Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I flew 2E and 3E recently. I thought the noise from the back galley was louder than the front galley. I walked back to look at 6DE, but they are too close to the galley for my taste.

I usually fly by myself and will probably choose one of 3DE from now on. Middle of the cabin, direct aisle access and far from both galleys.
This is a YMMV, and maybe tied to the routes I've flown on the 787-9, but: most of the time, there are 2 major meal services -- right after takeoff, and right before landing. Setting up the first meal, and cleaning up the last one, are at times when almost everyone is awake, so not such an issue.

My bigger issue with galley noise is when the FAs use it as their chat space; the NCH doesn't block that nearly as well as it does the stray sounds of clinking plates & closing galley bins.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Having flown 1A and 6L now
Row 1 is better for noise, row 6 had a fair amount of engine noise and Y noise throughout the flight
Row 1 had the same amount of galley and Lav noise as 6 but it was more audible due to the lack of engine noise

The extra leg room on the bulk head seats is significant when sleeping

The touch screen controller is frequently annoying in its over and under sensitive operation, I frequently found it easier to just touch the screen

Bonus points for window seats in row 1/6 (if not all) is that the outer arm rest lowers and instantly gives you an extra near 6" of seat with accounting for the space over to the aircraft wall
Old May 23, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
How did you get lav noise at 6L? The nearest lavs are forward of the galley.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I've found that 6A/L are my favorite seats on the 787-9. I like 6A because the larger lav is on that side, the downside being that during boarding there is a lot more foot traffic.

6L is just as good but smaller lavs on that side of the cabin.

I didn't have a problem with engine noise or even galley noise in either. I slept a solid 7 hours on AMS-IAH in January in 6L and was very happy to get that rest.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS
Which door does the 787-9 deplane from usually? 1L or 2L? That seems relevant for picking row 1 or 6 seating.

In my case I'm looking at LAX-NRT and due to a short-ish connection I want to be off the plane fast. Do I sit in row 1 or row 6?
Old May 23, 2016, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CO FF
How did you get lav noise at 6L? The nearest lavs are forward of the galley.
Yeah I don't get that. And 6D/E are very far from the galley. Though you can't tell that from the seatmap.

I'm delighted though if people think row 1 is better . . . increases my odds of scoring row 6.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by harryhood
Which door does the 787-9 deplane from usually? 1L or 2L? That seems relevant for picking row 1 or 6 seating.

In my case I'm looking at LAX-NRT and due to a short-ish connection I want to be off the plane fast. Do I sit in row 1 or row 6?
1. Usually, both at LAX & NRT.
2. Row 6.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:20 pm

i have to decide between 16A/L, 17A/L or 27A/L on LAX-SYD and SYD-SFO

my goal is, as a tallish biggish man, to be able to sleep a little and not go insane before landing
Old May 28, 2016, 1:24 pm

I just got off my first flight on a 787. In Economy/Plus and I found the seats super uncomfortable. My butt hurt the whole time. Otherwise, the plane was nice and a good flight but that is the first time, I ever experienced pain in the back side.
Old May 28, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harryhood

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
1. Usually, both at LAX & NRT.
2. Row 6.
My two times through NRT on the 787 have both been 1L only.

Edit: both arriving to nrt but once was 788 and once was 789, both this month.

Last edited by fumje; May 28, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by brianmahanan
i have to decide between 16A/L, 17A/L or 27A/L on LAX-SYD and SYD-SFO

my goal is, as a tallish biggish man, to be able to sleep a little and not go insane before landing
16A/L > 17A/L >> 27A/L

Plenty of room at the bulkhead at row 16. Also 27A/L aren't even E+ and the exit slide will be in your way the entire flight.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by truncated
16A/L > 17A/L >> 27A/L

Plenty of room at the bulkhead at row 16. Also 27A/L aren't even E+ and the exit slide will be in your way the entire flight.
i'm worried about the babies that might be screaming up by 16A/L
Old May 29, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by brianmahanan
i'm worried about the babies that might be screaming up by 16A/L
Well 29DEF is a bassinet position as well so you could get babies anywhere. Which can be solved easily with a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones. The lack of space for a 15 hour flight can't. I just sat in 27L on the 788 for 10 hours IAH-EZE and it was tight, and I'm only 5'6" or so.

Also with 27A/L people tend to congregate around the exit door area while waiting for the lavs so all the traffic can get pretty annoying too. The aisle seats 27C/J have infinite legroom however people and the carts keep bumping into you (especially given how narrow the aisles on the 787 are).
Old May 29, 2016, 1:38 pm

good to know, thanks. i'll have to see if i can upgrade with points or if it is just cheaper to pay the 200$ each way.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Has anyone sat in 27A/L and can report on whether those are better/worse than a regular E- seat? I have a friend booked in Y on an award, so no free E+. If not 27A/L, any suggestions for best E-?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.