FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Is this a "legal" routing? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1525139-legal-routing.html)

Acornragazzo Nov 26, 2013 1:39 am

Is this a "legal" routing?

It turns out I may be 500 miles short of Plat this year unless I get credit for some LH T fares FRA-MUC-CGN. Since the website no longer says you can get credit for intra-European T fares as far of an intercontinental booking I'm not counting on it.

So I am PHX-EWR-BOS and return EWR-PHX. The website will let me book a multi-city itinerary to go EWR-BOS-EWR-PHX all in one day. That would put me over 75k on the year and doesn't add significant cost to the ticket I would have otherwise bought EWR-PHX. My question is will UA harass me about this when I try to check my bag EWR-BOS-EWR-PHX?

astroflyer Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Acornragazzo (Post 21855697)
It turns out I may be 500 miles short of Plat this year unless I get credit for some LH T fares FRA-MUC-CGN. Since the website no longer says you can get credit for intra-European T fares as far of an intercontinental booking I'm not counting on it.

So I am PHX-EWR-BOS and return EWR-PHX. The website will let me book a multi-city itinerary to go EWR-BOS-EWR-PHX all in one day. That would put me over 75k on the year and doesn't add significant cost to the ticket I would have otherwise bought EWR-PHX. My question is will UA harass me about this when I try to check my bag EWR-BOS-EWR-PHX?

I think that's unlikely if booked as a multi-city itinerary. You actually have an intermediate destination somewhere in there. You should check in with a kiosk, rather than a person. I'm doing much the same thing with an upcoming LAX-SFO-LAX-EWR turn on the same day to make sure I requal for plat. It's so annoying to be 500 miles short!

P.S. there's a tiny ambiguity on the LH earning. It used to matter if it was in conjunction with a transatlantic flight. I think you're probably right not to count on it though

palmetto86 Nov 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 21858516)
I think that's unlikely if booked as a multi-city itinerary. You actually have an intermediate destination somewhere in there. You should check in with a kiosk, rather than a person. I'm doing much the same thing with an upcoming LAX-SFO-LAX-EWR turn on the same day to make sure I requal for plat. It's so annoying to be 500 miles short!

P.S. there's a tiny ambiguity on the LH earning. It used to matter if it was in conjunction with a transatlantic flight. I think you're probably right not to count on it though

Why does it matter if checkin is with a kiosk or an agent? If there is an intermediate destination in there, UA certainly got money from the pax for it. There's probably a break in the fare, so no SDC. The pax is doing nothing here out of the ordinary.

kale73 Nov 26, 2013 12:29 pm

I've done weirder routings to earn segments / miles. BTR-IAH-ORD-MCI-DEN-ABQ all in one day.

Duke787 Nov 26, 2013 12:30 pm

If the website sold it to you (which means you didn't illegally nest it or violate the ticketing rules in any way by purchasing multiple tickets separately to intentionally subvert fare rules) you should have no problem at all. If it was an illegal routing the website wouldn't have let you ticket it (or the cost would've been drastically higher if you hit some other fare rule). You won't be harassed when you check your bag (if it makes you feel better just lie if they ask and say you have to hop up to Boston for a couple hours to meet with a colleague and then come back).

kale73 Nov 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 21858684)
(if it makes you feel better just lie if they ask and say you have to hop up to Boston for a couple hours to meet with a colleague and then come back).

Why lie? I'd just say I have an irresistible craving for some real NE clam chowder!

GregMM Nov 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by kale73 (Post 21858716)
Why lie? I'd just say I have an irresistible craving for some real NE clam chowder!

Both BOS UA terminals have an airside Legal Seafood restaurant, so that's definitely possible. :)

steppie Nov 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Acornragazzo (Post 21855697)

If you are just doing a one-day turn around.....why even bother with luggage? However, to answer your question about checking, no problem. Safe flight!

Acornragazzo Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am

Is this a "legal" routing?

I need to check the luggage because I'm actually going to PHX. It just seemed like a good idea to add the extra segments in there because it only cost me another 10 USD or something (and a few hours of flight)

BH62 Nov 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Acornragazzo (Post 21864282)
I need to check the luggage because I'm actually going to PHX. It just seemed like a good idea to add the extra segments in there because it only cost me another 10 USD or something (and a few hours of flight)

Been there, done that. Once did OGG-HNL-LAX-DEN-SFO-SEA instead of OGG-SFO-SEA, although that was pmUA.

astroflyer Nov 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by palmetto86 (Post 21858629)
Why does it matter if checkin is with a kiosk or an agent? If there is an intermediate destination in there, UA certainly got money from the pax for it. There's probably a break in the fare, so no SDC. The pax is doing nothing here out of the ordinary.

It's more just that you read occasional reports of agents trying to "fix" tickets and "help" flyers out. Or if nothing else you have to explain the concept of a mileage run. I did an immediate SFO-ORD turn for DEQM a couple years ago, and I thought the agent wasn't going to let me check in, she found it so weird.

Singapore_Schwing Nov 28, 2013 12:45 am

Originally Posted by astroflyer (Post 21867287)
It's more just that you read occasional reports of agents trying to "fix" tickets and "help" flyers out. Or if nothing else you have to explain the concept of a mileage run. I did an immediate SFO-ORD turn for DEQM a couple years ago, and I thought the agent wasn't going to let me check in, she found it so weird.

I would actually advise against explaining the concept of a mileage run, as you never know when you're going to get a rogue agent who accuses you of trying to somehow scam MP.

I like the idea of lunch and chowda with a colleague in BOS. Much simpler to explain to the uninitiated.

Acornragazzo Dec 1, 2013 4:15 am

lunch and chowda in BOS it is then. In the end I ended up getting credit for my German flights so maybe it's still true that LH T fares intra-europe are valid for credit as long as they are of an intercontinental itinerary?

Funny thing is that now I don't need those extra miles but I'm glad to have them anyway. Better safe than sorry.

romanbel81 Dec 5, 2013 2:11 pm

Montreal to Asia through Europe on award to book before Feb'14

Hello,

Wanted to ask for your experienced opinion. Have seen several questions like that on here, but nevertheless if anyway has comments.
First off, again the lady on the phone told Asia via Europe is round the world. Also thought only one open-jaw is allowed. As many say here, she is wrong and need to call again. I will. Here is the itenarary. Please, confirm if it is feasible:

1) 02/10 YUL - MUC (LH )
02/11 MUC - FRA (LH)
Layover less than 24h
2) 02/12 FRA - BKK (Thai) Destination.

Open jaw

3) 03/19 SIN - IST (SQ)
03/19 IST - BCN (Turkish)

Stop over. Open jaw.

4) 04/15 DME - FRA (LH)
Layover < 24h
04/16 FRA - YUL (AC)

Any comments? Is it possible to get for 65K in Economy?

Thank you!

kalendil Dec 5, 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by romanbel81 (Post 21910145)
Hello,

Wanted to ask for your experienced opinion. Have seen several questions like that on here, but nevertheless if anyway has comments.
First off, again the lady on the phone told Asia via Europe is round the world. Also thought only one open-jaw is allowed. As many say here, she is wrong and need to call again. I will. Here is the itenarary. Please, confirm if it is feasible:

1) 02/10 YUL - MUC (LH )
02/11 MUC - FRA (LH)
Layover less than 24h
2) 02/12 FRA - BKK (Thai) Destination.

Open jaw

3) 03/19 SIN - IST (SQ)
03/19 IST - BCN (Turkish)

Stop over. Open jaw.

4) 04/15 DME - FRA (LH)
Layover < 24h
04/16 FRA - YUL (AC)

Any comments? Is it possible to get for 65K in Economy?

Thank you!

You will have problems with agents trying to get the openjaw at the stopover, but it can be done, eventually. Don't give up!

edit: yes, 65K is how it should price.