FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1546602-mp-accounts-closed-ua-alleging-fraud-misuse.html)

Xyzzy Jan 30, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by GoGoGoTom (Post 22249163)
Or are 'account termination/closure' and 'all award booking canceled' destined fates no matter what kind of wrongs you may have done? I did a search and it seems most are closed and there aren't much room to negotiate

I've heard about a few of these situations and there never seems to be a half-way. It's always closed and done. There is no neg:eek:tiation. It's UA's program.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post 22249386)
Wonder if they were upset when they discovered that the miles still belonged to the airline ??

I've known people who worked for companies that claimed all of the miles. The people simply never bothered to sign up for the FF programs.

UA Fan Jan 30, 2014 9:39 am

Originally Posted by B747SP (Post 22247477)
saying that the accounts were managed by a single person and that was a violation of the MP rules. A total of about 10-12 employee accounts were all closed and miles confiscated without any warning.

I manage some of my relatives accounts. Hope that does not land me in trouble.

Xyzzy Jan 30, 2014 10:14 am

How does this sort of thing affect the businesses :rolleyes:f award planners?

dcpdxtrans Jan 30, 2014 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Often1:22252379

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans (Post 22252334)
I would be interested in this type of program too. I wonder how BA deals with the situation where 1 member is a 1K/Plat and the rest are silver /no status. As for downside I'd be OK not giving friends miles/instruments - - I'll give them a box of chocolates (& some extra salty nuts) instead!!

That is indeed the tradeoff. Household gets you one cumulative account, but you can't help outsiders. You can help your kids, but not auntie.

Then this means that if one of the members has an elite status, then any time an award ticket is used from the aggregate account, that flyer would enjoy top status. I like that much better than the current version where I would not want to fly on my wife's miles the years she has silver (from just missing gold) . Now that type of FF program would be a change I liked (or whatever the saying is)

mre5765 Jan 30, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 22251042)
I find this part quite interesting:

So one of the account holders got an email, with a simple resolution - all it took was providing an ID - presumably something that matches the address on file. And instead of saying - easy enough to do - they said screw it.

My employee ID does not have an address. Indeed, until a few years ago, it didn't even have a logo on it (for security reasons ... someone finds a badge with a logo, that someone goes to the nearest facility operated by the owner of that logo and steals stuff or worse).

So how does that work?

alex_b Jan 30, 2014 10:31 am

So one of the account holders got an email, with a simple resolution - all it took was providing an ID - presumably something that matches the address on file. And instead of saying - easy enough to do - they said screw it.

I don't, high value flyer decides who derives marginal benefit from UA decides that rather than jumping through hoops for a company that's already accused them of fraud, they'd take their business elsewhere. Plenty of people take decisions that might be marginally detrimental to them to punish a company that they believe hasn't behaved well.

mahasamatman Jan 30, 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 22252883)
How does this sort of thing affect the businesses of award planners?

I'm sure United is OK with award planners as long as they don't have direct access to your account, and there's no reason they should need it anyway.

dcpdxtrans Jan 30, 2014 10:39 am

Originally Posted by alex_b:22252990

I don't, high value flyer decides who derives marginal benefit from UA decides that rather than jumping through hoops for a company that's already accused them of fraud, they'd take their business elsewhere. Plenty of people take decisions that might be marginally detrimental to them to punish a company that they believe hasn't behaved well.

Good point. However I think it's incumbent upon any person or entity accused of fraud under these circumstances to at least transmit a letter denying such. In that letter than I'd indicate my company will take biz elsewhere.

thegrailer Jan 30, 2014 11:08 am

For all of my latest award trips, the UA rep has asked for my pin. Add that to the customer's MP account # and you have direct access. The award planner is "managing" the account. Whether UA cares or not is a different story??? Apparently not, but wait until we hear about the award planner who go someone else's MP account canceled :eek:.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 22252883)
How does this sort of thing affect the businesses :rolleyes:f award planners?

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 22253037)
I'm sure United is OK with award planners as long as they don't have direct access to your account, and there's no reason they should need it anyway.

Side question: What about purchased or earned via non-flying miles? If UA confiscates purchased miles is there a refund? What about miles earned through Chase CCs? I just don't know how that would work :confused: (I assume the account holder has a better case with purchased miles)

MSPeconomist Jan 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer (Post 22253235)
For all of my latest award trips, the UA rep has asked for my pin. Add that to the customer's MP account # and you have direct access. The award planner is "managing" the account. Whether UA cares or not is a different story??? Apparently not, but wait until we hear about the award planner who go someone else's MP account canceled :eek:.

Side question: What about purchased or earned via non-flying miles? If UA confiscates purchased miles is there a refund? What about miles earned through Chase CCs? I just don't know how that would work :confused: (I assume the account holder has a better case with purchased miles)

If miles are owned by the airline, when one purchases miles, exactly what is the property right being purchased? How can I purchase something (miles) from an airline, but the airline continues to own the miles? How do airlines commonly make the distinction that they can sell you something that you can't own?

dcpdxtrans Jan 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 22253579)
If miles are owned by the airline, when one purchases miles, exactly what is the property right being purchased? How can I purchase something (miles) from an airline, but the airline continues to own the miles? How do airlines commonly make the distinction that they can sell you something that you can't own?

it's called a license.

LaserSailor Jan 30, 2014 12:38 pm

I've known people who worked for companies that claimed all of the miles. The people simply never bothered to sign up for the FF programs.
I suspect said people were confused in fact that the company bought tix in a way that miles were not awarded, as opposed the company keeping the miles.

I doubt anyone can find a present day company that creates MP accounts for fliers and accumulates and uses miles flown by employees for its own benefit.

BH62 Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy (Post 22252539)
I've heard about a few of these situations and there never seems to be a half-way. It's always closed and done. There is no neg:eek:tiation. It's UA's program.

Oh well, suppose Scrooge.Inc requires employees to sign up for any/all FF programs as a condition of employment. Just fantasizing.

Xyzzy Jan 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by BH62 (Post 22253857)
Oh well, suppose Scrooge.Inc requires employees to sign up for any/all FF programs as a condition of employment. Just fantasizing.

For the one large company that I'm pretty sure used to do this kind of thing I wouldn't have put it past them to insist on that t:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

takeahike66 Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by TXbizman (Post 22250113)
I see your point and noted. However, this relates to all of us managing 'spouse/children/infants/OP's small business account, etc' and UA need to explain what is right and wrong. No child's account managed by parents are allowed? No admin managing their manager's accounts, ect?

UA Insider or someone need to clarify or else we all making 'assumptions'...

As pointed out by several posters, this in not about Husband/Wife/Child, Traveler/Admin, but the OP violating several rules.

1) using someone else MP number on own travel (rental car mileage posted to someone else MP to extend expiration date)
2) pooling of miliage (infrequent flyer's miles used to upgrade other traveler trip)
3) giving someone else access to their MP account for the sole purpose of scaming the MP program
4) Other violations of rules pointed out by earlier posters
5) the other co-workers gave OP permission to perform the action with their MP account

Posters are asking why shouldn't they ask UA to re-instate the MP accounts with a warning. What are they going to say, that they were active participants is scaming the MP program?