List of UA systems issues we want fixed

Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
List of UA systems issues we want fixed

There are a number of threads like this classic one that highlight flaws and bugs in UA systems:
Comprehensive List of Expected Changes/Lost Functionality when United Moves to SHARES

Before heading into the realm of business policy changes that we may want (keep the current award redemption levels, make GPUs good on all fares, etc.) I was wondering if we can harness the power of this community and its polling and Wiki features to create a priority list of specific things that we want UA to fix. That way it will also be easy to track how much UA can actually accomplish and how long it takes. It should be ordered with the most critical/impactful items at the top

Hopefully this can be done constructively rather than devolve into a rant or get merged into a giant thread where it will get lost.

Here are a few of my suggestions -- I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. So which are important to you?

* Upgrade system that works in real time (as opposed to sweeps) and reliably clears instrument-supported upgrades from the waitlist in order when R is available and CPU upgrades within their windows when CPU u/gs are available
* Clarity and detail on what "Better availability for United Saver Awards in select premium cabins" exists, given that IN availability seems to always equal I
* Reliable and quick redeposit of upgrade instruments after flights don't clear, and of miles and taxes after award tickets are cancelled
* Fix glitches associated with ticketing and schedule changes on partner awards that cause Itineraries to self-cancel
* Transparency on "UP" fares to clarify what the consumer is buying and what they are entitled to in case of irrops (Is it an "economy ticket with a free upgrade" like Y/B or is it truly a premium cabin ticket?)
* Ability to waitlist upgrades using instruments within 24 hours
* Restore expert mode data to My Itineraries view

* Fix the "random seat changes" issue
* Fix the issues with upgrades on Y awards for entitled credit card holders
* Calculate mileage correctly during purchase and on My Itineraries (500 mile minimums, bonuses, etc.)
* Fix PNR splitting
* Improve reliability of EasyUpdate mails and calls
* Quick and consistent posting of miles/flights
* Fix issues with International OLCI and ability for non-US pax to input APIS data
* Improved multi-city award search
* Red-flag marker on main MyItins page/email notification for itins with activity (schedule changes, upgrades clear, etc.)
* Fix infant ticketing process
* Ability to view fare rules from My Itineraries, and clear & comprehensive inclusion of fare basis information in ticket confirmation email
* Make my 'Billing Country' selection stick

Last edited by Tracer_SEA; Mar 26, 2014 at 11:56 am Reason: Adding suggestions from subsequent posts
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Great suggestion! To add to the list:

- fix the "random seat changes" issue
- in addition to the I/IN issue, address the same for R/RN
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Please address the Mileage Plus upgrade reward system when using a the President Platinum card, or whatever its called these days. If I use miles for a Y ticket I should end up on the upgrade list. Often times I do not. Email to 1Kvoice is a waste of time. All said I don't even agree with the program. However, if it is available make it work correctly.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:31 am

500 mile minimums showing up correctly on booking pages (and on booked tickets).
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
- Stop companion PNR splitting!
- Miles that post promptly
- EasyUpdate text or phone calls or emails that actually align with my preferences in my profile

One more although I think it's more policy: phone agents should be able to put me on a standby list!

Last edited by palmetto86; Nov 8, 2013 at 11:39 am
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A few of those aren't system issues, they're data release policy.

Anyway, I'd like four things fixed in terms of system issues:
- Quick and reliable posting of miles/segments flown. I should be able to see credit for the current segment on in flight wifi before I land.
- Not having to split PNRs to standby for upgrades.
- Being able to standby for an upgrade inside T-24.
- Reliable online checkin for international flights.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I'm fine with current system so I can grab upgrades when R opens up at 23:59 mark.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I'm not asking for much :

1. A straight forward upgrade processing that doesn't get stuck in the queue or have people jumping line left and right because they found R space

2. A multi-city award search that actually works (at least get to 3 segments)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
Please address the Mileage Plus upgrade reward system when using a the President Platinum card, or whatever its called these days. If I use miles for a Y ticket I should end up on the upgrade list. Often times I do not. Email to 1Kvoice is a waste of time. All said I don't even agree with the program. However, if it is available make it work correctly.
+1
Nothing ever goes right with upgrades on award tickets for me, and the most gate/phone dont even understand what you are trying to do.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
I'm fine with current system so I can grab upgrades when R opens up at 23:59 mark.
Yeah, how about they just not break (or 'enhance') anything else?

After almost a decade in the miles and points game, I've learned that programs very rarely get better. I'll settle for the status quo! Unfortunately, that never happens.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: United
-booking other *alliance reward ticket, the reservation info may get lost
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hobo13
Yeah, how about they just not break (or 'enhance') anything else?

After almost a decade in the miles and points game, I've learned that programs very rarely get better. I'll settle for the status quo! Unfortunately, that never happens.
I think the word "Enhancement" is viewed universally negative by people here.

These days, I am scared to hear "enhancement" from UA.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jpezaris
500 mile minimums showing up correctly on booking pages (and on booked tickets).
And on the mileage calculator page of the website.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA

* Upgrade system that works in real time (as opposed to sweeps) and reliably clears instrument-supported upgrades from the waitlist in order when R is available and CPU upgrades within their windows when CPU u/gs are available
This is simply not possible with SHARES. Shares is a batch-based system. Everything has to be done in batches.

Down the road, some day, the airline will move to Amadeus. However, as this is a $30M project, it has been shelved for a long time. By the time it happens, United will likely be known as Lufthansa USA
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Zappity
This is simply not possible with SHARES. Shares is a batch-based system. Everything has to be done in batches.
That's fine, but there's nothing to stop them from automatically kicking off a batch immediately after opening up R space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.