Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Economy Plus -Not free to (non-United) Star Alliance Golds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Plus -Not free to (non-United) Star Alliance Golds?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by euslaner
As a UA 1K the only "benefit" I get on other Star carriers is *G early boarding.
Then you're not making very good use of your *G benefits, which include (i) priority check-in, (ii) free baggage allowance, (iii) Gold track priority security, and (iv) lounge access. There's also priority waitlisting, which saved my butt on AV once during IRROPS.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Not sure why folks are so upset that as *G they get no special treatment on UA. As a UA 1K the only "benefit" I get on other Star carriers is *G early boarding.
In addition to this, I've definitely been able to assign seats near the front section of the cabin on * carriers that are blocked to others. For sure on TG and SQ (they block like half of economy on the flights I've seen). I'm not even going to include my op-up on an LH long-haul in this....obviously, that was a rare occurence...the being able to select blocked seats have happened multiple times on multiple flights.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not sure why folks are so upset that as *G they get no special treatment on UA. As a UA 1K the only "benefit" I get on other Star carriers is *G early boarding.
Wrong. On some carriers you'll get benefits beyond what *A guarantees. On AC and SAS, you'll get free preferred seating (similar to E+). I'm sure there are others too.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
NZ is another carrier that treats *G generously - free access to their E+ equivalent.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I have gotten lounge access and I believe at least one free bag with LH. I just assumed *G WERE getting E+ .
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
I have gotten lounge access and I believe at least one free bag with LH. ...
Standard *A *G benefit.

Gold Status Benefits include
Priority Airport Check-in
Extra Baggage Allowance
Gold Track (Priority Security & Immigration)
Airport Lounge Access
Priority Boarding
Priority Baggage Handling
Priority Reservation Waitlist
Priority Airport Stand-by

Originally Posted by nomad420
I just assumed *G WERE getting E+ .
Preferred seat access is provided by just a few of *A carriers and is not a stated *A benefit.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
Wrong. On some carriers you'll get benefits beyond what *A guarantees. On AC and SAS, you'll get free preferred seating (similar to E+). I'm sure there are others too.
Seat selection wise TAP sucks
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
You most definitely do NOT get this on AC. (I have however got the random operational upgrade on AC when all they had on the record was my UA *G number - but that's definitely nothing to count on!)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
You most definitely do NOT get this on AC. (I have however got the random operational upgrade on AC when all they had on the record was my UA *G number - but that's definitely nothing to count on!)
You most definitely DO. I started a thread on this exact topic on the AC forum and almost all *G members on it agreed they got preferred seating on AC within the last year. You don't get it at booking though, only 24 hours out when you OLCI.

Here's a link from the thread I was mentioning. Air Canada Preferred Seating for *G

Last edited by zeer0; Aug 3, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
You most definitely DO. I started a thread on this exact topic on the AC forum and almost all *G members on it agreed they got preferred seating on AC within the last year. You don't get it at booking though, only 24 hours out when you OLCI.

Here's a link from the thread I was mentioning. Air Canada Preferred Seating for *G
Interesting, but certainly seems hit and miss and not a published benefit (but better than nothing!). Thanks for the link back to your thread.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

It's hit or miss. My last flight yyz-sfo, I didn't get it. But the previous couple flights, I did.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Count me as someone who has never gotten it, even in the last year, and even after asking.

Im now weary of paying for it, also, since last time they tried to kick my wife out of her preferred seat after they moved her without notice and re-assigned another phx there. This was a seat next to me - and they put her in the back somewhere - both *G, and both paid for preferred - Luckily the FA got it to work - GA had no interest in helping - only insisting that I must have moved her myself online (despite the fact it would've been impossible given it wasn't booked on AC.com so no way to do it advance, even if I wanted to, and also no way to do it during OLCI since I got SSSS so couldn't even start online checkin.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
No way to do it during OLCI since I got SSSS so couldn't even start online checkin.
I know this is a little off topic, but I was able to select seats the last time I flew AC when I happened to get SSSS. I just couldn't get an actual BP, but seat selection worked fine.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:12 am

Well...you should automatically get Lounge access...and an extra bag....

But otherwise I am in complete agreement... Preferential seating is not, and has NEVER been a *G perquisite... so I don't know why this comes up so often..... and given that many airlines either don't even HAVE an "E+" equivalent..or if they do they do NOT give it to UA *Golds.... its hard to see why UA should unilaterally provide such a benefit....

findark...Nothing I can find on the AIR NZ website suggests preferred seating is given free to non NZ Golds.....are you sure it hasn't just been generous GA's???
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by trooper
findark...Nothing I can find on the AIR NZ website suggests preferred seating is given free to non NZ Golds.....are you sure it hasn't just been generous GA's???
Yes. The NZ site is rather poor about advertising it, but *G are treated identically to NZ Gold: if you book a ticket with a UA*G number you can definitely select the reserved seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.