Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Say Vandelay
Club/Lounge Locations: D8, C4, C7, C17 (both UC and PL)
United Clubs, fairly similar amenities
- near Gate C4 (as of 8/29/23 open 2:00-7:00pm)
- near Gate C7
- near Gate D8
- near Gate C17

Best Lounge Options for UA/* Gold at IAD?
and
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]

Print Wikipost

IAD United Club: Which is best?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, UA, CSP
IAD United Club: Which is best?

Hello All -

I fly mostly on AA for work but for a holiday i will be flying United. I have a 6 hour stop at IAD and was wondering if you could provide input/options that i have. I heard there is no Admirals lounge in the airport and i am not flying business for this international flight, so i was wondering if i could use the One time pass at one/any of the united lounges? I will be flying from terminal C, accordingly am i just limited to the united lounge in that terminal or can i move between lounges to the best lounge available to me in my situation?

Your help/input is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arsenalman
Hello All -

I fly mostly on AA for work but for a holiday i will be flying United. I have a 6 hour stop at IAD and was wondering if you could provide input/options that i have. I heard there is no Admirals lounge in the airport and i am not flying business for this international flight, so i was wondering if i could use the One time pass at one/any of the united lounges? I will be flying from terminal C, accordingly am i just limited to the united lounge in that terminal or can i move between lounges to the best lounge available to me in my situation?

Unfortunately the one time pass is just that, one time. Meaning only one entry. It is not a day pass. So if you go into a club one time you have used up that pass.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hello All -

None of the three UA UCs at IAD is worth a $50 day pass, IMHO. If you are determined to shell out the $$, just pick the one closest to your gate.

If I had 6 hours to kill at IAD, I'd go visit the Air and Space Museum annex which is a short cab or bus ride away. http://www.vatransit.org/routes/2013...dulles-sat-sun or http://www.vatransit.org/routes/2013...ulles-weekdays
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Unfortunately the one time pass is just that, one time. Meaning only one entry. It is not a day pass. So if you go into a club one time you have used up that pass.
Thanks - thats what i read as well. And honestly, i will probably not move around post checking into the lounge. I just wanted to get an idea of which lounge that takes the one time pass is the best at IAD and if i could access it even though i will be in terminal C.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not true. You can get a stamp on your BP that permits reentry at any UC (at least in the airport) that day. I don't know why, in thread after thread, people keep claiming otherwise.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Not true. You can get a stamp on your BP that permits reentry at any UC (at least in the airport) that day. I don't know why, in thread after thread, people keep claiming otherwise.
+1

You cant re-use the pass... but you can exit and re-enter the club (or move to another if the mood suits). Just politely ask the person working the door and they will help you. To be honest all the clubs at IAD are about the same so pick the one closest to your departure gate.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arctikjon
+1

You cant re-use the pass... but you can exit and re-enter the club (or move to another if the mood suits). Just politely ask the person working the door and they will help you. To be honest all the clubs at IAD are about the same so pick the one closest to your departure gate.
Okay that helps. But the one time pass is applicable to all United lounges right (i mean is there a different lounge if you were a first class passenger? - i know there is difference in Etihad)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please show me on the linked page where it says you can use it more than 1 time. I have copied and bolded the pertinent sentence from the linked page. I have read where a UC attendant is being generous and stamping it so you can come back in but it is not technically allowed by the rules. And we keep stating it because it is the stated rules. If you know otherwise please post a link. I have never seen it posted anywhere that it is official policy to allow more than one entry on a "one time" pass.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nge/rates.aspx

This pass will allow one person one-time access to any United Club location.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Please show me on the linked page where it says you can use it more than 1 time. I have copied and bolded the pertinent sentence from the linked page. I have read where a UC attendant is being generous and stamping it so you can come back in but it is not technically allowed by the rules. And we keep stating it because it is the stated rules. If you know otherwise please post a link. I have never seen it posted anywhere that it is official policy to allow more than one entry on a "one time" pass.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nge/rates.aspx

This pass will allow one person one-time access to any United Club location.
The reality is that you get to exit and reenter. People come here for reality, not to have repeated to them the text that appears on their pass. The clubs have stamps for this specific purpose. It's not random generosity, it's policy. Sometimes policy isn't written on a public website, but that doesn't change the fact that it's policy.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reality is that you get to exit and reenter. People come here for reality, not to have repeated to them the text that appears on their pass. The clubs have stamps for this specific purpose. It's not random generosity, it's policy. Sometimes policy isn't written on a public website, but that doesn't change the fact that it's policy.
And FT "reality" only causes grief when people take what some here post as gospel and don't get what you or someone else said. Official policy is you get one entry. If they get something else, great, but it is not policy and should not be expected. If you are going to make these blatant statements you should at least qualify them as YMMV when they deviate from official policy. I don't believe in getting peoples hopes up that they will get something different from policy and then they don't get it. I am being realistic. You are in a fantasy world where you got something once so you should be able to get it every time.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I've had agents tell me (when using a one-time pass) that if I need to exit and re-enter, to make sure that I have them stamp my BP so that I can do so. The stamp has the airport code on it, so it's not as though you're going to be able to gain access at multiple airports. But multiple lounges in the same airport *shouldn't* be a problem if you get the stamp. YMMV.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Okay that helps. But the one time pass is applicable to all United lounges right (i mean is there a different lounge if you were a first class passenger? - i know there is difference in Etihad)?

Thanks!
There is an International First Class lounge, but the pass won't get you in there. The other lounges (just "United Clubs") are all the same. Pretty dismal.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Thanks!
It is applicable to all United Club locations.

There is a different club type for International First Class passengers (GlobalFirst Lounge). The one-time (or one time plus stamp...) will not gain you access the GlobalFirst Lounge.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
It is applicable to all United Club locations.

There is a different club type for International First Class passengers (GlobalFirst Lounge). The one-time (or one time plus stamp...) will not gain you access the GlobalFirst Lounge.
Thanks everyone. From the sound of it, this club pass that i have on hand is probably a good place to maybe just pick up a drink or 2. Might just go see the museum for most of the day.

If i do go to the lounge, i will try and see if they stamp my hand if i want to go out for a walk. Will report back on Sunday.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Hello All -

You may want to consider schlepping over to the DL club and buying a pass there. Yes, it's a long walk. But you have the time. And the club is in a better terminal, and it has better amenities.

Edited to add: Sounds like you already have a UA One day pass. So scratch what I wrote!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.