Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There is another thread for interlining bags when on separate PNR / tickets, see Bag Interlining Changes If Separate Tix with *A & Non *A Partners after 1 March 2015

Bag interlining (also known as “interline luggage”) is a voluntary commercial agreement between individual airlines to handle passengers bags traveling on itineraries that require multiple airlines, even if not the same alliance (if on a single PNR).

UA's interlining agreement list (May 2022)
Code:
MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
 AA AC AD AF AH AI AM AR AS AV AW AX AY AZ
 A3 BA BB BE BI BM BR BT BW CI CM CS CX CZ
 DL EI EN ET EV EW EY FB FI FJ FM FV GA GF
 GK G3 HA HO HP HU HX IB JJ JL JO JP JQ J2
 KA KC KE KG KL KM KQ KS KU KX LA LH LM LO
 LP LR LX LY MD ME MF MH MI MK MQ MS MU MX
 NH NU NX NZ OA OK OM OO OS OU OZ O6 PG PR
 PS PX PZ QF RO SA SK SN SQ SU SZ S2 S4 S7
 TA TG TJ TK TP T0 UA UK UL UN UP UX VA VN
 VS VT VW WF WK WM WP WY XF XL XQ ZH 2K 3K
 3M 3U 4B 4Q 4U 4Y 4Z 7C 7H 9B 9K 9W 9X
Bagagge - Connecting flights

For a trip that includes one or more connections, United will check bags to the final destination stated on the ticket. Your connecting flight must depart within 12 hours of your arrival at the airport in order for your bags to transfer automatically. United will generally transport checked baggage on the same flight as the traveler. If this is not practical, United will arrange to transport the baggage on the next flight with available space.
You'll need to claim and re-check baggage if you are:
  • Making a voluntary stopover
  • Making a connection that involves an overnight stay
  • Connecting to an itinerary booked on a separate ticket that doesn't include a Star Alliance partner airline
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
Print Wikipost

UA Interline Baggage Agreements (single PNR / ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:58 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by zeer0
But those are SEPARATE tickets. This is all on one 1 ticket from united.com! In fact United sent me PNR's for all 3 carriers.
Oh, yes sorry, I didn't carefully note that part. I would think they would, but definitely needs someone with more knowledge than I attempted to provide...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zeer0
But those are SEPARATE tickets. This is all on one 1 ticket from united.com! In fact United sent me PNR's for all 3 carriers.

As for the Priority tags, I've actually had really good luck with them on most trips, contrary to most here Even as a *S I'd occasionally get them, and my bag would still come first.
Yes, UA has interline agreements with both CX and HX. CX is unlikely to pull the priority tags off, but they're also unlikely to deliver your bag early because of it. As for the return -- in theory, UA should tag them when it takes the bag from HX, but in practice, I wouldn't expect that. You might ask the agent for extras when you check in for the outbound; you could then ask the HX rep to let you slip it onto the bag during the tagging process. Can't hurt.

BTW -- you won't get any elite baggage fee waivers on the return flight; you should get UA's allowance for your class of service.

UA and TG don't have a particularly strong partnership, *A or not. UA fares to BKK disallow TG flights, and TG doesn't allow other airlines to sell discount tickets on its flights. That's why the TG fare was so much higher -- with CX/HX, you were paying UA's SFO-BKK fare; with TG, you were paying UA's SFO-HKG fare plus TG's non-discount HKG-BKK fare.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
united interline with cathy Pacific

IM booked for ORD-HKG-BKK but second leg is on CX (cathy Pacific). will my bags be checked thru all the way to the destination? I only have 3 hours between flights in HKG.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soundman76
IM booked for ORD-HKG-BKK but second leg is on CX (cathy Pacific). will my bags be checked thru all the way to the destination? I only have 3 hours between flights in HKG.
Provided that you booked this on a single ticket, yes, UA will tag the bags all the way through to BKK.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:19 am

Your bags will be tagged to BKK if it's a single ticket. You will just need to collect your Cathay Pacific boarding pass at the transit desk in HKG. There will be no need to clear immigration.

If it's a separate ticket, you will need to clear immigration and collect your bags and then proceed upstairs to the Cathay Pacific check-in desk.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
complete ticket was purchased on United.com on one transaction.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Three hours is ample time at HKG. Even if you have to collect and re-check your bags (which you shouldn't, because UA is supposed to check them through).
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:17 am

Checked bag when connecting in ORD for Austrian flight

Hi, will be connecting in Chicago for flight to Vienna on Austrian (Lviv final destination on Austrian as well). Will United check my bag all the way through or will I need to pick it up at T5 and re-check? Remember this was true when flying LOT via Warsaw.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Should be no issue checking all the way. Whether you are on one ticket or separate, they are able to do it.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
You can check a domestic (or Canada) *A connecting to international *A bag through. If you are connecting international to international, you will have to claim and recheck.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:00 pm

thanks
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
For a specific answer, you’ll need to give more info. My read infers you are connecting to an Austrian flight to VIE - but where are you coming from? And confirm you are connecting to VIE (vs. from). Then we can give. A better answer for your situation.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
For a specific answer, you’ll need to give more info. My read infers you are connecting to an Austrian flight to VIE - but where are you coming from? And confirm you are connecting to VIE (vs. from). Then we can give. A better answer for your situation.
Flying from OKC so checking-in with United, OKC > ORD > VIEN > LWO
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jktraveler
Flying from OKC so checking-in with United, OKC > ORD > VIEN > LWO
will check through all the way
Old Jun 16, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: 1K
Last week I connected in HND from a UA-operated flight to a VN-operated flight. As per the usual, VN asked for my baggage claim numbers so that they could add them to the system and ensure the bags are loaded. However, I had 3 bags checked and they tried to charge me for excess baggage. I simply told them "sorry, you are welcome to grab one of my bags and I will just carry it on to the plane". After a huge debate and multiple supervisors, they waived the fee. Everything was on a single ticket issued by United (016) and United checked my bags through all the way to Hanoi.

I have never had this issue before (though I am usually in paid J on the VN flight). Is it kosher for VN to ask for money for my excess baggage mid-itinerary? I thought it would have been handled by United when I checked in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.