Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Must I go to ticket counter at LAS for intl trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Must I go to ticket counter at LAS for intl trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
I was just told by a UA Phone CSR that they can not issue me ticket in UA club at LAS. I find that hard to believe and trust members of Flyertalk more. So if somebody can confirm he UA club has ticket machine it would be nice ? Thanks
The UC at LAS WILL NOT issue you a ticket.
You don't need a ticket --- ONLY 2 b/p's, right?
I've had numerous flight changes, etc. and needed new b/p's and that's what they are there for besides checking to make sure you are entitled to enter.
Don't worry about it, and for gosh sakes quit calling stupid people for stupid answers.
Just go to the UC in LAS and get checked in.
Btw, using the correct terms to agents on the phone is the only way to get a correct answer,
If you have faith bro, and you believe us, just go to the club.

Btw, how long is your time between US Air and the LAS-ORD UA flight?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

You are correct I only need boarding passes. My last post was done on a plane where I knew I was going to be told to turn off my cell service. As for the statement where you say united CSRs are stupid I find that offensive but do think you get much better real life info from flyer talk members. I will have an hour between flights but will be traveling with many people so I want to get things right.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:19 am

You are correct I only need boarding passes. My last post was done on a plane where I knew I was going to be told to turn off my cell service. As for the statement where you say united CSRs are stupid I find that offensive but do think you get much better real life info from flyer talk members. I will have an hour between flights but will be traveling with many people so I want to get things right.
If you feel that my description of some CSR's is offensive then you may want to follow their advise and see were you finally get your b/p's! They told you that you can't get a ticket at a UC, and that is not always true, but that is NOT what you want, because hopefully you already have one..

It doesn't really matter what I think, because I know where I would be checking in for both legs of my flights, with passport in hand, and I told you where I'd be heading after I got off the US Air flight.

Do what you want, and in fact do what ever multiple agents tell you to do, but it would be much easier if you knew what you want to obtain, and that is NOT an airplane ticket --- What you want are 2 b/ps' which the UC will give to you.

To answer the question that you pose in the middle of the above statement --- Keep following each and every c/s agents off the cuff statements and see how long it takes you to exit LAS on the D train, go to the ticket counter, check-in after waiting in line, and then swim upstream through the TSA line, ride the train back, and hot foot it to your flight.

Yep, since I live in Vegas I'd put my money on FTer's any day over a c/s agent that lives in TPA or SLC and who manufactures an answer on how you should transit LAS.

Not all c/s agents are wrong or stupid, and not all FTer's are smart and always correct, but on this one, bet the farm on the UC saving your bacon!!!^^^
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is the US flight on a different ticket than the UA flights? While not specifically mentioned, seems by your OP, implies this is the case.

Unfortunately, leaving an hour between flights on separate tickets going from US to UA (or really...any carrier to the same/any other carrier) is risky and not a great idea. If you must do separate tickets, leave plenty of time...at least 3 hours, if not longer, IMO. Essentially you have two contracts - one with US to go XXX-LAS and another with UA to go from LAS-AMS. If everything goes well, great...but with my travel experience, I expect that not to be the case (to be clear, for most North American carriers ,not just UA), but am happy when it is. If something were to happen on your US outbound, delay or cancellation, you could be SOL. If you don't make it to LAS in time for your UA flight (including meeting check in cutoff if you're not able to check in online, and making the boarding cut off, which is T-15, meaning you really have to be there with just 45 minutes to make the connection), UA can/will offload you and cancel your itinerary, with no obligation to put you on a later flight (unless you pay for a last minute ticket...which will be expensive...and that assumes there are even seats to sell you).

If, on the other hand, if its on one ticket, US would be required to rebook next available flight to get you to your destination....which on one ticket would be AMS, and not LAS....and also would have flexibility to re-route you from a different gateway to Europe, expanding your rebook options.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:12 am
Original Poster

LilAbner-I told you I was rushed on last post as I was on a flight with doors closing and it is obvious I meant boarding pass versus ticket.

Yes I am on completely separate tickets so I am aware each airline has no obligation to fix anything for a delay or IROP that is why I wanted the most efficient transfer at LAS between US Air and UA.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:54 am

LilAbner-I told you I was rushed on last post as I was on a flight with doors closing and it is obvious I meant boarding pass versus ticket.

Yes I am on completely separate tickets so I am aware each airline has no obligation to fix anything for a delay or IROP that is why I wanted the most efficient transfer at LAS between US Air and UA.
Did the UA agent you talked to know that?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by Kacee
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

I have never been able to check in for an international trip without the passport being physically checked--but I've never done an international flight to a country I didn't need a visa for.

If UA has your passport info, you can check-in online and print a BP that will get you to the gate. They do the document check at the gate of the int'l departure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ1

Question: Regardless of who I ticket with to get myself to SFO, could UA check me in for the BR flight (SFO-TPE-MNL) in LAS, or would I have to wait until I get to SFO to do that?

No UA will not be able to check you in with BR. You'll have to go to the BR counter landside at SFO.

Make sure to leave yourself a big cushion for that separate ticket - I'd suggest at least three hours.
If you fly UA to SFO, I would suggest if you try checking in at the EVA Airlines lounge before going outside. If would save you time and if a gold member you would be at your layover lounge!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RJ1
Question: Regardless of who I ticket with to get myself to SFO, could UA check me in for the BR flight (SFO-TPE-MNL) in LAS, or would I have to wait until I get to SFO to do that?
UA "might" be able to check you in, but there are no UA segments at all. So even though it is *A, might not be possible.

A suggestion - why not add on via a waitlist a LAS-SFO UA award? Same miles as SFO-MNL to go LAS-SFO-MNL.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:32 am

Just walk from your US flight to the UC (where you are a member) and get your b/p's. Then go down the elevator and make 2 lefts and board your ORD flight.

If you happen to mis-connect ask the UC folks if they can help you!

Good luck!!!^
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:47 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by Scott6067
If you fly UA to SFO, I would suggest if you try checking in at the EVA Airlines lounge before going outside. If would save you time and if a gold member you would be at your layover lounge!
Thanks for this idea. I may try that if the lounge is open already when I arrive at SFO. I do plan to allow plenty of time. One question might be if the Eva Lounge can issue boarding passes. Last year I connected at SFO on Asiana, and their lounge could not issue BP's (perhaps because Asiana uses the China Airlines lounge).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:02 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by aacharya
UA "might" be able to check you in, but there are no UA segments at all. So even though it is *A, might not be possible.

A suggestion - why not add on via a waitlist a LAS-SFO UA award? Same miles as SFO-MNL to go LAS-SFO-MNL.
There are UA segments on the return, FWIW.

Thank you for your suggestion on the waitlisting. Just read the award waitlist thread.

Last edited by RJ1; Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.