Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using Miles to Upgrade on United {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Miles to Upgrade on United {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I am trying to book an economy with business class mileage upgrade on UA for GVA-DEN. Aeroplan is showing I inventory on GVA-IAD but not on IAD-DEN. UA.com only shows "Upgrade Waitlist" for the entire trip when I try and book it online. Will the GVA-IAD clear as soon as I book it? I don't understand why it won't clear me into the I space when I search online.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you using UA miles? Why are you searching on Aeroplan? Aeroplan does not display UA upgrade availability.

That said, if there is I, there is likely R. And yes, if there is R available on GVA-IAD, but not IAD-DEN, the GVA-IAD will clear at booking, and IAD-DEN will waitlist.
I'm sorry. Let me be clearer. I use Aeroplan as a search for I on UA, thinking that I and R are correlated and I like the calendar search feature on Aeroplan. I am aware of expert mode showing availability on .com, and go there afterwards to look for R space. The problem that prompted my post is that .com does NOT show availability for each segment in R if I book a connecting flight. I can only see availability on the first segment in R (I mistakenly said "I" in my post) if I search for that segment separately. Hence my question on how it will ticket if I book an upgrade request for the connecting flight, which you answered !

Last edited by economyplusfan; Mar 30, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
The day is 8/21
It's really impossible to predict this far out.

MCO is a leisure destination, which means odds of upgrade in general are higher than on a hub-to-hub or primarily business route.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:01 am

Dumb question, if I use a pay and upgrade with miles is there anyway to guarantee the upgrade or do I always go on the wait list? Any way to find likely hood of an upgrade from JFK to LHR?

Thanks!

-Bob
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by vtbobf
Dumb question, if I use a pay and upgrade with miles is there anyway to guarantee the upgrade or do I always go on the wait list? Any way to find likely hood of an upgrade from JFK to LHR?

Thanks!

-Bob
UA does not fly JFK-LHR so your chances of upgrading on UA from JFK-LHR are zero. Out of EWR though they usually don't release upgrade space until a few days prior to departure (about the same time they release saver award space), as EWR-LHR is a premium heavy route. If you use expert mode you can look for R space which will allow an automatic upgrade, but if you have already booked I would recommend requesting now as if R opens you will automatically clear.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:16 am

yes sorry EWR I'll look for R space. I have not booked yet. Also if I book economy plus and then an upgrade i'll get a credit for the economy plus I already spent right? Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...if I use a pay and upgrade with miles is there anyway to guarantee the upgrade or do I always go on the wait list?...
The only guaranteed upgrade is if R class is available at booking, otherwise you go on waitlist, where you are ranked for clearing by status, then purchased fare class, and then time of booking. Once on the waitlist, you may or may not get the upgrade.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
UA does not fly JFK-LHR so your chances of upgrading on UA from JFK-LHR are zero. Out of EWR though they usually don't release upgrade space until a few days prior to departure (about the same time they release saver award space), as EWR-LHR is a premium heavy route. If you use expert mode you can look for R space which will allow an automatic upgrade, but if you have already booked I would recommend requesting now as if R opens you will automatically clear.
It says R isn't a valid fare class? I'm trying to upgrade from economy to business. Thanks again!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says R isn't a valid fare class? I'm trying to upgrade from economy to business. Thanks again!
You can't search for "R" as a purchasable fare.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You can't search for R as a fare class. Enable Expert Mode then click "Details" under each flight to see the available fare classes (including R).

Out of EWR though they usually don't release upgrade space until a few days prior to departure (about the same time they release saver award space), as EWR-LHR is a premium heavy route.
R may be released any time from from beginning of schedule onwards.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also expand search options and select MUA as upgrade type under fare preferences.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
R may be released any time from from beginning of schedule onwards.
While it can be released at any time I have found that usually it is not released until closer in, especially on premium heavy routes such as EWR-LHR
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:22 pm

While it can be released at any time I have found that usually it is not released until closer in, especially on premium heavy routes such as EWR-LHR
I would call both SFO-HKG and SFO-NRT "premium heavy" routes and many of us have been quite successful clearing R months in advance on those routes.

And if we go to the "GPU Success" thread we will find multiple examples of "premium heavy" routes clearing months in advance.

It's simply not accurate to state that R is only available close to departure.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:51 pm

I would call both SFO-HKG and SFO-NRT "premium heavy" routes and many of us have been quite successful clearing R months in advance on those routes.

And if we go to the "GPU Success" thread we will find multiple examples of "premium heavy" routes clearing months in advance.

It's simply not accurate to state that R is only available close to departure.
Thanks for my ignorance but how do I go about trying to 'clear' an R. I don't have status right now and I'd really like to try and get us upgraded if possible
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for my ignorance but how do I go about trying to 'clear' an R. I don't have status right now and I'd really like to try and get us upgraded if possible
If 2 seats are allocated to R at booking, all you need to do is buy the economy tickets and upgrade immediately.

If you're on a waitlist (no R at booking), United will upgrade (clear) those on the waitlist in the order of priority as seats are made available. There is often a time gap (probably hours or less) between allocation of seats to R and upgrade sweeps. During that time, some on a waitlist have had success cutting the queue by calling and asking for the upgrade since R is visible and available. The agents really shouldn't do it (they should clear in order of waitlist), but the gap upgrade space is also available to people buying tickets during that gap. It's a gray area caused by UA's inefficient IT, which should not show R availability if there's a waitlist. It requires you to spend a lot of time trying to catch that gap R availability in a waitlist situation. For example, it might show up at midnight your time once in 7 days - totally hypothetical, but I wanted to give you an idea of what's involved catching R open where you can cut the queue. Your chances of clearing with normally with no status is low/zero on busier travel days.

Another thing - if you're #1 and #2 on waitlist and on the same reservation, and UA allocates only one seat to R, UA will probably pass you both over and give the upgrade to the next single-passenger reservation, who may be #3. You might as well split the reservation to increase upgrade chances. Of course, one outcome might be one with an upgrade and the other not (ie stewing in the back).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 4, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:51 pm

I applied two miles upgrades SFO-IAD-SFO and was waitlisted on both. I then later needed to change the itinerary and am now SFO-LAS-IAD-SFO. When the itin was changed, the outbound upgrade request disappeared, but the return stayed in place. However, SFO-LAS and LAS-IAD had available R inventory. I applied a miles upgrade and was immediately confirmed.

Now, I'd like to withdraw the original IAD-SFO waitlist request. Three questions:

1. 24 hours later, the miles for the original SFO-IAD waitlist request have not been redeposited in my account. Reservations desk sends me to MileagePlus, who sends me back to reservations. Anyone have experience with how long this will take to occur, and whether it's automatic or I'll need to email customer care?
2. Premier desk agent couldn't withdraw the IAD-SFO upgrade request because, according to her (a) it's not possible to do that per segment, only per itin (so I'd lose the confirmed space SFO-LAS-IAD) and (b) that's considered a 'miles redeposit' and I'd be subject to the applicable fee ($125 as a silver). Are either of those correct per United policy or is this a HUACA situation?
3. If I did find a way to get the upgrade request withdrawn, is that also subject to a delay, or will that happen instantly?

Last edited by prometa; Apr 28, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.