Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Where is this aircraft coming from" questions; Times / aircraft don't make sense!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Where is this aircraft coming from" questions; Times / aircraft don't make sense!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like 701 is not a flight number used for multiple segments, but I noticed yesterday that the 'where is this aircraft coming from' link redirected to the inbound flight for the wrong segment.

I didn't make a note of all the particulars, but it was for a flight number used for EWR-ORD + ORD-LAX. The ORD-LAX 'where is' directed to a TPA(?)-EWR flight, which was the EWR-ORD inbound aircraft. The ORD-LAX flight's inbound craft was actually doing IAD(?)-ORD.

The ORD-LAX 'where is' did correct itself after a while. (Maybe after EWR-ORD departed? Didn't pay attention.)

Relatedly, I was trying to track my parents' connection, and noticed some funny business with the 753s going ORD-LAX.

--

--

Guessing they did something like just keep moving the later flights' aircraft to the one earlier and then reassigning the water tank dud to the later flight ?

Last edited by fumje; May 19, 2018 at 12:57 pm Reason: img size
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
United assignes inbound aircraft scheduled to arrive 1m after scheduled departure

Currently scheduled on UA 1565 IAH-SJO. Scheduled departure time was 6:07. I noticed this morning that the inbound aircraft was UA1570, BZE-IAH, which was scheduled to arrive at 6:08. I figured this was a glitch, that the inbound somehow got mixed up with the flight that was supposed to use the gate after we left.

Silly me. That’s the inbound flight. Just received notice that UA1565 is delayed 53 minutes awaiting delayed aircraft. Which is UA1570, which is running 3 minutes late. In otherwords, they scheduled the inbound aircraft knowing full well it would seriously delay my flight, and yet kept the flight on time all day until it was too late to do anything about it.

I’ve seen some asinine actions by OPS, but this takes the cake for me. Currently scheduled to arrive at 10pm, with a 78m delay.

Sorry for the vent
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
In otherwords, they scheduled the inbound aircraft knowing full well it would seriously delay my flight, and yet kept the flight on time all day until it was too late to do anything about it.
Inbound aircraft are always provisional, especially at a hub. I'm sure the operations team assigned to your flight (well, to Houston and Latin America in general) considered replacement aircraft (and probably still are; it's entirely possible your flight leaves on time).

Having said that, UA rarely will update an outbound flight's departure time until the previous flight is in the air, and "where is this aircraft coming from" is a helpful hint.

I'm not sure what else there would have been to do about it -- it's not like they forgot about your flight.

If a 78 minute delay is a "serious delay," I suggest you take a look at the two competing threads about weather-related cancellations in the northeast. I'm sure there are thousands of travelers today who would be extremely happy with a 78 minute delay.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: United Gold
It’s funny that you posted this, because I have been noticing the same thing happening lately, and do not remember seeing it happening routinely in the past. Had a very similar situation although with different flights happened to me last week. I only other hand, assumed I was correct in deducing that they had messed up as opposed to your deducing that you were the one messing up.

My point being, the operations are correct and they just haven’t quite adjusted the departure times to account for it.

I think this is the real glitch (Not adjusting departure times based on known late in coming arrivals for the aircraft. Is anyone else noticing it happening?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hscottm
I think this is the real glitch (Not adjusting departure times based on known late in coming arrivals for the aircraft. Is anyone else noticing it happening?
It's not new, and it's not a glitch -- it's policy. You will rarely (if ever) get a delay notification until the inbound flight is in the air.

There are two reasons that they do it -- (a) people hate rolling delays, and (b) once they've announced a delay, passengers start to adjust their plans based on that delay. While that sounds appealing -- "I'd rather wait at home than sit around the airport," it also causes problems if there's a swap. Imagine having a 4 PM departure that first gets moved to 6 and then gets moved to 5. You're going to have some people miss their flight who otherwise wouldn't, because they're going to show up at the gate at 5:15.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Agreed that the final and worst glitch was not updating the departure time. Had they posted a delay this morning, I could have re-arranged my travel to get on the earlier flight. I thought about calling this morning, but figured nothing would be done since the flight wasn’t shown as late. And I’ve seen plenty of times where the incoming flight arrives 10 minutes before departure, and times aren’t adjusted, but this was the first time I saw a flight arrive AFTER a departure. I thought not even UA IT was that messed up, but silly me. Henry the thought that the glitch as that this was the flight using the gate after we left.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not new, and it's not a glitch
Yes, it's been going on forever.

While this can be frustrating, keep in mind that UA provides more info on where your aircraft is coming from than any other carrier. I personally prefer more information, even though it's not always updated as quickly as we might like.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought about calling this morning, but figured nothing would be done since the flight wasn’t shown as late.
A good agent would have told you that they could always swap aircraft. (A bad agent would have just said "my system says it's on time.")
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
but this was the first time I saw a flight arrive AFTER a departure.
Seen that enough. Sometimes it means there will be a swap, sometimes it means you're facing a delay.

Flight planning is dynamic. UA may not make a decision to do a swap (or even a cancel) until they have a better sense how bad the delay is. In the meantime, the information that's available to passengers is potentially garbage. Sometimes it's all about living with uncertainty
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Flight planning is dynamic. UA may not make a decision to do a swap (or even a cancel) until they have a better sense how bad the delay is. In the meantime, the information that's available to passengers is potentially garbage. Sometimes it's all about living with uncertainty
Incidentally -- that flight is currently scheduled for a 10:35 PM arrival (1 hour, 53 minutes late). It departed at 7:37 PM -- 90 minutes late -- but they're vectoring around around storms in the flight path. (FlightAware shows 1,833 miles planned; 1,558 direct).

It's possible that operations looked at this and decided that they were going to have to wait out these storms anyway, which could have factored into the flight planning as well.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Currently scheduled on UA 1565 IAH-SJO. Scheduled departure time was 6:07. I noticed this morning that the inbound aircraft was UA1570, BZE-IAH, which was scheduled to arrive at 6:08. I figured this was a glitch, that the inbound somehow got mixed up with the flight that was supposed to use the gate after we left.

Silly me. That’s the inbound flight. Just received notice that UA1565 is delayed 53 minutes awaiting delayed aircraft. Which is UA1570, which is running 3 minutes late. In otherwords, they scheduled the inbound aircraft knowing full well it would seriously delay my flight, and yet kept the flight on time all day until it was too late to do anything about it.

I’ve seen some asinine actions by OPS, but this takes the cake for me. Currently scheduled to arrive at 10pm, with a 78m delay.

Sorry for the vent
Let's be clear. UA doesn't schedule these kinds of turns in advance. But it has IRROPS throughout the system, and is doing what it can to get the system working best for everyone. That might help your flight on any given date, or cause a delay on another. As mentioned, flight planning is dynamic, and I often, between the time flight status is available two days prior to departure to departure time see a frame swap - sometimes multiple.

I've seen inbound aircraft scheduled to be late for the flight I'm on, and then it goes out on time because they have a swap. I've also seen it the other way - an aircraft that is scheduled, for say, a 2 hour turn, and we end up going out late due to a plane swap. Presumably, for whatever reason, the plane scheduled was given to another flight (presumably so it takes a lesser delay than it would otherwise), despite giving my flight a short delay. Or that aircraft has gone MX, and so can't run like it was supposed to. As a layman looking at one flight, it's impossible to say that its the wrong decision - those in ops have an overview of the system and are doing the best they can to keep everything moving as close to on time as possible.

It turns out this flight did have an aircraft change. Per FlightStats, looks like the plane was going to use N13248, but on Aug. 3 (today), 12:14 UTC was swapped to N24212. Can't say why, but it was. Per FlightAware, it says the aircraft last flew into IAH yesterday, arriving from SFO at 10:20 pm, didn't fly anywhere today, and is scheduled to operate UA 1563 to DEN at 5:30am tomorrow. With it not flying anywhere today, my best guess is it went MX, and so they changed your aircraft. Better to know this before and take a 2 hour delay, rather than fly an aircraft that was broken. Also better to discover this early - if they didn't until, say, just before departure time, the delay could have been worse.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Seen that enough. Sometimes it means there will be a swap, sometimes it means you're facing a delay.

This. There's so much going on behind the scenes, they don't post a delay until they are reasonably sure its going to be delayed that long. Could do a swap and leave on time (seen that enough), or new plane could have something change before it takes off - have ATC delays in, etc. There's so much that can happen/change. I would rather get a new time that is fairly accurate than see rolling delays or a delay that gets rescinded.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I would rather get a new time that is fairly accurate than see rolling delays or a delay that gets rescinded.
Rolling delays are the worst.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
In March I had an EWR-LAX flight that was delayed 16 minute due to late inbound, new departure was 2:30 PM, but when I clicked "Where's it coming from" the inbound was showing 42 minutes early and "actual" arrival time was 12:30 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Phil Level
In March I had an EWR-LAX flight that was delayed 16 minute due to late inbound, new departure was 2:30 PM, but when I clicked "Where's it coming from" the inbound was showing 42 minutes early and "actual" arrival time was 12:30 PM.
Could be late inbound crew rather than late inbound plane.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:00 am

Unhappy Flying on UA 726 SFO-EWR tonight...shows On-Time but inbound A/C is 3.5 hours late

Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to see what everyone would do in my situation.

We're taking one of our few vacations this year and I just wanted it to go without a hitch...so far I'm a little bit concerned.

We're flying on UA726 tonight 1040pm SFO-EWR. Showing on time as of this morning.

Then I check the inbound aircraft (where is this flight coming from) , UA 724 HNL to SFO showing 3.5 hours late due to late inbound due to mechanical estimated to arrive SFO at 1203am

The inbound for that is UA1175 SFO to HNL which is 4 hours and 29 minutes late due to mechanical. 9am departure now 130pm.

What would you do? We didn't do upgrades this time, but we got good seats in economy plus. I guess I can SDC to another flight if possible but the seats would most likely suck.

I know sometimes they find some other aircraft to fly the route to keep it on time....but how long should I wait?

Oh well.....I'm just starting my day and I'm already looking at a potential 4 hour delay.

Thanks for you feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.