Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fezzington

On a 789, 1-4, 5-8 is standard.
Interesting. I'll look for that next time.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Window seats on 787-9 BF?

I will be flying in Business class LAX-SIN on a 787-9. I generally like window seats, but am wondering how hard it is to get in and out of the seat if there is someone in the aisle seat. Do I need to climb over them or wake them in order to get out? On a 17 hour flight I will need to get up a few times!

The seat map is pretty wide open at this point, so lots of choices. Any other seat suggestions/advice are appreciated!

Thanks!
Dan
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's pretty similar to any other lie-flat seat without direct aisle access. At 6' I find it quite easy to step over my seatmate without waking them, but it's a bit of a practiced maneuver. It's hard to really say as this seems to be a strongly personal preference - I don't mind the climb-over at all, but others hate it. Unless you're particularly short or inflexible though, I think you should be able to manage it.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Chose your own adventure!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by DanK
I will be flying in Business class LAX-SIN on a 787-9. I generally like window seats, but am wondering how hard it is to get in and out of the seat if there is someone in the aisle seat. Do I need to climb over them or wake them in order to get out? On a 17 hour flight I will need to get up a few times!

The seat map is pretty wide open at this point, so lots of choices. Any other seat suggestions/advice are appreciated!

Thanks!
Dan
I've perfected climbing over and not bumping the aisle passenger, but it is challenging - especially if it is really dark in the cabin. Practice once while the lights are still on. You can do it!

JK-SFO
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
I've been on a 787-9 about 60-70 times now, always in a window seat of the front business class section. I am currently in 6L, which is the first row window seat of the second business class section. Good seat, same big foot rest as 1A/L, but I have to say it is significantly louder (engine and air noise) than any seat I've sat in up front.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
I've been on a 787-9 about 60-70 times now, always in a window seat of the front business class section. I am currently in 6L, which is the first row window seat of the second business class section. Good seat, same big foot rest as 1A/L, but I have to say it is significantly louder (engine and air noise) than any seat I've sat in up front.
For anyone that is curious, I used a sound meter app for Android (Speedy Spectrum Analyzer and Sound Meter, super accurate, I know)... What can I say, I was bored while everyone else was sleeping.

At 6L (holding my phone above the video unit in front of the seat - at the bulkhead):
  • 68dB in the 136Hz range
  • 52dB in the 2.2KHz range
At 1L (holding my phone above the video unit in front of the seat - at the bulkhead):
  • 46dB in the 136Hz range
  • No other noticeable peaks
rambutan, mr8, tstauck and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
For anyone that is curious, I used a sound meter app for Android (Speedy Spectrum Analyzer and Sound Meter, super accurate, I know)... What can I say, I was bored while everyone else was sleeping.

At 6L (holding my phone above the video unit in front of the seat - at the bulkhead):
At 1L (holding my phone above the video unit in front of the seat - at the bulkhead):
That, my friend, is some strong FT behaviour! ^^
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite

Interesting. I've been keeping track of this thread to see if I should change our seats for our LAX - NRT flight later this year. The cabin is still wide open, and currently at 6D/6E. I think it'll be a daylight flight though.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:56 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Just did 1D the other day and would probably avoid it in the future... You do get a nice big footwell, but no bins directly overhead, and they do place a bunch of drinks and snacks on top/behind your IFE so it can get busy, if you’re trying to sleep.
​​​​​​​
Proximity to the galley doesn’t usually bother me, but for some reason I could still hear the FA and pilots chatting away during the flight.

Wondering how 6D compares?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mr8
Just did 1D the other day and would probably avoid it in the future... You do get a nice big footwell, but no bins directly overhead, and they do place a bunch of drinks and snacks on top/behind your IFE so it can get busy, if you’re trying to sleep.

Proximity to the galley doesn’t usually bother me, but for some reason I could still hear the FA and pilots chatting away during the flight.

Wondering how 6D compares?
I like 6D, sit there as often as possible. Not bothered by noise or light, have overhead bins, and the snack buffet is placed on a cart at door 2L, not in front of me
mr8 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold, Krisflyer, Global Entry
Flown on the 787-9 many times now going back and forth between SFO and SYD. Since I can't afford Business, the next best thing is E+ and since I prefer window seats, I've found that row 24A or L is the best seat. The lavatory noise is not an issue. It's cozy and no one behind you. Still have a good view out the window.

Row 40 windows is the absolute worst. The curvature of the plane at that row squeezes you. Very uncomfortable.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Anyone got any thoughts between 1DE and 6DE (both bulkhead middle). If loading is through 2L then row 1 would be much less busy during boarding, but wonder if there are any significant real-word differences (light/noice/smells) during flight.

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Smile

Originally Posted by atsiang
Flown on the 787-9 many times now going back and forth between SFO and SYD. Since I can't afford Business, the next best thing is E+ and since I prefer window seats, I've found that row 24A or L is the best seat. The lavatory noise is not an issue. It's cozy and no one behind you. Still have a good view out the window.

Row 40 windows is the absolute worst. The curvature of the plane at that row squeezes you. Very uncomfortable.
I do much better too when there's nobody behind me. I assume that 24A/L has the same recline as other E+ seats?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:56 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Anyone got any thoughts between 1DE and 6DE (both bulkhead middle). If loading is through 2L then row 1 would be much less busy during boarding, but wonder if there are any significant real-word differences (light/noice/smells) during flight.

Thanks
Footwells are supposedly the same size.
Row 1 is supposedly quieter due to distance from engines.
Row 1 lacks overhead space due to pilot resting space above.
Snacks and drinks are placed in the area above row 1's IFE, and can get busy with pax coming to get snacks and drinks.

Also, only one lav in front of 1KL, so you'll have to go around if you're in 1D.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.