Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by findark
It's set fairly far back, but yes you can see the lavatory door from 1E. Because of this, 1D is generally considered superior.
Superior to 1E but is it good, considering that 1E is called awful by some?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81
Superior to 1E but is it good, considering that 1E is called awful by some?
I think it's a personal decision. Your head is going to be 10-12 feet from the lavatory door, and looking straight at it. However, it is still one of four seats on the aircraft which have direct aisle access and the bigger footwell. Definitely 6DE and 1D are preferable, but after that you need to weigh various things (footwell size, aisle access, lav distance) as to how much you value them.

I wouldn't say 1E is "patently terrible" such that it should be red on SeatGuru or similar. Personally, I want a window seat, but obviously that's not all that relevant here.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Definitely 6DE and 1D are preferable, but after that you need to weigh various things (footwell size, aisle access, lav distance) as to how much you value them.
It is definitely personal preference. But anyone who is sensitive to lav traffic/noise/smells will be unhappy in 1E. For the same reason, I would say that 1K/L are inferior to 6 K/L, though 1K/L are not as bad as 1E. The advantage of row 6 right side is that the lavs are on the far side of the galley, which is itself a reasonable distance from the seats.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
1A/B is good, doesn't have issues of 1D/E?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by physioprof
1A/B is good, doesn't have issues of 1D/E?
Yes. Only major issue is lack of direct aisle access, but it's by far my favorite seat pair on the 789 (I'm a window person). Some people complain of galley light from 1B, but I don't think it's much worse than any other bulkhead that abuts a galley. I got 8 excellent hours of sleep on SFO-SYD in 1B.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yes. Only major issue is lack of direct aisle access, but it's by far my favorite seat pair on the 789 (I'm a window person). Some people complain of galley light from 1B, but I don't think it's much worse than any other bulkhead that abuts a galley. I got 8 excellent hours of sleep on SFO-SYD in 1B.
Thanks for info!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I know this is a few days late - but I experienced the galley light problem in 1B. Not horrible, as previously mentioned, but bad nonetheless. There’s no curtain to block it (like there is on the 1K side). In that sense - it is worse than other bulkheads I’ve experienced on other airlines with curtains.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 1:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm booked with my wife on UA195 from MUC to SFO. Just switched our seat assignment from 1K / 1L to 1A / 1B. Not much of a difference I'm sure, but after reading through the post here I think I've made a good decision. Here were my thoughts.

1K / 1L
-Too close to LAV. Didn't want people lining up next to us, though not sure that happens in Business class??

1A / 1B
- Away from LAV
- Being a day flight somewhat concerned about light/ heat/ glare, but wonder with the projected flight path if that might be mitigated a bit.

Anyone been on this flight and any input on the seat selection?
-
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA
Sat in 6KL on UA37 from LAX to SIN. Nice wide footwells, but the light from galley does make these seats a little “less dark” than the rest of the mini cabin. Interesting that there is a curtain, but I think the f/a only closed it for about 20 mins. Not much noise from galley. Absolutely, no noise from lavs; the exit doors are between lav and seats.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pbartp
Sat in 6KL on UA37 from LAX to SIN. Nice wide footwells, but the light from galley does make these seats a little “less dark” than the rest of the mini cabin. Interesting that there is a curtain, but I think the f/a only closed it for about 20 mins. Not much noise from galley. Absolutely, no noise from lavs; the exit doors are between lav and seats.
1. You sat in 2 seats up front?
2. Having sat in these two seats up front, do you recommend them?

David
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DELee
1. You sat in 2 seats up front?
2. Having sat in these two seats up front, do you recommend them?

David
My husband and I sat in these 2 seats for a 16.5 hour flight. If you are traveling as a pair, I do recommend them especially for side-sleepers. If I was traveling alone, I would take 6DE instead. The wider foot wells were important to me. I have no problems sleeping with an eye mask on, so the light was not an issue.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pbartp
My husband and I sat in these 2 seats for a 16.5 hour flight. If you are traveling as a pair, I do recommend them especially for side-sleepers. If I was traveling alone, I would take 6DE instead. The wider foot wells were important to me. I have no problems sleeping with an eye mask on, so the light was not an issue.
Got it - much appreciated!

David

p.s. What did your husband think of the seats?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Got it - much appreciated!

David

p.s. What did your husband think of the seats?
He liked them. He is a size 13 shoe, again--main reason that we like the wider foot wells. Wasn't bothered by light or noise.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

1A/L wasn't available, so I chose 2L to SIN and 2A on the return to SFO (to avoid the direct sunlight for much of the flight).

Is this going to be ok? I'm a window person ... will the engine obstruct my view?

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
1A/L wasn't available, so I chose 2L to SIN and 2A on the return to SFO (to avoid the direct sunlight for much of the flight).

Is this going to be ok? I'm a window person ... will the engine obstruct my view?

Thanks.
You will be totally fine; any window forward of Door 2 does not have engine in the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.