger footwell) are hands down my preferred seats. The advantage I found with 6D was that galley noise didn't seem to bother me much on the left side of the plane vs. the right. Having flown IAH-SYD, SYD-LAX, SFO-MUC recently, you'll be pleased with either one.
mikeyf likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:13 am

I remember a lot of discussion a while back about 6D and 6E coming out concluding that 6E is so bad for some because it faces the lavatory with direct line of sight.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mileagehighclub
I remember a lot of discussion a while back about 6D and 6E coming out concluding that 6E is so bad for some because it faces the lavatory with direct line of sight.
Nope. That's 1E. 6E cannot see the lav. It's quite far away.
iainmc likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mileagehighclub
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. That's 1E. 6E cannot see the lav. It's quite far away.
I think @mileagehighclub is talking about the mid-J lavatory between rows 5 and 6. 6E isn't THAT far away from the lavatory but you'd have to twist around a bit to face the mid-J lavatory. OTOH, I had the lights from the FA closet in front of 6E right in my line of sight when I was in 6F from IAH to SYD. I found them to be rather annoying unless I flipped around to face the window seat, which felt awkward.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The 2R lav is forward of the galley and nowhere near 6E.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.