FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   List of UA systems issues we want fixed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1519832-list-ua-systems-issues-we-want-fixed.html)

Tracer_SEA Nov 8, 2013 11:11 am

List of UA systems issues we want fixed

There are a number of threads like this classic one that highlight flaws and bugs in UA systems:
Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES

Before heading into the realm of business policy changes that we may want (keep the current award redemption levels, make GPUs good on all fares, etc.) I was wondering if we can harness the power of this community and its polling and Wiki features to create a priority list of specific things that we want UA to fix. That way it will also be easy to track how much UA can actually accomplish and how long it takes. It should be ordered with the most critical/impactful items at the top

Hopefully this can be done constructively rather than devolve into a rant or get merged into a giant thread where it will get lost.

Here are a few of my suggestions -- I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. So which are important to you?

* Upgrade system that works in real time (as opposed to sweeps) and reliably clears instrument-supported upgrades from the waitlist in order when R is available and CPU upgrades within their windows when CPU u/gs are available
* Clarity and detail on what "Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins" exists, given that IN availability seems to always equal I
* Reliable and quick redeposit of upgrade instruments after flights don't clear, and of miles and taxes after award tickets are cancelled
* Fix glitches associated with ticketing and schedule changes on partner awards that cause Itineraries to self-cancel
* Transparency on "UP" fares to clarify what the consumer is buying and what they are entitled to in case of irrops (Is it an "economy ticket with a free upgrade" like Y/B or is it truly a premium cabin ticket?)
* Ability to waitlist upgrades using instruments within 24 hours
* Restore expert mode data to My Itineraries view

* Fix the "random seat changes" issue
* Fix the issues with upgrades on Y awards for entitled credit card holders
* Calculate mileage correctly during purchase and on My Itineraries (500 mile minimums, bonuses, etc.)
* Fix PNR splitting
* Improve reliability of EasyUpdate mails and calls
* Quick and consistent posting of miles/flights
* Fix issues with International OLCI and ability for non-US pax to input APIS data
* Improved multi-city award search
* Red-flag marker on main MyItins page/email notification for itins with activity (schedule changes, upgrades clear, etc.)
* Fix infant ticketing process
* Ability to view fare rules from My Itineraries, and clear & comprehensive inclusion of fare basis information in ticket confirmation email
* Make my 'Billing Country' selection stick

UA-NYC Nov 8, 2013 11:16 am

Great suggestion! To add to the list:

- fix the "random seat changes" issue
- in addition to the I/IN issue, address the same for R/RN

coplatua1k Nov 8, 2013 11:20 am

Please address the Mileage Plus upgrade reward system when using a the President Platinum card, or whatever its called these days. If I use miles for a Y ticket I should end up on the upgrade list. Often times I do not. Email to 1Kvoice is a waste of time. All said I don't even agree with the program. However, if it is available make it work correctly.

jpezaris Nov 8, 2013 11:31 am

500 mile minimums showing up correctly on booking pages (and on booked tickets).

palmetto86 Nov 8, 2013 11:33 am

- Stop companion PNR splitting!
- Miles that post promptly
- EasyUpdate text or phone calls or emails that actually align with my preferences in my profile

One more although I think it's more policy: phone agents should be able to put me on a standby list!

mduell Nov 8, 2013 11:36 am

A few of those aren't system issues, they're data release policy.

Anyway, I'd like four things fixed in terms of system issues:
- Quick and reliable posting of miles/segments flown. I should be able to see credit for the current segment on in flight wifi before I land.
- Not having to split PNRs to standby for upgrades.
- Being able to standby for an upgrade inside T-24.
- Reliable online checkin for international flights.

kb1992 Nov 8, 2013 11:46 am

I'm fine with current system so I can grab upgrades when R opens up at 23:59 mark. :D:D:D

787fan Nov 8, 2013 11:46 am

I'm not asking for much :

1. A straight forward upgrade processing that doesn't get stuck in the queue or have people jumping line left and right because they found R space

2. A multi-city award search that actually works (at least get to 3 segments)

mrydoc Nov 8, 2013 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 21750875)
Please address the Mileage Plus upgrade reward system when using a the President Platinum card, or whatever its called these days. If I use miles for a Y ticket I should end up on the upgrade list. Often times I do not. Email to 1Kvoice is a waste of time. All said I don't even agree with the program. However, if it is available make it work correctly.

+1
Nothing ever goes right with upgrades on award tickets for me, and the most gate/phone dont even understand what you are trying to do.

hobo13 Nov 8, 2013 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 21751056)
I'm fine with current system so I can grab upgrades when R opens up at 23:59 mark. :D:D:D

Yeah, how about they just not break (or 'enhance') anything else?

After almost a decade in the miles and points game, I've learned that programs very rarely get better. I'll settle for the status quo! Unfortunately, that never happens.

lingzhou Nov 8, 2013 1:21 pm

-booking other *alliance reward ticket, the reservation info may get lost

kb1992 Nov 8, 2013 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13 (Post 21751620)
Yeah, how about they just not break (or 'enhance') anything else?

After almost a decade in the miles and points game, I've learned that programs very rarely get better. I'll settle for the status quo! Unfortunately, that never happens.

I think the word "Enhancement" is viewed universally negative by people here. :p:p:p

These days, I am scared to hear "enhancement" from UA.

drewguy Nov 8, 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jpezaris (Post 21750944)
500 mile minimums showing up correctly on booking pages (and on booked tickets).

And on the mileage calculator page of the website.

Zappity Nov 8, 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA (Post 21750830)

* Upgrade system that works in real time (as opposed to sweeps) and reliably clears instrument-supported upgrades from the waitlist in order when R is available and CPU upgrades within their windows when CPU u/gs are available

This is simply not possible with SHARES. Shares is a batch-based system. Everything has to be done in batches.

Down the road, some day, the airline will move to Amadeus. However, as this is a $30M project, it has been shelved for a long time. By the time it happens, United will likely be known as Lufthansa USA ;)

bmr12 Nov 8, 2013 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Zappity (Post 21752194)
This is simply not possible with SHARES. Shares is a batch-based system. Everything has to be done in batches.

That's fine, but there's nothing to stop them from automatically kicking off a batch immediately after opening up R space.