Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag check conundrum: 5 flights/4 airlines/3 continents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:03 pm

I had a similar issue a few months back, well sort of. 5 flights, 4 continents, 3 airlines, 15.5k miles, approx 48 hours of travelling give or take - JFK-BRU on SN, BRU-ZRH-PEK on LX and PEK-SIN-MEL on SQ - all in business.

Checking in at JFK i'm told they'll check it to PEK but then I have to recheck for the last 2 segments. I asked if they were sure as i've travelled previously on multiple segment trips (albeit on other *A airlines) where they printed out 2 bag tags and it went through fine, and I didn't have a visa to enter China to be able to recheck anyway (and certainly didn't want the hassle - connecting there was more than enough for me).

The checkin supervisor was called who agreed with the agent that they couldn't do it and the furthest they could check it was PEK (not even SIN where I had a longer layover and could enter visa free). But eventually what they decided was they'd radio their people to retag the bags further along the trip for my last flights so I wouldn't have to do it myself in PEK which seemed like the best option.

That was until after the initial tags printed, suddenly more tags with my later flights started coming out of the bag tag printer. Well what do you know, even though they'd never seen it before (supervisor included) it is possible My bags each had 2 bag tags on them and came out fine at the end.

goodo
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
I had a similar situation last year and found that UA system could only generate one luggage tag with 3 flights on it. So, the solution was for the agent to hand write the second luggage tag. I saw the bags at LHR but came up one short at destination, transferred to LH. To further complicate maters the first luggage tag was missing and our records linked the luggage back to the missing one. After proof of ID and itinerary I was given the bag, alto a day late.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Short checking would be a nightmare anyways... what if you have trouble at immigration somewhere and can't even get to your luggage?

Check it straight through and look on the bright side. If it doesn't arrive in time, you can buy all new gear and clothes, get receipts, and the airline will reimburse you, no? I have a friend who always checks luggage in hopes that it will get lost or delayed. He says it's the only time he ever shops for new clothes.

Just be sure you carry on stuff that you wouldn't be able to buy / replace easily in BLR.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
I am currently on a complex itinerary from NZ to Europe and we checked our baggage through from our stopover in Phuket with no issues - HKT-BKK on TG then BKK-VIE (with 12+ hour stopover) VIE-MUC on OS, finally MUC-ARN on LH.

Apart from a small bit of damage to my hard case bag, all bags turned up OK and even was one of the first out on the baggage claim.

I was a bit skeptical when checking the bags through in Phuket due to the length of time taken and it appeared a supervisor was called for advice, but all ended up being ok - Having all flights on a *A itinerary certainly helps.

I would echo some of the advice from previous FT'ers - If there's anything especially critical you need and you can take it on carry on, I would do so. We both carried a change of clothes on this particular part of our journey, mainly due to the fact we had a full day in VIE, so wanted to be fresh for the day after a shower in one of the OS Senator lounges.

Good luck!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Quick update from my phone. Got bit by the 2 day time frame, they could only check up to SIN. So I opted to short check to FRA. BAG confirmed loaded on LH flight, will claim and recheck at FRA.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/Gold
To affirm something mentioned above ... prior to 3/3 SHARES, we've regularly checked bags from USA to SE Asia on mix of UA and partners (TG, SQ), even when there are ~8 hour overnights -- but with the subsequent flight out as the first flight of the day.

If it is 5 or more segments, the old system would print out two bag tags, the first one with the final destination, and the second one terminating in "-CONJ-" which meant the carriers needed to look at the second tag. We would when transferring carriers show them the receipts and they would ensure the bags were correctly interlined without problems.

After 3/3 SHARES, when we had a 5 segment itinerary, the system was unable to print out CONJ tags. The agents at SFO tried to override it several different ways, but were unable to do so. They ultimately hand-wrote the final destination on a tag, and we took photos with our phones just in case we needed to communicate with another carrier down the line in case something went wrong.

Indeed, all of our bags were delivered mid-itinerary to the transit point at the end of the computer-generated tags.

When we wrote to the 1K voice CSR explaining the situation after our trip last October, they were rather unsympathetic in a form letter response.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Well, I've returned from my trip, here's what ultimately happened.

During checkin at ORF they were unable to generate a bag check all the way to BLR, the best they could do was to SIN. Therefore I opted to have it checked to FRA so I would reclaim and recheck. Talking to one of the gate staff at ORF about the bag issue, I was told that yes, the problem was that the last flight was 2 days after the first flight.

At IAD the LH staff at the SEN Lounge were able to confirm that my bag was set to be loaded onto the IAD-FRA flight. Reclaimed the bag at FRA, enjoyed use of the Welcome Lounge, and rechecked the bag with TG for FRA-BKK-SIN-BLR. At both BKK and SIN, TG and SQ staff were able to confirm that my bag was ready to be loaded onto the next flight.

Bag arrived in BLR, no muss, no fuss!

Originally Posted by manneca
Amazingly, I've never had my bag with my dive gear arrive late (except once on the way back home). I have nothing to add. Other than carry on your regulator and a bathing suit. But the most important thing is where are you diving?
Male Atoll, Rasdhoo Atoll, and North and South Ari Atolls, Maldives.
Liveaboard MV Carpe Diem, completed 17 dives, a wonderful trip! Other than scuba boots, I was barefoot for 7 days.

I only own my wetsuit and mask/fins/etc. I rented both regulator and BCD, picked them up in BLR where I met up with the rest of our group (15 people). I'm not a frequent diver, this was only my 2nd trip (1st was in 2011, also Maldives)

Originally Posted by largeeyes
And you are only in BLR 36 hours and diving? With that much time at altitude to get home, make sure you have plenty of surface time before flying.
I flew out of BLR 36 hours after arriving there. Flew BLR-MLE with the rest of my group.

After our last dive, it was 25 hours till our MLE-BLR flight. Of course, due to a mechanical issue (smoke alarms in cargo bay) and the resulting immediate return to MLE after takeoff (never exceeded 4000 feet) it ultimately was 30 hours between last dive and flying. Then after flying BLR-TRV-BLR-BKK, I was in BKK for 20 hours before flying BKK-LHR-FRA-AMS, then another 18 hours before AMS-EWR-ORF.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 21, 2013 at 3:07 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Is short-checking potentially much worse than interlining?

Just to be clear here, let's say your itin is 4 different airlines, 4 different flights, you short-check your bag, and you're flying from SFO-ORD-FRA-CDG-IST.

Carriers UA-LH-SN-LX (just making this up as I go along).

UA loses your bag on the first leg. Do they have any responsibility for it beyond delivering it to Chicago? Meanwhile you've moved on. Will your bag ever get to you?

Whereas if you've interlined, and UA loses track of the bag, once found, aren't they going to get it delivered to the final destination? So it's possible they could lose the bag and it would still arrive at your destination before you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.