FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2014 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1536467-2014-lets-eat-domestic-canada-latin-america-first-businessfirst-business-class.html)

Kacee Apr 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mats (Post 22734700)
Sadly, I'm anti-cannelloni. I just don't like that particular dish. But it's been on the BusinessFirst menus for at least 3-4 years.

I'm starting to learn my favorite "BYO" options. I have my favorites from Newark; I just need to find a favorite BYO choice from Houston. If United follows in American's footsteps and posts its menus in advance, I would know "this is a flight that will require BYO" or "I actually like that meal." But given United's current cost-cutting and problems with SHARES, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I don't like the cannelloni either.

The thing about breakfast flights is, I know exactly what they're going to serve, and that I don't want anything except the fruit. So picking something up at the airport has become an automatic.

cricketer Apr 20, 2014 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by kon104 (Post 22721752)
Is it sad that I've been flying so much SFO-BOS transcons these days that I've missed the old SFO-JFK?

I've been doing SFO-BOS-SFO of late. My last round trip was notable because not only were the nuts fresh, crisp, warm and served in a ramekin, but in both directions there were extras available. Apparently this was due to double-catering.

Flying again this week, will try the cannelloni on the outbound. My return is an early breakfast flight, so I guess no bailey's and ice cream on that one for me.

kon104 Apr 20, 2014 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mats (Post 22734700)
Sadly, I'm anti-cannelloni. I just don't like that particular dish. But it's been on the BusinessFirst menus for at least 3-4 years.

Only starting to fly BF now so maybe I'll start getting bored of it soon :eek: Long run of not flying the route for 6 weeks now so with any luck they'll put up something new? (Wishful thinking)

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 22734719)
I've been doing SFO-BOS-SFO of late. My last round trip was notable because not only were the nuts fresh, crisp, warm and served in a ramekin, but in both directions there were extras available. Apparently this was due to double-catering.

This is usually my experience on this route. Most things are pretty great (though last week I forgot and asked for limes - oops).

JerseyCityS Apr 25, 2014 11:26 am

Flew yesterday LAX EWR at 5:03pm and was seated in 7D so I could see all of the F activity.

I was shocked to see only two choices, verses the 3 I have always on a trans-con dinner flight, and no appetizer.

The entire meal was served at once with a salad, roll and entree. No menus either. My last transon in F had a menu, seperate apperizer/salad course, and then 3 choices for dinner.
A sundae was served, although over an hour after dinner service.

As an aside - no predeparture drinks at all. Inbound plane was 25 minutes early, plane was catered before we boarded. Just laziness I guess.

I am still surprised by the difference in sUA and sCO crews. THis was UA, and one FA was left for the entire dinner service. It took an eternity. On sCO at least one of the Y FA's would help at least through the beginning of dinner.

zoegksf Apr 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post 22760640)
Flew yesterday LAX EWR at 5:03pm and was seated in 7D so I could see all of the F activity.

I was shocked to see only two choices, verses the 3 I have always on a trans-con dinner flight, and no appetizer.

The entire meal was served at once with a salad, roll and entree. No menus either. My last transon in F had a menu, seperate apperizer/salad course, and then 3 choices for dinner.

As an aside - no predeparture drinks at all. Inbound plane was 25 minutes early, plane was catered before we boarded. Just laziness I guess.

I am still surprised by the difference in sUA and sCO crews. THis was UA, and one FA was left for the entire dinner service. It took an eternity. On sCO at least one of the Y FA's would help at least through the beginning of dinner.

Yes, it's quite sad:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-impacted.html

LASUA1K Apr 25, 2014 2:54 pm

What kind of aircraft? If it was a 319 or 320 they only have 3 FA's. The 738-9 have 4.

JerseyCityS Apr 25, 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 22761811)
What kind of aircraft? If it was a 319 or 320 they only have 3 FA's. The 738-9 have 4.

It was an A320 with 3 attendants.

Can't believe they're degraded the transcon meals. It literally gets worse by the month. Every month they cheapen the whole thing.

UA-NYC Apr 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS (Post 22762615)
It was an A320 with 3 attendants.

Can't believe they're degraded the transcon meals. It literally gets worse by the month. Every month they cheapen the whole thing.

Costs have risen too much with all the artificial supply they've dumped on the route to deal with VX ;)

phkc070408 Apr 26, 2014 2:31 am

Flying EWR-MSY in F next month. It sounds like we should have something at the airport before we board. What's good to eat a EWR?

I think I'll start a new thread.

JVPhoto Apr 26, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408 (Post 22763902)
Flying EWR-MSY in F next month. It sounds like we should have something at the airport before we board. What's good to eat a EWR?

I think I'll start a new thread.

You got some responses in that thread and ps if you're also flying back out of MSY make sure you eat before. It's a cesspool of dining there (aside from a decent peanut butter banana smoothie I got).

dvo1029 Apr 26, 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by zoegksf (Post 22761761)

I read that to mean that you could not special order a meal, but I did not think it impacted the close the BF meal that was served. I cannot believe these cuts continue and more will flee, I am now a 50/50 mix of UA and DL for domestic (after 95% UA last year). By next year I have a feeling I will be 95% DL. I know the FF program stinks but I care more about the soft and hard product than earning miles.

PV_Premier Apr 26, 2014 9:38 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22762661)
Costs have risen too much with all the artificial supply they've dumped on the route to deal with VX ;)

the supply is very real (as evidenced by the 2000 flights per day and awful product onboard), it's the demand that i believe is a figment of Wacker's imagination :)

SFO777 Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am

The entire meal was served at once with a salad, roll and entree. No menus either. My last transon in F had a menu, seperate apperizer/salad course, and then 3 choices for dinner. A sundae was served, although over an hour after dinner service.

Meanwhile over on the dAArk side:
Current AA transcon meals including a full dinner option on a 10:20PM SEA-MIA red-eye

UA-NYC Apr 26, 2014 11:10 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 22765026)

Not even a fair comparison anymore...AA tries, UA simply doesn't.

Kurt Apr 26, 2014 11:19 am

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 22765026)

On AA you are served Rued Chardonnay. On UA you are served rude chardonnay!