FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Can use PremierAccess lane when flying another carrier? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1490662-can-use-premieraccess-lane-when-flying-another-carrier.html)

FTstudent Aug 3, 2013 8:38 am

Can use PremierAccess lane when flying another carrier?

I'm wondering if anyone knows the policy on using the PremierAccess line at security if you are flying another carrier, but have PremierAccess privilege? JetBlue and UA shared a security checkpoint. My BP was for JetBlue. Could I have shown my PremierAccess card to use the short line? or do line dragons only accept BPs?

flyingnosh Aug 3, 2013 8:55 am

I haven't had to do this recently, but yes, you can show your MP card. The person controlling the entry into the line just wants to make sure you have a boarding pass and that you're elite. Show your MP card clearly. Once you reach the end of the line, where you show your ID, it no longer matters if you have premier access.

Critic Aug 4, 2013 12:26 am

I'll go one step further and say that most line minders don't care about the BP, only that you can provide proof of your status. Back when UA and AC were sharing the A1 pier in EWR, I'd use my MP silver card to get into the elite line at security when flying AC, and the maroon morons wouldnt give me a second look. I think I also did the same at the D/E checkpoint in PHL prior to elite reciprocity between UA & CO.

frankmu Aug 4, 2013 12:33 am

It works at PDX if we have to fly Seaport. We show our elite card to get through. Unfortunately no PreCheck for K5 :p

BuildingMyBento Aug 4, 2013 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Critic (Post 21211107)
I'll go one step further and say that most line minders don't care about the BP, only that you can provide proof of your status. Back when UA and AC were sharing the A1 pier in EWR, I'd use my MP silver card to get into the elite line at security when flying AC, and the maroon morons wouldnt give me a second look. I think I also did the same at the D/E checkpoint in PHL prior to elite reciprocity between UA & CO.

As long as my BP has ***Premier Access*** printed on it (and *G for that matter), I never show my card. Never had a problem before.

kilo Aug 4, 2013 7:43 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 21212007)
As long as my BP has ***Premier Access*** printed on it (and *G for that matter), I never show my card. Never had a problem before.

The OP's situation is different. He doesn't have 'Premier Access' on his BP.

FriendlySkies Aug 4, 2013 7:54 am

I've had no problem using my 1K card to access the DL elite lines @ LGA. Saved at least 30 minutes waiting in line, and skipped the NoS ^

Frederik123 Aug 4, 2013 7:59 am

In my experience, the line dragons will accept your Premier Access card, even if its not printed on your BP. I had this issue a couple of times, when LH (or other) didn't manage to print *G (but UAP) on my BP.

bocastephen Aug 4, 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 21212064)
I've had no problem using my 1K card to access the DL elite lines @ LGA. Saved at least 30 minutes waiting in line, and skipped the NoS ^

I've started buying refundable tickets on DL to get access to Precheck where DL is the only checkpoint (by terminal) with the feature - works great at FLL when flying Air Canada. Saves time and simplifies screening.

TakeTheATrain Aug 4, 2013 11:44 am

I usually show my Premier Gold card when going through security at BOS Terminal C and traveling with Jetblue. They always let me use the Premier Access lane.

kluever Aug 4, 2013 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 21212936)
I've started buying refundable tickets on DL to get access to Precheck where DL is the only checkpoint (by terminal) with the feature - works great at FLL when flying Air Canada. Saves time and simplifies screening.

I once did the same to get lounge access w/ my Plat Amex when flying on United. The possibility for a screw up makes me nervous though (accidentally buying a non-refundable ticket or something).

Hadrian35 Aug 4, 2013 1:36 pm

I do it all the time.

Like others have said, present you MP card and sail on through.

FTstudent Aug 8, 2013 9:59 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and the refundable trick.

aacharya Aug 8, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by FTstudent (Post 21236999)
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and the refundable trick.

Be careful with the refundable trick - as evidenced by your handle, I imagine you can't afford a single mistake there.

z28lt1 Aug 8, 2013 10:55 am

The Line Monitor at IAD specifically told me I had to be flying on the airline of credentials to use it. Not sure how often or closely they actual check.