FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is this a "legal" routing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1525139-legal-routing.html)

CaptainMiles Dec 5, 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Acornragazzo (Post 21855697)
My question is will UA harass me about this when I try to check my bag EWR-BOS-EWR-PHX?

They very well may harass you. A couple of years ago I flew IAH-JAN-IAH-EWR, with 30 minutes in JAN (same plane back). CO (at the time) would just not let me check a bag all the way, saying the computer does not allow to print a bag tag that would transit the same airport twice -- and that kinda makes sense. I asked them to just check the bag for the final IAH-EWR, but they would not do it. And seeing how UA inherited CO's SHARES, that same impossibility may not exists at UA.

So I checked my bag to JAN. Upon arriving at JAN I went straight to check in and checked a bag (just printed the tag, really). I did that to beat the cut-off time. Told the agent to hold my bag tag for a few minutes while I went down to baggage claim to get my bag. Got my bag from baggage claim and took it back upstairs. Check-in agent was most amused.

Now... this may be possible at JAN, where everything is within a short walk and there is one agent and one junglejet flight. I would not try something similar at BOS without at least two hours.

romanbel81 Dec 6, 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by kalendil (Post 21910199)
You will have problems with agents trying to get the openjaw at the stopover, but it can be done, eventually. Don't give up!

edit: yes, 65K is how it should price.

Yess, you are right. Called 5 times, all kind of excuses. Eventually, one lady said "only one open jaw", but after consultation with the supervisor she were about to price the whole ticket of 65K when the call suddenly disconnected...

DWFI Dec 6, 2013 2:54 pm

You can do anything with MP. I have a 10 segment itinerary (US-SE Asia) booked as part of the LH F YYZ error with two jaws, despite the 4 per direction limit.

It's just a question of the HUACA constant. Some operations may require 0 HUACA, some 2-3 HUACA, and some might require 25 ;) (not that I advise you try). Depends how hard you're willing to fight for it. This particular itinerary involved asking 7 different agents. The final one misinterpreted what I wanted but it was actually better than I requested so I kept my mouth firmly shut.

romanbel81 Jan 10, 2014 12:25 am

Trying to use out the miles before Feb 1st change, departing from Montreal. Wanna the following:

20/01 YUL-MUC LH First
21/01 MUC-FRA LH Biz
21/01 FRA-Shangai LH First

Destination

13/04 BKK-MUC Thai First layover
14/04 MUC-DME LH Biz

Stopover

11/06 DME-MUC LH Biz
11/06 MUC-YUL LH Biz

IS this legal?

Is it the max I could get in terms of First class? Can't get back flight on LH at First since its too far from now, but could get First on Thai.

The agent told I can't make an openjaw between Shangai and BKK, but easily did it online with dummy reservation. Is this legal? Also, any thoughts I am missing out on first class on a way back. Was thinking of going back through Pacific from Moscow, getting first class on Thai or ANA. Would it be possible? its real backtracking.